Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2004 11:37:59 AM EDT
What does the FML and NFML mags stand for?

Also what goodies should I get?

Thx
FireBlade
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations!  The G17 is the first and finest Glock IMHO.

As far as the mags go, FML means they are full metal lined and will drop free on the gun if the mag release is pressed.  NFML means they are not metal lined and they "swell" when loaded, preventing the mag from dropping free if you accidently hit the mag release.

I don't own any NFML mags and I'm not even sure they are being made any more.  You can find 17 round LEO mags for as little at $14 these days so buy several and have fun!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like M4arc coverd the mags. As for goodies, eyes, ears, cleaning kit and range bag, if you don't already have them. Other necessities are extra mags, ammo, holster, mag carrier and night sights.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Goodies? all depends on what you plan on doing with your G17. There are tons of aftermarket goodies for glocks but, without knowing what you plan on doing , it's hard to suggest them.

One thing i do suggest for cleaning. get yourself a boresnake and forget about the brush and patches.

J
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#4]
One good purchase: a glock dissassembly tool (see this link).

Other good ideas: plug for the void behind the magwell, extended mag release, extended slide release, night sights.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It looks like M4arc coverd the mags. As for goodies, eyes, ears, cleaning kit and range bag, if you don't already have them. Other necessities are extra mags, ammo, holster, mag carrier and night sights.

Sorry I skipped over the other goodies but az-gunner is right on.  Other than night sights I wouldn't mess with a Glock...no need to.  Shoot it and clean it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Congratulations!  The G17 is the first and finest Glock IMHO.

As far as the mags go, FML means they are full metal lined and will drop free on the gun if the mag release is pressed.  NFML means they are not metal lined and they "swell" when loaded, preventing the mag from dropping free if you accidently hit the mag release.

I don't own any NFML mags and I'm not even sure they are being made any more.  You can find 17 round LEO mags for as little at $14 these days so buy several and have fun!

Had my one of my mags that came with my 2gen G21 loaded basicly since I had the gun , and my mag has not swelled at ALL !!! It is a drop free mag ...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats!  I've had my G17 for about 15 years and it's my favorite handgun of all.  Never a problem with it whatsoever.  Clean it after each use and it'll last you forever.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My G17 was my first Glock. She has never let me down.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:53:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Had my one of my mags that came with my 2gen G21 loaded basicly since I had the gun , and my mag has not swelled at ALL !!! It is a drop free mag ...

Maybe you misunderstood me; "drop free" or FML mags do not swell when loaded.  The metal prevents that.  In the case of the NFML or "non-drop free" mags they would expand slightly when loaded to capacity preventing an accidental mag release.  Even some NFML mags would still drop free of the mag well when loaded.  If you had a FML or "drop free" mag like you said you would not have experienced this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry I skipped over the other goodies but az-gunner is right on.  Other than night sights I wouldn't mess with a Glock...no need to.  Shoot it and clean it.

What about stainless steel guide rod and spring and a 3.5# trigger?

I'm a lefty, so I will get the ext mag release and ext slide stop.

I love the rail its so cool to just slip on a light or laser.  Laser and nightvision tooooo cool, watch out varments.

Also an ext bbl is on the way also. just got to decide on a suppressor.

Thx
FireBlade
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love the rail its so cool to just slip on a light or laser.  Laser and nightvision tooooo cool, watch out varments.

Thx
FireBlade

I don't screw around with my Glocks.  I shoot them and clean them.  Mine have been 100% reliable out of the box so I haven't found a need to tinker with them.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you misunderstood me; "drop free" or FML mags do not swell when loaded.  The metal prevents that.  In the case of the NFML or "non-drop free" mags they would expand slightly when loaded to capacity preventing an accidental mag release.  Even some NFML mags would still drop free of the mag well when loaded.  If you had a FML or "drop free" mag like you said you would not have experienced this.

Sorry...all I know is that when I hit the mag release the Full mag dont drop ...
maybe all the CLP has killed my brain cells !!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sorry...all I know is that when I hit the mag release the Full mag dont drop ...
maybe all the CLP has killed my brain cells !!!

You're not suppose to drink it!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:10:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thx
FireBlade

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Therer's nothing wrong with the guide rod or trigger "as is" from the factory.

As a fellow Southpaw, I can say that the ext slide release may help, but isn't necessary and most assuredly warn you-DO NOT get the ext mag release. I have inadvertantly hit the mag release while drawing several times in competion when I had an ext mag release installed on my Glocks.  It's much easier for a lefty to accidently bump the mag release when drawing since the release is orientated facing away from your body.  As it is, the mag release from the factory is much better for us as we can keep the pistol on target while we safely punch out the mag with our index/trigger finger.  Try it, you'll see.

As to the laser and ext bbl w/ silencer... Hell, why not.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#16]
FireBlade:

I have had a Glock 19 for years and just recently ordered a Glock 17 cause you know my Glock 19 needed a big sister :-) You sure did not go wrong with a Glock 17!

Anyways truthfully the only goodies that i'd consider for it is a good set of PT Night sights and maybe one of those plastic grip plugs that also helps the mag slide in more rapidly and efficently. Go to www.topglock.com and www.eaglefirearms.net and check that stuff out! I think one of those places is having a heck of a sale of night sights right now. You have to have a gunsmith install the sights though unless you buy the installation tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top