Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2011 9:33:31 PM EDT
I bought a used G22, that I have only seen in pics so far, and haven't picked it up yet.  The pics just look like a standard Glock type finish (the slicker, type finish used for the past 7 or 8 years or so).  The seller has told me that he had the slide "reblued" to cover some holster wear.  I was not even aware that you could actually blue a Glock slide, with the Tenifer treatment.  Anyone seen this done?  What would be the correct process, and how would it hold up?  I suspect a media blast, then a hot blue bath?  I wonder how this is going to hold up, versus the original finish.  I would have just prefered to have the holster wear, on the original finish, to tell you the truth.  

I hope to make it to the shop today to look this gun over.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#1]
could just be old school and think that any refinish is rebluing just like old folks wrongly call mags clips.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock's can not be blued.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:00:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Couldn't be blued unless the tenifer was stripped off and the slide taken down to bare metal, then have it blued... maybe
Can't imagine anybody doing that, but you never know.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The original owner probably sent it back to Glock and had it refinished.  "Reblued" was probably a generic term he used instead of "refinished".
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The original owner probably sent it back to Glock and had it refinished.  "Reblued" was probably a generic term he used instead of "refinished".

Well, he said a local 'smith did the 'reblue', but then again, he has said some other things that raise an eyebrow.  I'm just gonna have to go check it out and see.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, he said a local 'smith did the 'reblue', but then again, he has said some other things that raise an eyebrow.  I'm just gonna have to go check it out and see.

I would be worried that "reblued" really meant "krylon".
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Couldn't be blued unless the tenifer was stripped off and the slide taken down to bare metal, then have it blued... maybe
Can't imagine anybody doing that, but you never know.

Tenifer is a metal conditioning process that hardens and makes rust resistant the surface of steel.  You can't "strip" it short of removing metal. Glock has a black finish applied over the Tenifer metal treatment.  

I've had Glock slides refinished with black oxide with no surface prep other than degreasing.  It looked exactly like the finish found on Glock 1st and 2nd generation guns.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've had Glock slides refinished with black oxide with no surface prep other than degreasing.  It looked exactly like the finish found on Glock 1st and 2nd generation guns.

I prefer the older, park type finish of the 1st and 2nd gens, to this newer slick finish.  Where did you have yours done in the black oxide?  If the price was right, I might just send in all four of my slides to get the duller, more grippy finish on my guns.  I suppose if you send it in to Glock, they refinish it with the current, slicker finish.

I went and checked it out yesterday.  It looks just almost like my three other glocks, that are anywhere from 2-6 years old.  It may be just a bit more blue, than black, than my other ones, but it sure looks the same in texture, to a stock finish.  Maybe they can be blued without blasting?  Who knew?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I had mine refinished by a local industral refinishing company that did hot bath black oxide.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I suppose if you send it in to Glock, they refinish it with the current, slicker finish.

The Gen4s are more like a park'd finish than the Gen3s. More grey, less pebbled, and less shiny. So I think you could send it in to get it finished like the Gen4s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top