Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2004 7:41:41 PM EDT
I just got my first glock today.  Right after I bought it I swung by and picked up my dad to go shoot it.  We were driving along a highway headed out to the shooting range my dad was taking apart the pistol and putting it back together.  I looked over just as he was pointing it out the window at the ground to dry fire it right when he pulled the trigger I saw the slide coming off before I could say anything it was too late it already fell out of the window.  I was going 65 mph at the time. I thought I was going to throw up.  I pulled over and the slide  is sitting in the middle of the road about 30 yards back.  I ran over there dodging traffic praying nobody would hit it.  I picked up the slide the barrel and spring are no where to be found.  After 20 min of searching I find the barrel and spring on the opposite side of the highway.  The slide has some scratches and goughes the back sight is brokon of.  Not really any damage to the barrel or spring just minor scratches.  We headed out to the range any way, man this thing shot nice.  Every thing seemed to work fine.  Now I'm looking for a good set of night sights.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn... I bet he felt like a complete ASSHAT huh?  At least I would have.

Im glad you found everything.  It would have been embarassing to have to explain what you were doing if an LEO stopped by to see if he could help.

Just goes to show you what kind of punishment a Glock can take.  I absolutely LOVE mine.

Get yourself a good set of Meprolights, and your ready to rock and roll again!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, I thought you were gonna say that you had a KaBoom or something the way your title read.

I'm sorry your new Glock had to suffer some indignity; but your experience proves the reliabilty of that pistol.  I don't think you can hurt the pistol...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If the sights were the original plastic sights, he probably did you a favor.  Put in some good night sights and you will be thrilled.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I looked over just as he was pointing it out the window at the ground to dry fire it right when he pulled the trigger I saw the slide coming off before I could say anything it was too late it already fell out of the window.

You're not only lucky your pistol survived with minor damage, you're also lucky some other Arizonan didn't see your dad pointing a pistol out the window on a busy AZ highway and call DPS, or just shoot him themself because they were in fear for their life.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Corp Steiner brings up a good point.

Was this on I-17 on your way to Ben Avery?

Did you pick up some flyers for gun safety courses while you were at the range?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:34:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#7]
two things i'm against in cars.. drinking and playing with guns.

J
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
It was not too big of a deal.  The highway was a rural one out in the bonnies down by sierra vist.  It was not a safety issue the ammo was in the bed of the truck.  He is offering to buy me night sights.  The scratches add some charcter and a good story.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It was not too big of a deal.  The highway was a rural one out in the bonnies down by sierra vist.  It was not a safety issue the ammo was in the bed of the truck.  He is offering to buy me night sights.  The scratches add some charcter and a good story.

Take him up on his offer.  If I were in his place I'd feel bad for a long time if you didnt at least let me do that.

And I'd have to agree with J here.  Rural area or not, if an LEO had seen your dad pointing a gun out the window yall might have ended up in the county funded hotel with a shiney pair of new bracelets.

Not to mention if grandma drove by she might have wet her panties and swallowed her dentures.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I watched mine tumble down a flight of concrete stairs like a damn "slinky"  bam...bam...bam...bam all the way down the stairs it just adds character to the gun and any gun mishap that dosen't get you arrested or causes an injury/severe property damage is a valuable lesson to learn from.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:26:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just got my first glock today.  Right after I bought it I swung by and picked up my dad to go shoot it.  We were driving along a highway headed out to the shooting range my dad was taking apart the pistol and putting it back together.  I looked over just as he was pointing it out the window at the ground to dry fire it right when he pulled the trigger I saw the slide coming off before I could say anything it was too late it already fell out of the window.  I was going 65 mph at the time. I thought I was going to throw up.  I pulled over and the slide  is sitting in the middle of the road about 30 yards back.  I ran over there dodging traffic praying nobody would hit it.  I picked up the slide the barrel and spring are no where to be found.  After 20 min of searching I find the barrel and spring on the opposite side of the highway.  The slide has some scratches and goughes the back sight is brokon of.  Not really any damage to the barrel or spring just minor scratches.  We headed out to the range any way, man this thing shot nice.  Every thing seemed to work fine.  Now I'm looking for a good set of night sights.

I have my stock sights if you need them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:41:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Post a pic

Joe
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Post a pic of what?

Quoted:
Post a pic

Joe

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#15]
New listing on EE:

Glock, never fired, only dropped once.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my dad too. He has been a constant teacher of what to do and what NOT to do.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
New listing on EE:

Glock, never fired, only dropped once.

The french use Glocks?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#18]
[HankHill] Dammit, Dad!! [HankHill]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone care to duplicate that test with their nickle plated sissy pistol?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Dad needs a refresher course in gun safety.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:52:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Send your gun to ccr refinishing (www.ccr-refinishing) and have them trick it out for you.  You will be happy with their work.  Here is my G36 in tiger stripe.
Chris
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#22]
really, the stock sights are crap anyway. I had them on my glock 17 for a while until I noticed that the front sight was lower than it started out due to it wearing down from drawing the gun from a holster. Seems it's made out of plastic.

Get some decent night sights and you will be better off anyway. As for the rest (scratches and gouges), glocks are butt ugly anyway. Just adds character.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Took large dump.  Pulled pants up and splash, GLOCK in the water.  Washed off in the bathroom sink.  Good as new.  Bad things happen to good guns...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top