Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2010 10:04:01 AM EDT
Well I took my Glock to the range, for only the second time, and had what I consider a catastrophic issue. This gun only has 450 rounds down the tube. The takedown lever seems to become engaged when my TLR-1 is attached. This almost led to my slide flying downrange. It only happens when the light is attached, which is so odd (I guess the frame could be cracked but I don't see any). I could not believe this! I love how I shoot with this pistol and how it fits me but dammit this has me a bit pissed and nervous about the quality. I am contacting Glock tomorrow morning and emailing them with a link to my video. I am going to request a completely new full replacement since I have lost my faith in this particular gun.

Enjoy (or cringe as I did):
GLOCK 19  GEN 4 FAILURE
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#1]

THe only thing about your video that you didnt do was tug forward on the slide without the light on (you only showed that the take down didnt move) , obviously the slide would not have come off, but to illistrate the differences you shouldve tug on the slide to try and pull it off without the light. When doing tests like this, you need to repeat the action the exact same with each variable.

Link Posted: 10/10/2010 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]
not that it matters - there's obviously an issue here - but what happens if you rack the slide a second time after you pull the trigger (as in simulating a round being fired) rather than just pushing the slide forward and off the frame?
i don't think the slide would just fly off because when the slide cycles the trigger is reset, therefore the slide will not be released off of the frame, correct?
i wonder what effect the light could have to allow this to happen. either way, you should definitely contact Glock first thing tomorrow morning to get this resolved.
good luck and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Pic of slide lock? That is the part that is failing.Maybe the slide lock spring is not pushing it up.

Link Posted: 10/10/2010 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
slide lock has plenty of push to it. I tested that right at the range when I discovered this issue. As you can see in the vids it does infact spring right back up to lock if I start to recock the gun.

Here's the pics:

Link Posted: 10/10/2010 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I could not duplicate your problem with a G19 and  TLR-1.

Just to get the simple stuff out of the way.
Are you sure the take down lever and the spring that is supposed to keep it pushed up are correctly installed?
Does the spring seem to be weak in any way?

––mort

ETA. Nice pics.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Mort that is ressuring that yours works well. I hope that what Glock does for me works as well. It does appear to be assembled correctly, although I have not dismantled that part of the gun to check. Spring has plenty of tension, at least as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]
At least someone found a way to get the slide off easily, without all that dangerous "having to pull the trigger" and needing a third hand!

Link Posted: 10/10/2010 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that a crack in your rail or just a scratch ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The hell?
Please let us know what Glock has to say.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Try muzzle-sweeping your hand more.

And smiling.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#12]
1MRBEAN,
Could you point out where in the pic you see it, like by using MS Paint or something. I am not sure where you are talking about.

Texasrifleman,
huh?
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1MRBEAN,
Could you point out where in the pic you see it, like by using MS Paint or something. I am not sure where you are talking about.

Texasrifleman,
huh?

on the rail on the right side of the pic, the scratch/crack has got a glare on it...
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I went home after reading this at work, My gen 4 19 does NOT do this with my light attached, I tried multiple times. call glock they will make it right
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I went home after reading this at work, My gen 4 19 does NOT do this with my light attached, I tried multiple times. call glock they will make it right

Me too. Just tried this with my 19, albeit with an X300. No such issues.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The X300 and TLR apply different forces to the frame. The TLR uses a screw that pinches the frame in the horizontal plane. I suppose you could tighten it down far enough to distort the frame. The X300 has a spring that pushes up on the frame in the vertical plane. Technically, the X300 can slide front to back ever so slightly depending on the play in the grove it locks into on the Glock frame and how much tension the Surefire spring applies to the groove.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
At least someone found a way to get the slide off easily, without all that dangerous "having to pull the trigger" and needing a third hand!

Third hand? I can take down a glock with one hand.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 4:16:23 AM EDT
[#18]
HOPEFULLY. they will get you squared away. Good luck.....still sayyin hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 4:41:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Is this a crack or a scratch?

Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#20]

That is where the plastic is slightly covering the metal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That is where the plastic is slightly covering the metal.

dang. I just pulled the slide off my 23 and it is as you say Postal. Just a little more noticeable with the flash.

Link Posted: 10/11/2010 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#22]
tag, i will check my gen 4 G19 with my TLR-1 tonight, let us know what glock says
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I could not duplicate this issue with my G19 Gen4 and a TLR-1.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Posted about this over at GlockTalk and by the pictures they are saying the slide lock/take down lever is backwards. One of the members even said it happened with a student at a class with a brand new Gen 4 G19. Hopefully the OP is okay with me bringing in another source to figure out this problem and hopefully the take down lever being backwards is the case.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Posted about this over at GlockTalk and by the pictures they are saying the slide lock/take down lever is backwards. One of the members even said it happened with a student at a class with a brand new Gen 4 G19. Hopefully the OP is okay with me bringing in another source to figure out this problem and hopefully the take down lever being backwards is the case.

this is worth looking into before contacting Glock... IF this is the case, it should be an easy fix.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks backwards to me, the "lip" or groove should be facing the shooter, looks like it's facing foward.  It's really small and hard to notice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#27]
how does the light stay in place? tighten it ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
how does the light stay in place? tighten it ?

yes with a side screw using a flat screwdriver, coin or by hand. By hand is uaully tight enough which is what the OP did in his video so unless the dust cover is extremely thin I don't think that might be the problem. Hopefully the OP tries to flip the slide stop around and gets back to us.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Im looking at my gen 4 G19 right now and from the pictures it does look like OP's slide lock/take down lever is in backwards.  OP try and get some better pics of the slide lock/take down lever.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Well damn you guys are smart. Smarter than I. I should have looked at this thread before I contacted Glock. I contacted Glock this AM and sent the Tech the link for this video and upon watching it he told me to box up the gun and he would send me a Fedex label to ship it out to to warranty. He told me not to clean it or attempt any fixes or alterations so they can see what the issue is because he claims they have never had a malfunction like this in the past. I already have the gun boxed up, taped, labeled, and in the local Fedex slot (there is a place that you can do a drop for Fedex). So as of tomorrow AM it will already be on its way to Glock, sorry fellas. I wish I would have read this first, if just to even try and see if that was the issue. I hope Glock doesn't take long to repair or replace, I will also let you know what they claim the problem was after the inspection.

*on a side note, the tech told me that Glock is aware of Gen 4 G19s not cycling 115grn bullets well (ie, walmart Rem etc.) and are working on an even newer recoil rod. He claims they are not in US hands yet, just wanted to let you guys know what he said*
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Im looking at my gen 4 G19 right now and from the pictures it does look like OP's slide lock/take down lever is in backwards.  OP try and get some better pics of the slide lock/take down lever.

what he said

Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Wait, right in this pick you can clearly see the shadow the lip is making and it IS facing towards me, the shooter. Guess we can rule that out as the issue.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/GeninCloud/006-1.jpg

Wait, right in this pick you can clearly see the shadow the lip is making and it IS facing towards me, the shooter. Guess we can rule that out as the issue.

Sure seems the correct way. I even took pictures of my 3rd Gen in the same manners as yours for comparison but some still insistited the slide lock was backwards as we can see thats clearly not the case. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the dust cover being thinner on the Gen 4 Glocks because of the bigger slide face and recoil assembly which equals less frame material inside and out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#34]
FWIW- I own several Gen 4 pistols and have noticed the slide lock springs to apply less tension to the slide lock as my Gen 3 pistols. I recently ordered (didn't buy) a new gen 4 G23 and noticed it the spring was applying minimal tension. Perhaps this combined with the flexing applied to the frame was enough to cause the situation in the video and perhaps even a defective slide lock. I didn't read this entire thread but watched the video. I believe Glock did change the slide lock spring in the Gen 4 models. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Just a heads up gents.  Fedex tracking shows that Glock Warranty will be recieving the pistol tomorrow afternoon. I will make sure to give you any updates as they contact me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just a heads up gents.  Fedex tracking shows that Glock Warranty will be recieving the pistol tomorrow afternoon. I will make sure to give you any updates as they contact me.

Looking forward to their explanation.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Glock recieved the pistol today. The gentleman told me that he won't really get to dig deap into the project until Monday since he just got it from shipping/recieving. He said that he is aware of some Gen4s being sent out with the wrong springs in the slide stop/takedown so he said he is going to check that right away. He also reassured me that they do have a Streamlight TLR-1 on hand to test out extensively. I should have more info on Monday as to what really is going on.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Initial contact seem to be positive then. Hopefully he finds a quick fix for your Glock.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#39]
If you cant trust a Glock, what can you trust.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you cant trust a Glock, what can you trust.

A 1911...

sorry, couldn't resist.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#41]
JayTx,
I am suprised it took so long for someone to say it actually lol.

UPDATE:
Glock switched my slide stop/ take down spring to the proper tension spring, looked over the entire gun, shot 3 mags through it without a hiccup, and then also replicated my exact video with a tlr-1 and said it is good to go and all fixed! It should be shipped out in a business day or so and I should have it back in my hands by the end of the week. I already have 200rnds waiting to toss down it for a reliability check :).
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Did they give you an explanation of what was corrected?
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#43]
yadayada,
Yes. It was the wrong spring in my takedown/slide stop.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#44]
There is more than one slide stop spring??   Thats strange.   I had the slide stop spring (also known as L shaped strip of metal)  *break* while firing in police academy.   Gun functioned for a few rounds, accuracy way down, slide stop started to walk out the left side.   At the time, just grab another gun and keep going.

Later examination showed the broken spring.   It was a 1994 Glock 19 with many thousands of rounds down range.   $2 part later, and it was back in business.   The newer slide stop spring is wider than the original 1994 spring.   For whatever reason the old spring was thinner in the middle than the ends.  

So the question, is a Gen 4 slide stop spring the same part as a gen 3 (which works in a gen 2–– I know).
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Glad to hear that Glock took care of it and you will be back in action soon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes they certainly did. I was pleased to find that they 2 day expressed it back to me. It should be delivered to me tomorrow so that's awesome. Also a bonus is that the same Technician that I originally talked to and showed the video is the only person that handled my firearm from start to finish. He only had it in factory for 2 days total and did a complete work up. Glock CS is tops as far as I am concerned. Very pleased with how this has been handled. Oh, and as a bonus he tossed in an extra mag for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#47]
glad i have all 3rd gen's!
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#48]
glock is absolutely legendary about their customer service and their products reliability. Frankly, im surprised that you had this problem and that they put in the wrong spring in the first place. I am not surprised that they corrected the issue in a timely and curteous manner however.

I have had two or three coworkers need a repair on their glock duty guns over the years due to excessive wear, poor maintenance, abuse ect and every time Glock took care of them.

Team Glock recently replaced the sights on my G26 at the SWAT competition for free. I was so stunned i was speechless, which is incredibly rare for me.

I  qualify and carry a $4,000 STI Tactical 5.0 with an X-400 on it. Im also qualified and frequently train with a $400 Glock 21 with night sights, a grip reduction, and an X-300. Its an ugly cheap beater gun compared to my 1911.

That being said, I shoot the piece of shit Glock better than my $4,000 race gun and ive had less break on it. Parts and accessories are much cheaper and I can work on almost all of the gun myself which is not the case with my $4,000 1911 which has to go to an expensive specialty gunsmith about twice a year by appointment only. The thing might as well be a dog or a boat considering how much good money over bad i have thrown into it.

Anyhow the cheap ugly glock seems to do everything better than the 1911, It doesnt turn heads  and break the ice around gun guys as well as the 1911, but in hindsight i kind of wonder why i dumped car or boat money into a project that i could have accomplished 75% cheaper with a Glock.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes, there are at least 3 springs that I can think of off of the top of my head.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
glock is absolutely legendary about their customer service and their products reliability. Frankly, im surprised that you had this problem and that they put in the wrong spring in the first place. I am not surprised that they corrected the issue in a timely and curteous manner however.

I have had two or three coworkers need a repair on their glock duty guns over the years due to excessive wear, poor maintenance, abuse ect and every time Glock took care of them.

Team Glock recently replaced the sights on my G26 at the SWAT competition for free. I was so stunned i was speechless, which is incredibly rare for me.

I  qualify and carry a $4,000 STI Tactical 5.0 with an X-400 on it. Im also qualified and frequently train with a $400 Glock 21 with night sights, a grip reduction, and an X-300. Its an ugly cheap beater gun compared to my 1911.

That being said, I shoot the piece of shit Glock better than my $4,000 race gun and ive had less break on it. Parts and accessories are much cheaper and I can work on almost all of the gun myself which is not the case with my $4,000 1911 which has to go to an expensive specialty gunsmith about twice a year by appointment only. The thing might as well be a dog or a boat considering how much good money over bad i have thrown into it.

Anyhow the cheap ugly glock seems to do everything better than the 1911, It doesnt turn heads  and break the ice around gun guys as well as the 1911, but in hindsight i kind of wonder why i dumped car or boat money into a project that i could have accomplished 75% cheaper with a Glock.

I doubt this has anything to do with the guns. Probably more shooting style. I love my Glocks too, but my 1911's flat-out beats my Glocks in my particular case. Its all in the shooter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top