Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 12:24:32 PM EDT
I am a LEO and we currently carry Glocks as our duty guns.  My department currently requires an 8lb trigger pull and is researching if it would be beneficial to go back to the factory 5.5lb pull.  I am looking for factual data that supports going back to the 5.5lb trigger.  If anyone has any factual information or links to websites where I could obtain some it would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, what kind of "factual information" do you want? I'm guessing you think 8# triggers suck and want to return to the 5.5#. So you'll want information that is persuasive that 5.5# is better. Better how? maybe you'd be best off researching why the 8# came about and then arguing that the resoning behind the 8# is no longer valid (if it ever was).

Why does glock start with a 5.5#? another interesting test would be to take a random sampling of officers and have them shoot the same course with both triggers and see what the standard deviation is. Everything is gonna be anecdotal, but it may be persuasive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
At this point I was asked to help gather information on the ups and downs to both triggers.  I prefer the 5.5lb trigger but have been carrying an 8lb trigger for over 5yrs now.  It looks as it admin wants to see if there is an advantage to the 5.5lb trigger vs. the 8lb and if so they will consider switching to it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you have access to any sort of database, that has compiled a list of Officer involved NDs,that also keeps track of whether said Officers pistol had NY1 or 5.5 trigger spring installed?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#5]
let me solve your quandry. Trigger pull makes no difference in anything but accuracy for a competent officer.

i carry a 1911 with maybe all of a 3-3.5 pound trigger with zero take-up, almost no travel, and zero over travel. I have never accidentally shot any unsuspecting people with it because i have never EVER had my safety off on duty. Safety comes off and finger goes on the trigger a 10th of a second before i dead somebody.

Never had to dead somebody so trigger pull is completely inconsequential.

My glock 21 has a 3.5 trigger too. Never shot a hole in my leg with that one either.

Your gun could have one of those electronic paintball electronic triggers and it wouldnt matter if you trained with it and used it properly.

I do however get a big kick out of going to the range with other cops and letting them shoot my gun. Usually they're like "holy shit, i hit something i was aiming at with proper stance, breathing, sight picture and trigger control ! and your trigger is freaking dangerous!" and then i let them go back to missing with NY1 triggers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:59:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
let me solve your quandry. Trigger pull makes no difference in anything but accuracy for a competent officer.

i carry a 1911 with maybe all of a 3-3.5 pound trigger with zero take-up, almost no travel, and zero over travel. I have never accidentally shot any unsuspecting people with it because i have never EVER had my safety off on duty. Safety comes off and finger goes on the trigger a 10th of a second before i dead somebody.

Never had to dead somebody so trigger pull is completely inconsequential.

My glock 21 has a 3.5 trigger too. Never shot a hole in my leg with that one either.

Your gun could have one of those electronic paintball electronic triggers and it wouldnt matter if you trained with it and used it properly.

I do however get a big kick out of going to the range with other cops and letting them shoot my gun. Usually they're like "holy shit, i hit something i was aiming at with proper stance, breathing, sight picture and trigger control ! and your trigger is freaking dangerous!" and then i let them go back to missing with NY1 triggers.

Well I guess that settles it then,because we all know that all LEO are highly trained ,and never have NDs.
And it is impossible to shoot well with a NY1 spring installed.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
My duty gun is a Glock 21 w/Surfire X300.  I shoot on a monthly basis and feel that I am proficient with my weapon.  I would say that most of the average officers in my agency shoot maybe just a couple times per year.  That being said I am of the opinion, why make the weapon any harder to shoot for them then necessary.  

Unfortunately I don't have any access to data that shows officers who have been involved in shootings with a NY1 trigger.  That is partially why I am asking around on this site to see if anyone does.  I can also say that I have seen first hand an accidental discharge even with the NY1 trigger.  My department lacks in training as do most and the bottom line is if you squeeze the trigger rather its the 5.5lb or NY1, the gun will go bang.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#8]
8.5lb is too heavy to shoot well with IMO. I have a 3.5 in mine and really like it, however I think it's a little light for duty use. Sometimes I feel it's too light for CCW. 4lb would be better.

It's so easy to switch out trigger pull on Glocks that I wouldn't waste any more time thinking about it, just do it. 5.5lb will be a dramatic improvement over what you have now. I did mine at home before I ever fired the pistol. I watched a yootube and followed directions.

Have the Chief buy donuts and coffee and you can all get it done the same morning.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a 3.5lb connector with a 6# trigger spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top