Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2004 4:06:53 PM EDT
How do you feel about these things?

Does the thought of somone having a loaded gun pointing right at you chest if you are standing behind them bothersome?
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, they concern me a lot, given the sloppy gunhandling of a lot of people I see. And that means people who wear badges as well as those who don't.

We don't allow shoulder holsters of any kind on our range for qualification purposes. Its virtually impossible to draw from any of them without sweeping someone with the muzzle. Since shoulder holsters accomplish nothing that other holsters won't do just as well, we simply don't allow them.

The only justification I really see for shoulder holsters is for hunting guns, because they keep the large, heavy guns well protected & out of the way & keep the weight off your belt, and for the military, since they often have no other place to carry a handgun with all their other equipment.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
They serve an interesting purpose with revolvers, being able to fire in close quarters without having to draw the firearm ect. But other than that I wouldn't bother.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The most comfortable setup I've ever had was a USP in a Galco shoulder holster. I'm one of the few though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got one for my glock30
I have no problems with it. seeing how the trigger is covered I don't see it as any more dangerous than other carry types
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always had two issues with a horizontal shoulder holster--first and obviously the biggest problem is the muzzle sweep issue that NCCop mentioned, but also I find it almost impossible to hide it.  Unless you're built like George Foreman, most people aren't thick enough from front to back to conceal anything over a snub-nosed revolver.  And forget trying to hide that full-sized 1911!  Plus, for concealed carry, it means you always have to have a coat on....something I try to avoid except in the winter.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Galco horizontal shoulder holster for my P239 that I enjoy; my only concern is where the muzzle is pointing while wearing one...have you ever stood behind someone who is wearing one of these holsters sans jacket?  I did, but only for a very short while.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a Galco Miami Classic for my 5" 1911, have for years.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I avoid them. If you walk in the slightest breeze or if you walk to fast, it will blow your coat open and expose it. Most will let the gun swing away from your body if you bend over too. The weight on your shoulders really blows too, even when balanced out.
They are extremely fast though, so long as your coat is unbuttoned. Keeping the muzzle to the deck upon the draw works well, except most don't do it. Strong side is much better IMO in most situations.
In the summer, I wear either a wife-beater or a body tight Heatgear T-shirt. I then put an over shirt that buttons up over it. I buy these shirts a little bigger then normal so it covers the bottom of my OWB holster.
In the winter, I wear a regular t-shirt or long sleave shirt tucked in. I then have a leather jacket that covers the base of my holster. I had it specially made by Coronado Leather. Top notch stuff if you like leather that isn't a biker looking jacket. If you want a biker style, go Langlitz.
The only problem that arises is when you wish to remove the jacket. Like in the restaurant. Usually, I take the jacket off my arms, and let it fall behind me, still covering my sides. IWB would help so you could just untuck the shirt and leave it loose, but I can't stand IWB. They put my ass to sleep -- yes, even Milt Sparks. I have low body fat %.
Best bet is to leave the jacket on when possible. I built mine so it breathes extremely well. It is a cool jacket for weighing about 5 pounds.
I never have to wear a suit, so I can't comment on that aspect.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I used a Galco too. The one with the wide straps. My favorite carry method was a zip hoody (sweatshirt) with it unzipped and a right side tie-down to your belt to counter balance the weight. The mags alone didn't do it and the shoulder straps would show through near the neck on the right side. The tie-down did away with this. Not to mention my girlfriend really digged the "Hitman" look when I had it on. Good times.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:07:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a bianchi vertical a long long time ago that was the most uncomfortabel pos I believe I ever put on.  I swore off shoulders and still dont have one but can't help but think they would have their place especially if seated/seat-belted or dressed for winter.  The galco miami rig seems to be the one most recommend, but I can't make myself buy one thinking it might end up a dust collector.  If I could test one for a week I could make up my mind.

The safety or lack of, in my opinion, is tied to the person rather than the equipment.  Some equipment is just more idiot resistant than others.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I still haven't found any other way to carry when riding my motorcycle.  I use a Miami Classic with my Glock 26 and two Glock 17 mags in the mag carrier.  I can wear a button-up shirt over it, with the middle two buttons undone and I'm all set.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:25:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have  a brand new Kimber 5" TLE Custom 2. What would be better for me,  Im 5'9, about 150-160 pounds, a vertical or horizontal holster, and made by who. Thanks much!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#15]
holstered guns can go off- you know that plunger under the slide of your colt?  not all 1911s have it.  it prevents discharge due to the hammer falling from impact or parts breakage.  it's rare, but it happens.

hip is faster than shoulder due to distance and biomechanics.  have someone time you.  it's not close.

i get REALLY jumpy when i get swept by a muzzle during a draw....

i wear 3-4x dress shirts.  i'm not big enough to conceal a horizontal rig with a big gun in it.

[david letterman]  and the #1 reason horizontal shoulder holsters suck.......

because if your wrestling with a right handed opponent, HE CAN DRAW YOUR WEAPON FASTER THAN YOU CAN!!!  [david letterman]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks much man
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Excerpt from the four basic rules of firearms handling:

Rule 2
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROYYou may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such......
Take a loaded pistol and tuck it up underneath your arm. Walk around a room full of people. Your muzzle is sweeping everyone/everything behind you. This is a clear violation of the rule quoted above.

As previously mentioned, a holstered weapon will, in all likelyhood, not discharge on its own. However, what happens when a person draws said weapon is an entirely different manner. Unless one practices religiously the correct technique to draw, without sweeping the muzzle across one's front, they can potentially have a negligent discharge in an unsafe direction.

Some people have no qualms carrying in this manner, and that is their perrogative, however, I will not use a shoulder rig.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#18]
They do bother me. Especially when I was deployed. Mostly the officers had them and most of them were the worst as far as firearms safety and marksmenship.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They do bother me. Especially when I was deployed. Mostly the officers had them and most of them were the worst as far as firearms safety and marksmenship.

I hate standing in the chow lines with an M9 pointing right at my face.  Something about looking down the barrel of a pistol just ain't right.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I agree, but try a few M-16's or a SAW. In Camp Patriot no one was allowed to take a rifle inside the DFAC because Marines and Army types kept dropping them. one day it happens and I look up into the barrel of a SAW. Thats about when I said hey mofo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I was ROing at a class several years ago, when I
noticed after a few drills a guy with a P-85 in a horizontal
shoulder holster. I realized that he was not familiar with
the gun. He was pushing the decock down, but not far enough
for the hammer to drop. I instructed him on the correct
procedure, & then moved him to the far left. I have not
had any interest in a horizontal since.

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Haven't liked em after watching a new sig 220 tumbling across the pavement trying to get out of a freinds honda del sol.
Sureshot
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:04:08 AM EDT
[#23]
In my opinion, they only belong in one place....THE MOVIES.
Jules
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:39:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I am 60 inches around the chest and shoulder holsters still suck for me. They poke me something awful right in the lat muscle and since my arms are big around the thing rubs. I tried one on once and figured out it wasnt for me. I will carry on my hip. That is where god intended for it to be anyway or he wouldn't of put your hand down there.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I use a Galco with both tie downs to wear my S&W 1066. Very compfortable. I would not use one without the tie down due to "flopage" I can wear it under my button down shirts without narry a notice.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the idea better than vertical, and it's really the only comfortable way to carry a larger gun than a PPK concealed unless you stand all day...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#27]
A little off topic, but the most comfortable carry for me was
OWB cross draw. Not practical at all, but very confortable,
sitting/driving. Now only IWB strong side...

Johnny C!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top