Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 4:59:35 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with these (styles of) holsters?

I am considering getting something like this to wear either a Glock 19 or Glock 27 while hunting, ice fishing, etc. Does anyone have any experience wearing these? I am certainly not referring to an ankle holster either. I carried an LCP like that and it was sliding down my leg/ankle.

I'm specifically talking about a military or tactical looking option - it must be comfortable and safe for driving, sitting, some versatility in movement, and last - it needs to be comfortable. I don't want it to feel like the $30 kneepads for home repair jobs - the elastic kills the skin behind my knees.

Any help is appreciated. Also, any reference to a system that has an extra mag holder would be beneficial.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a safariland tactical thigh holster that I use for special duty assignments. It's for a G22 but you should be able to get one for a G19. I wouldn't really want to put a G27 in one because it's such a small gun but they are wonderful. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. I can wear mine all day and not have any problems. Also look at blackhawk's thigh rig.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
safariland 6004 and add a mag holder to it - I think it'll take two
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I am actually getting a thigh rig for hunting this year.
It will hold an M&P9, and although I will get flack for this, I am getting a Tornado holster from CTD in coyote tan.
From what I've heard they are good for the money and adjust to fit most guns.

Hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

Good Luck out there.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
A drop leg holster is a very specific piece of equipment. If you don't have to worry about your sidearm interfering with body armor, then you're likely better off with a different type of holster. Drop holsters suck for driving, are cumbersome during movement, and much less comfortable than a belt holster.

Your needs will probably be best served with a low riding belt holster. I suggest the Safariland ALS 6377. It sits low on the belt, offers positive retention, and it's not bulky. It's also much cheaper than a drop leg holster.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I have worn several types (mostly Safariland 6004s) and would not recommend them for general hunting use. They aren't especially comfortable  to walk long distances in and are usually hard kydex/plastic material that is loud. If you brush up against trees branches, shrubs, etc it will make noise. I would use either a regular belt holster or crossdraw holster. The crossdraw will help keep it out of the way of a rifle or shotgun if you are carrying one of those too.

The thigh holster isn't conveinient for driving or sitting either. As mentioned, they are mainly for clearing heavy body armor.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#6]
IF you decide to run a thigh rig, i would recommend a Safariland 6004 (or similar model)––i ran one a whole summer in the field hunting feral pigs in the MS delta and it held up just fine

granted, the thigh rig, imo, is bulky and tends to get tangled up in tight brush/briar patches, etc if you are not careful; the safariland rig is tough and well built and they rid well when you are sitting or in a vehical, etc

if i had to do it again i'd run one of those, esp if you wear a lot of clothing during the winter; if not, i would run a good old glock belt holster (or similar) which carry a lot more comfortably on longer walks (but not so much when seated all the time or if you have a bunch of clothing in the way of the draw)
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
IF you decide to run a thigh rig, i would recommend a Safariland 6004 (or similar model)––i ran one a whole summer in the field hunting feral pigs in the MS delta and it held up just fine

granted, the thigh rig, imo, is bulky and tends to get tangled up in tight brush/briar patches, etc if you are not careful; the safariland rig is tough and well built and they rid well when you are sitting or in a vehical, etc

if i had to do it again i'd run one of those, esp if you wear a lot of clothing during the winter; if not, i would run a good old glock belt holster (or similar) which carry a lot more comfortably on longer walks (but not so much when seated all the time or if you have a bunch of clothing in the way of the draw)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top