Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 1:04:03 PM EDT
I'm about to take a CHL class and I was just wondering if these classes are just a means to an end or are some of them actually better than others?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
My class started with the instructor telling us how he didn't obey the 4 rules and shredded his hand with a revolver and he was lucky the doctors were able to put it back together

I'm hoping they aren't all the same and yours is much better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
def not i took mine online. one hour video, 15 minute test.

compare that to 8 hour class, with shooting.

good thing i am already familiar with guns
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
def not i took mine online. one hour video, 15 minute test.

compare that to 8 hour class, with shooting.

good thing i am already familiar with guns

Wow! I never knew there was such a thing. Kinda scary if I may say.

From what I gathered through a thread I started in the NC/SC HTF I'd have to agree and say that CCW classes can vary greatly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know.  I never took one.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
You are probably best asking in your home town forum.  

The state will have a minimum mandated curriculum, which will probably fill 4-5 hours of the class with the remaining 2-3 hours dependent on the instructor.  Personally I view it as a "check the box" type situation, and would go with whatever is least expensive/most convenient.

In general the whole thing is a huge imposition, since at least in AZ, you are basically taking an 8 hour class (formerly 16) to be allowed the privilege of wearing a jacket.  
(I know, TX is an anti state that does not allow open carry)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You are probably best asking in your home town forum.  

I would definitely get a recommendation for a class. My Utah class was pretty worthless other than it gave me my permit.  I have learned more Utah regs off the internet than I did in the class.  On the other hand the class I took in Oregon was very comprehensive and informative.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#7]
No.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe it all depends on the means at their disposal. In some counties around here they are hard to find supportive clubs to hold the classes and have enough range to get the shooting session in. I liked mine but I got lucky I had an instructor. He was well educated had several awards and by the way he acted you would think that Springfield pays him to support the XD handguns. He had several for open use in the class. He even uped the anty and started showing some advance pistol shooting beyond the concealed standard. I think all we need is smart instructors with the correct training. He had a women in our class that had never held or shot a gun before that was shooting like a pro. Easier to teach a new kid the tricks than the old dog. He is working on doing some classes for carbines and shotguns also. I think 3 gun is in the future!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No.

This.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know.  I never took one.

Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

This.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Buyer beware.

Why not take a class where you can get your money's worth and actually learn something?  We all know the 4 rules, and likely are pretty good marksmen, but there is a lot that we can learn about CCW that a good solid training class can teach
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
No, they're not all created equal.  Some do too little, and some try to go way beyond the scope of the class, usually with poor results.  And some have instructors that are either idiots, or have no clue what they're doing.

IMO a CCW class should have two goals, first is to make you fully aware of the laws, responsibilities and repercussions of carrying a gun, and secondly getting you past the final exam and paperwork.  Anything beyond that doesn't belong in that kind of class.  Applicants who need a beginners pistol course should do that BEFORE taking a CCW class.  Learning how to load and operate your CCW pistol should NOT be taught in this kind of class.  Some of the shit I've seen in CCW classes would make the most mild mannered person want to slap the shit out of someone....and I ain't the most mild mannered of persons.  

Check in the HTF forum, they're your best resource for finding a good class with a good instructor.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Where are you in Texas? Some people might be able to give you better insight about the teachers in your area.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:38:28 AM EDT
[#14]
mine was an 8 hr class with shooting. you had to pass both the written test and the shooting test. the class was extreamly basic, designed for anyone to be able to come in take the class and pass. it basicaly went over all the CW laws in my state and you had to hit the broad side of a barn in a givein time so many times. I think it was 50 shots. and you had to hit it 40 times to pass.
edit: this is waht my stae mandates.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where are you in Texas? Some people might be able to give you better insight about the teachers in your area.

I'm in Dallas.  Got the lowdown from THellurider.  So it's basically a glorified defensive driving course with guns.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Dallas.  Got the lowdown from THellurider.  So it's basically a glorified defensive driving course with guns.  

If you get a good instructor it is MUCH more than that.  It is mandated at 10 hours minimum.  You will cover eligibility, where you can carry, restrictions, Texas Use of Force Laws, non-violent dispute resolution and of course, safety, storage and marksmanship.  

You should leave with a broad understanding of what you can and cannot do legally, when it is appropriate to present the weapon, when deadly force is justified, how to handle traffic stops, etc.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get a good instructor it is MUCH more than that.  It is mandated at 10 hours minimum.  You will cover eligibility, where you can carry, restrictions, Texas Use of Force Laws, non-violent dispute resolution and of course, safety, storage and marksmanship.  

You should leave with a broad understanding of what you can and cannot do legally, when it is appropriate to present the weapon, when deadly force is justified, how to handle traffic stops, etc.  

He's open to suggestions in the Dallas area; but seriously, I took my first CHL course in College Station and it was better than average. However, my renewels in Dallas have been filled with bad information and opinions. I literally want to explode in those classes but if I speak up the class will just drag on longer than it already does. Like that dude on here who had the draw down sotry a week ago and thought it was illegal under TX law to make head shots because that's what his CHL instructor told him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top