Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 3:07:55 AM EDT
I'm looking for a pocket carry gun (front pants pocket). I'd love to be able to do that with a micro 1911 in .40 so the EMP came to mind.

Anyone have any experience pocket carrying a 3 inch 1911? does it work or is it just to big and heavy?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:47:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Colt New Agent and find it just a bit heavy in a pants pocket. Works great in a jacket though.

I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#2]
What's wrong with an OWB/IWB holster???
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not really that heavy, 23 ounces unloaded and probably around 26 or 27 ounces loaded.  I think my Ruger SP101 weighs that much, if not a few ounces more and I pocket carry that.  It just depends on your pants, belt and your activity level.  I wouldn't want to pocket carry a 28-30 oz pistol if I was going to be very active, but for walking and sitting it should be fine.  

I'd be more concerned with how it draws from a pocket than it's weight.  Most small frame autos, unless we're talking something tiny like a P3AT, don't draw well, they're just not a good shape and have too many things to snag.  The difference between how my hammerless snubby and how my Glock 26 draws is big despite being basically the same size.  The snubby just glides out, the 26 has to be wiggled out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I never thought about it snagging.. good point 3rdpig. I currently have a compact XD in 45 with a crossbreed holster. It's a great setup just not practical for me for an everyday carry.

I want something that I can just throw in my pants pocket (with a pocket holster of course). I thought about the little kel-tecs but I'd want something heftier than a .380. Plus I love the single action trigger of a 1911.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I had this same dilemma myself.  I do not trust the tiny autos or their puny ammo as a main carry gun.   I love the ability of my S&W Bodyguard model to use in DA or SA mode and it's snag free design.  What I don't like is 38 Special, even the +P stuff.  

So after much testing and fooling around, I picked up a 2-1/4" Ruger SP-101 with the full hammer and bobbed it myself.  I now have a snag free snubnose revolver chambered in .357 mag that, in a pinch and with some practice, can be used in SA mode as well as DA.  The models that come with a bobbed hammer from the factory have no full cock notch.  It can handle full power .357 and the extra weight means I can actually practice with it.  Toss in a set of CT lasergrips and it's my favorite pocket piece.  Darn thing is surprisingly accurate in SA mode.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I've pocked carried an EMP, a Glock 26, and recently got a Colt New Agent for pocket carry.  Yeah, they are on the heavy side for pocket carry, but you can certainly do it if you have the right pockets.

I have a bunch of pairs of shorts by Columbia (I forget the model name) that has REALLY big, deep front pockets.  There's a cargo pocket sewn on top of those, which does a great job of breaking up any outline of the pistol in the front pocket (in a pocket holster, of course).

I found the Glock 26 to be a bit thick for this - it would bounce around more.  The EMP worked pretty well, but I prefer .45 if possible.  The New Agent has been great so far, the lack of front sights makes it very non-snagging when drawing from a pocket.

Note - I by far prefer IWB carry, but in the summer when I'm in shorts and a thin t-shirt I find it difficult on my frame to hide IWB - pocket just works out better for me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Kahr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top