Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2009 12:18:22 PM EDT
I live in VT right across the border from NH.  I have a NH permit and concealed carry in both states daily.  I am considering open carrying in Lebanon, NH for political purposes not practical ones.  I'd like to get a discussion going about it.  (What time of day, what types of places to visit, how to talk to people, what type of dress, what type of holster)  Weapon will be a Glock 17.

ETA: I don't want to be anything like the guys on the ridley report
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
hit up opencarry.org
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Before the nay-sayers get here...

What're you trying to accomplish?  Trying to get people to ask you about it?  Just doing it cause you can?

If you're doing it to draw any sort of attention, most of the time, people don't notice, or at the very least they'll keep it to themselves.  I suggest reading all pertinent statutes on the legality of OC where you're going, then read it again.  Bring copies in case the sheep get frisky and calls the police.

What time of day

Whenever.  Depends on where you're going to be.  If you're going to be outside, do it more when it's light out.  I've OCd pretty much all hours.

what types of places to visit

Anywhere guns are allowed

how to talk to people

Um...normally...When I've been asked why I'm OCing, I usually just say "cause I can".  If the convo dies then, fine, if they wanna keep talking about it, I just say how it's legal for me to do and I like expressing my right, kinda like if a cop asks to search your car, you CAN say no.  Does it look suspicious?  Maybe, but it's your right and you are allowed to express it.

what type of dress

First time I OC'd I was in a shirt/tie cause I attended the GRPC...since then, I just wear whatever.  A "nicer" shirt (not necessarily a button-down but something presentable), jeans.

what type of holster

I carried my Ruger in a fobus and my Sig P6 in the duty holster that came with it.  Carry it in something that's visible but accessible in case you need it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I regularly OC in PA. I carry a full size 1911 in a Blackhawk SERPA, extra mags in a Fobus polymer paddle carrier. The only question I ever really get is "Is that real?" a kind smile and a normal "yes." and on with my day. I wear normal clothes-anything from dress slacks, shirt and tie to shorts fip flops and t shirt. Just act like you normally do on a daily basis. As always be situationally aware and watch your six!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent weapon choice, OP.  That's what I carry.

Can you elaborate on this "political purpose"?  I'm curious.  You already said you don't want to be one of "those guys".  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Excellent weapon choice, OP.  That's what I carry.

Can you elaborate on this "political purpose"?  I'm curious.  You already said you don't want to be one of "those guys".  

I don't mind talking to people about the reasons for open carry but I won't be as unprofessional as them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Before the nay-sayers get here...

What're you trying to accomplish?  Trying to get people to ask you about it?  Just doing it cause you can?

If you're doing it to draw any sort of attention, most of the time, people don't notice, or at the very least they'll keep it to themselves.  I suggest reading all pertinent statutes on the legality of OC where you're going, then read it again.  Bring copies in case the sheep get frisky and calls the police.

What time of day

Whenever.  Depends on where you're going to be.  If you're going to be outside, do it more when it's light out.  I've OCd pretty much all hours.

what types of places to visit

Anywhere guns are allowed

how to talk to people

Um...normally...When I've been asked why I'm OCing, I usually just say "cause I can".  If the convo dies then, fine, if they wanna keep talking about it, I just say how it's legal for me to do and I like expressing my right, kinda like if a cop asks to search your car, you CAN say no.  Does it look suspicious?  Maybe, but it's your right and you are allowed to express it.

what type of dress

First time I OC'd I was in a shirt/tie cause I attended the GRPC...since then, I just wear whatever.  A "nicer" shirt (not necessarily a button-down but something presentable), jeans.

what type of holster

I carried my Ruger in a fobus and my Sig P6 in the duty holster that came with it.  Carry it in something that's visible but accessible in case you need it.

Thanks for the detailed response
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
No prob.  Just don't think of it as some huge thing and it won't be some huge thing.  Will people stare?  Probably, but most will not notice or just not care.  In a shirt and tie OCing, people thought I was a detective (and no, I don't own a CCW badge).  It's about attitude...if you walk around like you're just out and about taking care of your business but you just HAPPEN to be carrying a gun then most people won't freak.  If you get nervous/jittery, people might think something's up.

This is how I was able to walk into 2 banks while OCing within 15 mins. of one another and wasn't met by an armed SWAT team...I acted like this was no big deal for me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It's already been said here but it bears repeating: Your demeanor and appearance are by far the main factors that will affect your experience. If you are dressed professionally, you're clean-cut, and you act like carrying a pistol is just a normal thing to do, 99.9999% of people will just automatically assume that you are somebody important (cop, detective, security guard, etc etc) and leave you alone. Also make sure you know your laws! I don't know if this applies in your state, but here in CA we have a MYRIAD of laws that restrict open carry. It's very, very easy to accidentally break one and find yourself charged with a crime. For example we're not allowed to OC within 1000' of any schoolyard, public or private.

ETA +1 for the Glock 17
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I say go for it. And to reiterate what others have already said, your personal appearance will greatly contribute to the perceptions gained by others that see you. I use to carry OC all the time before I got my CCW and still do on occasion. I believe it's a perfectly normal and respectful thing to do, providing one acts within reason and respect of their given environment.

Personally, if not coming or going from work, I'd say jeans, a polo and perhaps any kind of leather holster present a more professional appearance and would ease the hearts and minds of unsure spectators.

However whatever you do, don't be like this guy:

From here .

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]
There is only ONE reason you should becarrying at ALL: to protect yourself and your loved ones. By carrying openly, you make your capabilities obvious to anyone who would harm you or yours... and you give up a VERY significant advantage. The BG is not likely to be carrying openly, so you will not have any warning at all.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#11]
OP,

DO IT.  I OC'ed all day yesterday in Claremont and Graniteville/Williamstown, VT.  Like the other fellas said, people who DO notice usually don't say anything.  

Don't know how Lebanon cops are but Dover, NH cops are well informed that OC is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#12]
To each his own...I only carry to protect myself and my family.  I don't like attracting attention to myself so I CC exclusively.  It seems like open carry would be a catalyst for altercations with activists; something I do not have the time nor patience for.  I get enough sideway glances when I wear an NRA t-shirt.

That said, everyone here has made the correct point that presentation will lead people to make assumptions about your intent.  Dressed nicely, acting like you've got a momma, and not being cocky about carrying will probably keep you out of a jam.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I say go for it. And to reiterate what others have already said, your personal appearance will greatly contribute to the perceptions gained by others that see you. I use to carry OC all the time before I got my CCW and still do on occasion. I believe it's a perfectly normal and respectful thing to do, providing one acts within reason and respect of their given environment.

Personally, if not coming or going from work, I'd say jeans, a polo and perhaps any kind of leather holster present a more professional appearance and would ease the hearts and minds of unsure spectators.

From here .

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/hddaddy69/Vegasandocdinner037.jpg

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is only ONE reason you should becarrying at ALL: to protect yourself and your loved ones. By carrying openly, you make your capabilities obvious to anyone who would harm you or yours... and you give up a VERY significant advantage. The BG is not likely to be carrying openly, so you will not have any warning at all.

this

personally, i'd look into a flat, (pancake like) holster w/ both an active and passive retension devise––Safarialand would be my 1st inquiry
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

From here .

dude needs to close that fu*king dust cover
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Dress like you would if you were going to meet your girlfriends parents, that is unless they live in a trailer park.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

From here .

He's tryin' ta be Han Solo!  His ejection port cover is open.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From here .

dude needs to close that fu*king dust cover

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

From here .

I wouldn't do the AR pistol, but then I don't OC.  
Let me be devil's advocate though:  Why not the AR pistol?  Because it might scare people?  Any gun scares some people.  Because his intent is to scare people?  That's what some people would say about OC of any gun.  Who can judge intent anyway, unless he out and says he's trying to scare people.  What objections to the AR pistol don't apply to any other OC gun?  Should a good weapon not be used because of the way it looks?  That's a dangerous road.  Just trying to stir up some thoughts.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I support you all the way. The more that people realize that guns are "normal" the easier our lives will be.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I support you all the way. The more that people realize that guns are "normal" the easier our lives will be.

I have to agree with this. I almost always OC due to comfort. I however make sure I don't look like a hoodlum doing it. Business casual or close being the standard I try to do. A lot of folks say it's a tactical disadvantage to OC. I disagree totally. I've seen more then one hoodrat head the other way once they know I'm armed. If I concealed, I may have had to engage them at some level. Who knows how that would turn out. It's like a alarm sticker on a business door.... "fuck with this place at your own peril"  Only someone totally batshit crazy is going to mess with you KNOWING your armed. Ain't nothing you can do to prevent batshit crazy......That's why it don't matter OC or CC....if your marked as a easy target by a perp, your in trouble. A strong offense is a good defense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top