Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2009 8:25:55 AM EDT
I recently got a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe for my XD(m)-9. I also recently got my CCW permit so I am new to all of this. I just wanted to see how people carry extra mags. I read a number of people saying that it is very uncomfortable to carry an IWB Mag Pouch, but if you carry it OWB, doesn't that give away the fact that you are carrying? Also, I can no longer find the mag pouch on CrossBreed's website. Anybody know if they still sell it? I am really happy with the IWB holster by them and would be interested in purchasing their mag pouch. I may just have to contact them for that question. But yea, how do you all carry your extra mags when CCing. :)

Eric
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I almost always carry an extra magazine.  But I just carry it in my offhand pocket with the rounds facing behind me.  I can drop the magazine on my HK P2000SK with my firing hand and when I retrieve my extra magazine it's ready.  Try practicing it with empty magazines and see how fast you can reload.  A spare magazine carrier would be nice, but my pocket suffices.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
always carry a spare

i use an OWB mag carrier, and it covered w/ a shirt, its compact enough to appear to be a multool or cell phone, etc––no one notiices
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
always carry a spare

i use an OWB mag carrier, and it covered w/ a shirt, its compact enough to appear to be a multool or cell phone, etc––no one notiices

I use an Uncle Mikes magazine pouch.  It can be worn horizontally and has no markings so it looks like a multi-tool pouch(which others have used).
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I now always carry an extra mag. I have a nice galco ankle mag holster that works perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Whichever magazine holder you use just remember that you're the only one fixating on its presence.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
An OWB mag pouch is much smaller than an OWB gun.  I've never tried an IWB mag pouch but I have a bunch of OWB ones and I've never been too concerned about concealment.  Usually I carry my spare mag(s) in the middle cargo pocket on my Woolrich pants and shorts when concealment is more of an issue.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to look into an OWB mag pouch.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to look into an OWB mag pouch.

Spare mag carry- what do you use?  
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#9]
With the right kind of carrier, and dressing correctly, spare mags are very concealable.

I use either a Galco double pouch (leather), or a Blade-Tech single pouch w/ TekLok up front, and an Uncle Mikes nylon pouch behind that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I use to carry 2 spare mags
Now just 1 mag or a speed loader

I use IWB carry Milt Sparks/ Blade tech Large T shirt

I also LOVE the Belly band for DEEP undercover

I can wear swim trunks and T shirt and carry a Large HG  spare mag / Knife /wallet

I wear shorts wich have many pockets for Mags / surefire etc!

But in my 20+ years of carry a handgun I never needed  all the ammo I use to carry when I was young

1 spare  will do
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 4:19:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I usually carry one spare in a Comp-Tac single mag pouch OWB. No printing at all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I carry two spares usually. Different ways depending on what I am wearing. OWB carrier on weak side mostly. Pocket on left side if 5.11 pants.Sometimes in cargo pockets of shorts.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Always in a dedicated mag holder, either one that goes on the belt or one that goes in the pocket. Shoving one in the pocket naked is a bad idea. Just this weekend I was on the range when I encountered a stoppage because a piece of gum wrapper (from gum I've never chewed...unless you vaccum the dryer every time you use it and thoroughly check your pockets every time you put on your pants you CANNOT avoid shit like that) ended up working its way into one of my magazines about halfway down the tube. When it came time to feed that round the gum wrapper literally gummed up the works.

I've mentioned this as a possibility many times only to hear people say "What are the odds of that?" Well, Saturday June 6, 2009 they were 100%.

I honestly never thought of that. good call.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Kydex OWB dual mag carrier for both my carry weapons.  I used to carry my spares in my pocket until I took them apart and cleaned them after a week.  That was a lot of lint for just one week.

I have a couple leather IWB holders, but I've found it's more comfortable to carry them OWB.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#16]
If you just have to carry a spare mag, and worry about it being noticed and such, an old eyeglass carrier works quite well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Kydex OWB dual mag carrier for both my carry weapons.  I used to carry my spares in my pocket until I took them apart and cleaned them after a week.  That was a lot of lint for just one week.

I have a couple leather IWB holders, but I've found it's more comfortable to carry them OWB.

I have a spare mag holder  made by Milt Sparks to go along with MS IWB
I also have a spare IWB Mag holder for my Old Sig p229
1 spare zip strip for my S&W 38

Never had lint problems or Jams

Love my Tatical Shorts here in SWFL

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I recently got a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe for my XD(m)-9. . . .  I just wanted to see how people carry extra mags.

Eric, you have an XD(m) in 9mm . . . which means that you can carry 19+1 rounds!  And with the XD(m), of course they will all hit their intended target.  

Now I'm not saying that you don't need an extra mag; that's a judgment call that only you  can make.  However, bear in mind that your gun holds more than twice as many rounds as the average 1911 that many folks carry.

I carry an XD9sc with 13+1.  My personal choice is not to carry an extra mag; I find just the gun to be a significant burden to carry around, so I've decided to forego the extra rounds.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:54:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recently got a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe for my XD(m)-9. . . .  I just wanted to see how people carry extra mags.

Eric, you have an XD(m) in 9mm . . . which means that you can carry 19+1 rounds!  And with the XD(m), of course they will all hit their intended target.  

Now I'm not saying that you don't need an extra mag; that's a judgment call that only you  can make.  However, bear in mind that your gun holds more than twice as many rounds as the average 1911 that many folks carry.

I carry an XD9sc with 13+1.  My personal choice is not to carry an extra mag; I find just the gun to be a significant burden to carry around, so I've decided to forego the extra rounds.

You raise a very good point lol I would like to think that after 20 rounds, the situation will have resolved.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You raise a very good point lol I would like to think that after 20 rounds, the situation will have resolved.

Yeah....that's bogus.

1. Absent a crystal ball you have no idea how many rounds it will take to stop a threat.
2. Under stress you can burn through 20 rounds in NO TIME flat. You can burn through 100 rounds in NO TIME flat.
3. The purpose behind carrying an extra magazine isn't really the extra ammo. It's to provide a means of getting back up and running if the mag in your gun pukes on you. Magazines are the weak link in every semi-auto pistol and they frequently go tits up on you at the most inopportune times. If you have one mag and it craps the bed on you, you are well and truly fucked.
4. Nobody has ever survived a gunfight and lamented that they had too much ammo.

Do not listen to the people who talk about the "burden" of the pistol being so overwhelming that they can't possibly pack a spare. That's bull. You can do what you DECIDE to do. Equipment choices are about MINDSET more than reality most of the time.

Absolute words of wisdom right there.  Very very true.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do not listen to the people who talk about the "burden" of the pistol being so overwhelming that they can't possibly pack a spare. That's bull. You can do what you DECIDE to do. Equipment choices are about MINDSET more than reality most of the time.

Well, yeah . . . you certainly can pack whatever you want.  It's just comes down to a judgment call of likelihood of needing the extra mags, versus the daily hassle of carrying them.

Everyone's judgment could be different.

But, on a different note –– forty-two thousand posts???  Holy cow!  You are a busy, busy man!  

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:50:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, yeah . . . you certainly can pack whatever you want.  It's just comes down to a judgment call of likelihood of needing the extra mags, versus the daily hassle of carrying them.

But, on a different note –– forty-two thousand posts???  Holy cow!  You are a busy, busy man!  

Indeed; he's been busy disseminating valuable knowledge here to those can appreciate it, understand its value, and accept it as such.

Yes; "everyone's judgment could be different" but  there's a difference between good judgment based on experience and bad judgment based on a lack of understanding of the knowledge set.

There's good, valuable advice based on real world experience and bad, worthless and possibly dangerous advice based solely on opinion to be had as well.

My .02 cents; if you haven't ever had a magazine crap out on you, you haven't had much experience with pistols.

The ideal loadout is a full magazine in your pistol including one in the chamber and 2 magazines of reloads.

I only carry one spare downloaded by one round.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Equipment choices are about MINDSET more than reality most of the time.

Good point.  The reality is that needing spare mags (or spare ammo, period) for DGU purposes is so rare it ranks up there with winning the Powerball Lottery.  Lots of worry and concern about something that simply does not happen enough to get excited about it.  But folks still buy Powerball tickets, and every now and then somebody actually wins the darned thing.  The beauty is that while the spare ammo is virtually a non-issue, the cost of carrying it is also fairly negligible, so it is pretty much a wash.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#27]
well for now I am carrying my gun loaded with 1 in the chamber (19+1) plus an extra 19rnd magazine. I would like to make it two since I have a 2mag pouch but need to wait until I can afford to buy another mag... maybe next month. got some bills to pay right now :P all in all, I am the kind of guy who just likes to  be prepared. All my friends laugh at the fact that I carry a tac-light on me, but who do they come to when they need a flashlight? It's always better to be prepared ;)
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed; he's been busy disseminating valuable knowledge here to those can appreciate it, understand its value, and accept it as such.

Yes; "everyone's judgment could be different" but  there's a difference between good judgment based on experience and bad judgment based on a lack of understanding of the knowledge set.

There's good, valuable advice based on real world experience and bad, worthless and possibly dangerous advice based solely on opinion to be had as well.

My .02 cents; if you haven't ever had a magazine crap out on you, you haven't had much experience with pistols.

The ideal loadout is a full magazine in your pistol including one in the chamber and 2 magazines of reloads.

I only carry one spare downloaded by one round.

I had 2 new  mags that jam up my rifle

I had a jam   16 +or -  years ago with my S&W 640

shooting 158 SWCHP +P

From recoil  a  rd. / bullet came loose and jammed the cylinder so it wouldnt fire ?

A first for me

I was shooting in my yard so easy fix

I would hate if SHTF and used FEDERAL 158 SWCHP +P

If you are very  very serious a back up handgun would be a must have along with what ever ya pack

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I always carry at least one extra mag with a semiauto - usually 1 with a Glock and 2 with a 1911.  Not so much because I anticipate running out of ammo, but to be able to clear a potential magazine-induced stoppage.  The 3rd magazine for a 1911 is really just a pacifier for me, but I like to have at least 20 total rounds available (7+1, 7, 7 gives me 22 of .45, and the G26 with 11+1, 11 gives me 23 of 9mm)

When carrying my J-frame, I keep at least one speedloader - that's only 10 rounds total, but that's traveling light.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#30]
You go through the time and expense of carrying your gun every day, dressing for concealment and not being a victim, why in God's name would you leave something so simple as a spare magazine at home?  That is unbelievably asanine in my opinion.  Kind of like only filling up your vehicle 2 gallons at a time because you are only taking a short trip...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You go through the time and expense of carrying your gun every day, dressing for concealment and not being a victim, why in God's name would you leave something so simple as a spare magazine at home?  That is unbelievably asanine in my opinion.  Kind of like only filling up your vehicle 2 gallons at a time because you are only taking a short trip...

To me, your car analogy is more like carrying 2 bullets in a 15 round magazine.  That's ridiculous because it truly is just as easy to have a full magazine or gas tank as it is to have part of one.

[flame suit] I would say carrying extra magazines is more comparable to having an extra can of gas in addition to the full gas tank.  It is a little extra trouble. If you want to do it you can do it.  Nothing wrong with that.  So to bring it back to guns, the things I've tried so far for carrying extra magazines are kind of a bother.  Concealment is a high priority for me and the mag pouches I've tried print way more than the gun.  The pocket is a no go, I have too much stuff in my pockets already, stuff that I use.  The possibilities of magazine failure or insufficient ammo are small enough that I'm willing to risk it for the comfort/convenience of leaving the extra mags behind. [/flame suit]

Does that mark me as an amateur?  Perhaps.  Is it asinine?  I don't think so.  Having a reliable gun and mag of 12+1 is worth something and it's way more than most of the population would even consider.  Having extra mags puts you another step ahead.  Good for you.  Maybe I'll join you some time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry depending on the weapon 1-2 mags. With my XD45 or my Sig P229 I carry 1 spare 13 rd mag. Single stack Sprinfield Operator or Sig P239 I carry 2 8rd mags. I have single and dual Galco mag pouches that I carry on the weak side. For going out at night I carry Galco's Flashlight/Mag Pouch. Never had a problem concealing any of them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I agree my analogy isn't 100%, but consider that it's less about the round count and more about a backup to the weakest part of any weapon system.

Also, let's say you get into a gunfight and have to shoot up almost a whole mag.  Do you really want to then trust none of your assailant's friend's show up?  Do you want to be walking around with an empty or almost empty gun?  Personally, I'm planning for the worst case scenario that still allows me to comfortably conceal.  when that means it's my J-frame, it also means an extra speedloader and a speed strip.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#34]
So here is what I ended up getting:

Spec-Ops Brand Super Sheeth

I got the double pouch so I can put my spare mag in one and my surefire tac light in the other. Some day when I get another mag, I may carry two mags, but this thing works great. It holds tight to the hip so it is easily concealed by a t-shirt, and if for some reason somebody notices it, it just looks like i'm carrying a multi-tool thing or something. So, now I can carry my extra mag :) I think carrying the extra mag is less about how much ammo you have  (The gun holds more rounds than some ppl carry even with their extra mags) and more about having a backup magazine in case something goes wrong with the other. Plus, as has been stated, you can never have too much ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top