Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2002 8:32:23 PM EDT
im new to the handgun part of this site. i would like to know what the law is on concealed carry in your state. in florida any adult can carry a handgun in their car with no license. there is a 2 step rule. it must take 2 steps to put the gun into action. in other words. in a holster, and in the glove compartment is fine! no license need. if you have a license, this is not required. what i like best is the new reciprocity law. i can go all the way to texas now. with the reciprocity law. there is a lot of sites to explain this. here is one.http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64  just signed by the alabama attorney general. they list here which states are included. i keep a copy of this from the state of alabama, and a colored map. just incase i run into a cop that is not up to date on this new law! ether way. i would like to know what the law is in your state. and if we differ on reciprocity, then lets compare the laws that we can dig up!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:44:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#3]
www.Packing.org
Utah honors all but 7 states. 6 of those 7 ban Concealed Carry all together. The 7th is Vermont.

Aimless, how hard is it to get a license in NY?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Alaska:  Open carry state except in some larger cities, but even there open carry is legal when doing activities which may require protection.  Since bear and especially moose can be found in town often I suppose you could argue that being outside reqires protection?.  Carry in car permited, but not on person without CCW (in glove box or under seat OK)

CCW: Class required, total cost around $200 for class and permit fees. Alaska honors permits from  Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Michigan, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Utah, Wyoming.

States that honor Alaska permits are Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Utah, Wyoming.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Now don't that beat all...

Here I am in one of the states that doesn't have a carry permit.

Fortunately, the state of Florida will send you a very nice packet of application forms and what have you, if you should write or call for them, and they will issue you an out-of-state permit.  Reciprocity on this permit varies, though, so check with your local Shylock...

licgweb.dos.state.fl.us/weapons/
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
in florida any adult can carry a handgun in their car with no license. there is a 2 step rule. it must take 2 steps to put the gun into action. in other words. in a holster, and in the glove compartment is fine! no license need. if you have a license, this is not required.  

Just to clarify, you are partially correct, There is no such thing as a "2 step" rule. Law says it must be securely encased. Which means it can be in a glove box (without a holster), a holster with the strap snapped, or anything like that (center console with a lid, etc). Also, it cant be "readily accessible for immediate use as if it were on your person". That means it cant be laying on the seat next to you, or in a holster in your lap. It can be in a strapped holster under your seat however.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
hawkeye. the escambia county sheriffs dept. placed adds in the paper that said there must be 2 steps for a person with no license to bring a firearm into action if carried in their car.  in a holster under the seat is illegal. it must be in a holster and in a glove compartment. or if you don't have one, in a holster in a cigar box or anything with a lid would be legal. they view under the seat the same as on the seat. i keep a 5 year concealed carry license, so i have no restrictions what so ever. but under the seat takes the same amout of moves as on the seat!  ether way, the point is anyone can carry in there car without a license. but they do have to have 2 moves to fire it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to be in Law Enforcment here and have had a CWP for 8 years. Reading directly from the state statute book.

790.25 - 5 Possession in Private conveyance.
(5)  POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Also,
(17)  "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

No mention of a "2 step" rule, and securely encased does not mean a holster AND glove box, etc. The wording is OR not AND. Some people get that confused. That might be a local ordinance of some kind for your are though, but it isnt state law.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Now don't that beat all...

Here I am in one of the states that doesn't have a carry permit.

I thought VT was the only state that didn't require/issue CCW permits.

anyway, go to packing.org:

www.packing.org

pick the state from the drop down in the upper left hand corner.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks hawkeye. i did notice it said "other than a handgun"  ether way. i think our sheriff is doing what the supreme court is doing. making law, instead of upholding the law! it is also the law that says you must be 21 to buy a handgun. it don't say you have to be 21 to have a handgun! so i give my daughters a handgun on their 18th birthday! they are no longer a minor!!! all my children have learned gun safety, shooting and hunting since they were small. i like the reciprocity laws. we all win. i live 5 miles from alabama. i can now cross the line with no fears of a felony. i have had the CWP since they were $157 or so, for 3 years. now my last one was something like $60 for 5 years. i think we are winning here!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I was referring to the fact that Missouri does not have a provision for CCW at all, not that it doesn't require a permit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#13]
what a shame kpel308. we need to work on your state to bring them in line with reality. when the good guys also have guns, crime goes down. i think if that columbine thing had not happened when it did, your state would now let its well trained citizens enjoy the 2nd amendment, un infringed!!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#14]
use2b you are very correct. Once they are 18 they can have a handgun, just cant buy one or ammo for it. Stupid aint it. The 'other than a handgun" phrase, as State Attorneys described it to me, is worded that way so that it means you cant have a handgun laying on the seat next to you. Its to account for rifles and shotguns, which are obviously too big to put in a glove box or such. And in the case of say a pickup truck, the front seat or rear window is the only place they can go. Overall, FL does have some very nice gun laws and after having my license for so many years now, I wouldnt be without it. I jumped for joy the day that Gov. Jeb Bush signed the reciprocity law, especially since it was passed and vetoed twice by our previous Gov.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top