Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2003 6:10:46 PM EDT
I love the 1911 design but have leaned towards Glocks/Kahrs for carry because having to disengage a thumb safety just never felt natural to me. Bedstand? Range? Sure. Trying to clear clothes and leather under extreme duress? Umm... not yet. Maybe with enough experience and training but not yet.

Anyway, it made me wonder if anyone had similar misgivings about the thumb safety but chose to just ignore it and rely on the grip safety alone. The idea scares the hell out of me, personally, but I'm curious. Anyone walking around cocked and *un*locked?
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#1]
had a problem with it but coming from a military family the first one i ever shot was a 1911... so with trainin i learned to get the pistol out without a problem but myself i have enough power in my forearms to squeeze the trigger and it just be smooth as a baby's butt. i have handled some real tough triggers that way.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anyway, it made me wonder if anyone had similar misgivings about the thumb safety but chose to just ignore it and rely on the grip safety alone. The idea scares the hell out of me, personally, but I'm curious. Anyone walking around cocked and *un*locked?

I'd be scared sheeiitless to carry a 1911 cocked and unlocked.
With dry practice and more dry practice I have gotten to a point where disengaging the thumb safety is an integral part of the draw motion.
I trimmed your post a bit, but you did mention training, so if you prefer the 1911 it can't hurt to practice. Of course in the end you have to go with what you are comfortable with.

Good issue to bring up though, there are a ton of folks on this board that carry 1911s (also a good chunk of Glock carriers), so a less experienced shooter might look at a Glock and a 1911 and see the thumb safety as an impediment and just skip it, thinking the trigger systems are the same on both guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top