Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2003 6:39:01 AM EDT
After about three weeks of waiting I fianaly picked up my CC permit yesterday at the court house (ironicaly at that same time the Beltway sniper was on trial there). I have been reading the books on the laws here for some time now and concider myself 'well versed' in all of the local laws. However It is an aswome responcibility. Its going to take me a while to get used to carrying on a daily basis.
  Right now I'm carrying a SFA 1911 but thats only untill I can get the HK USP compact I decided on which should be soon. I'm still debating on the best holsters to go with. The uncle Mikes I've got now is Sh!t. I'll probably go with a Galco of some type.

Any thoughts on The HK or holster recomendations is appreciated!

JIM
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
LTCetme,

Congratulations on your permit.

I can't comment on the H&K - Galco since I don't carry or wear either.

I carry a Glock 22 in 40 S&W.  As far as a holster goes I use a FOBUS paddle holster and FOBUS 2 mag paddle carrier.  I'm a south-paw so holster selection can be a bear.  Worse is trying to find something off the shelf.  

I enjoy using a paddle holster because at times I'll enter a premise that is not covered under my permit.  (Such as bars, gov offices, etc.)  It sure is nice to be able to take the whole works off without removing a belt. The paddle is something to consider.

Take care.

Sly
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
If Milt Sparks makes a Summer Special for your HK USP compact take a long look at it. Yhey are great. I don't fault your choice of weapons but I am curious. I have large hands (size 12) and I never could take a liking to H&K pistols. They have always seemed too complex to me and thay never felt right in my hand. Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I am now carrying a sig 220 in a milt sparks executive companion.  I have a custom 1911 on the way from a friend of mine and I am going to try a comp-tac kydex rig (IWB).  If it isn't as comfortable a the ms Ill probably go back to the leather again for the 1911 or just carry the sig when needed.  For myself, I wouldn't consider anything but iwb unless it was cold.  I have two ms iwbs and they are both very comfortable.  The olny thing wrong with the sparks line is the wait.  Just my 2
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
In order:

Milt Sparks Summer Special
Galco
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Another nod to Milt Sparks, or Lou Alessi.
Try this store:
www.lightningarms.com
They stock Sparks & Alessi holsters. Unknown if they have models for your particular gun. That will get you out of having to wait 3 months for it to be built.
I agree that Uncle mikes are crap when it comes to concealing a gun, and keeping your finish where it belongs, on your gun.
Welcome to fold, you'll begin to forget the gun is on you when you're in public, at least until you need it. Unless you keep carrying in that uncle mike, then you might be in pain.
After time, it stops feeling like a dirty little secret you're trying to hide.
-Steve
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been carrying a USP40c in Northern VA for a couple years now. I carry daily, the only exceptions being when I have to go somewhere I can't legally carry, and most of the time I just unload and lock the pistol in my vehicle for those situations. Since I do enjoy dining out and do not enjoy leaving my pistol behind if I can legally bring it, this entails a fair amount of open carry. I started out with a soft Uncle Mike's IWB holster I picked up at Galyan's for ten bucks. I then decided I wanted something with a thumb break and a bit more durability for those times when I'm carrying openly or in a large crowd, but I still wanted to have optimal concealment. After trying out a couple others in the $20-$30 range (yeah, I'm a cheap bastard) and looking around a lot at the more expensive holsters, I came to the conclusion that you can't have everything. I still can't find anything that conceals better than my cheap little Uncle Mike's (though I did find one that also had a thumb break, which for some reason doesn't fit as well), and I settled on a DeSantis for open carry. I believe it's the "Thumb Break Scabbard". The DeSantis feels a lot more secure in crowds, it's more comfortable to wear all day and for long drives, and it conceals just fine with a jacket. I'm still curious to check out the Versa Max II and Smart Carryfor total concealment, but for now I'm pretty happy with my DeSantis. I would recommend finding a shop with a good selection that will let you try holsters on with your pistol.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#7]
DON'T FORGET THE BELT!

I carried a Colt 1991 Compact (Officer's Model) in a Galco Royal Guard for several months, and couldn't figure out why my hips hurt, it kept sliding around like the holster was greased, kept stabbing me in the "love handles," etc., until I figured out that I was just slapping that high-quality holster on whatever belt I happened to be wearing.

Finally got off my wallet and ordered a Galco dress belt.  A little more pricey that what I'm used to paying for a belt, but now I can carry even my full-sized 1911 all day without any discomfort.  I also switched to a Milt Sparks summer special holster for both, because I think they hold the pistol just slightly lower towards the belt line than the Galco, and I like the leather tab that holds the safety in place--I've had the safety swiped off before during normal day-to-day carry.

The holster you choose may be top-notch, but most people forget that the belt is what supports it all day; make sure you choose a good one--it will make your carrying experience much more pleasurable.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]
LTCetme:

As a full-time deputy, working (mostly) plainclothes right now, I would echo the comments about the Milt Sparks holsters. I have two Executive Companions now, one for a .45 Commander & one for a Glock 27, and they are without any question the best & most comfortable leather I have ever seen. I have a Glock IWB from a very well-known & VERY expensive holster-maker which just collects dust since I tried the Sparks EC. A bonus is the available waterproof membrane which keeps the perspiration off the gun during the hot, muggy summers here.

As limaxray pointed out, while you're doing this, do yourself a favor & get a matching belt. A great holster is wasted on a cheap belt that sags and twists. I bought a Sparks belt & it is THE BEST investment I made. If you have a couple of good belts, Sparks makes the EC with interchangeable belt loops to fit different size belts, too.

IMHO, Sparks products are well worth the wait. I am getting ready to order one for my Kahr PM9 for off-duty carry.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Sparks, Alessi, or Galco for leather. Bladetech for Kydex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top