Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2008 6:55:43 AM EDT
in the ccw pic thread somebody posted a pic of a sub2000 as their carry weapon. i was wondering if it is actually possible for a civilian to get a license to carry a rifle or carbine or something like an AR pistol?
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't do it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#2]
This depends on your state. If it is a "concealed handgun permit" then you are restricted to a handgun...though an AR pistol is technically a handgun. If it is a "concealed weapons permit" then you can carry pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
You don't even need a permit to carry around a rifle in Texas.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I love it here.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
In Kentucky you are licensed to carry a concealed deadly weapon. It is not exclusive to pistols.

The following weapons are covered:

* Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
   * Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
   * Billy, nightstick, or club.
   * Blackjack or slapjack.
   * Nunchaku karate sticks.
   * Shiriken or death star.
   * Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
In AZ, the only thing a permit does is allow you to carry concealed.  In other words, if it's legal to carry openly, it's legal to carry concealed with a permit.

Thus the only thing you are not allowed to CCW is nunchucks. (for some reason those are illegal in this state)
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't do it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Don't do it.

+1

Check your state laws, if you're really curious, but in NC, for example, you're issued a "Concealed Handgun Permit" and a handgun is all that it covers. Other places, like some mentioned above, apply to many weapons.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Don't do it.

+1

+1 more...

You're asking for trouble to carry anything but a handgun.  Lawyers would drool over a case with you as the defendant if you carried an SBR.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Why would you want to carry an SBR as a CCW?  Like others already said, you are setting yourself up for trouble.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't like to say anything without knowing for sure but I'm gonna do it anyway.  I've been told that a rifle of a certain length is not considered "Concealable" according to MO law.  Therefore you cannot get into trouble if you conceal it.  It's been since The 90's since I've heard any mention of that so the details have been lost to me.  This was something I looked into when I used to ride my motorcycle to the range with the barrel of my Uzi B sticking out of a backpack.  I know the feeling of not wanting to go to the PD with a rifle under your coat and asking them if its legal.  Cops don't know the law anyway.  Good luck w/ this.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, a rifle is ur trunk locked up is legal. But having a pistol is not legal without a CCW. I think a 16 inch ar-15 in a trunk is the safest bet, im gonna have one in my trunk within the next month
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes, a rifle is ur trunk locked up is legal. But having a pistol is not legal without a CCW. I think a 16 inch ar-15 in a trunk is the safest bet, im gonna have one in my trunk within the next month

don't know which TX you are in. I just sit mine in the passenger seat or overhead rack if in the truck.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
But having a pistol is not legal without a CCW.

In MO you can you can carry concealed in your vehicle same as in your living room.  New law considers your vehicle private property.  The OP is in Missouri.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In Kentucky you are licensed to carry a concealed deadly weapon. It is not exclusive to pistols.

The following weapons are covered:

* Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
   * Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
   * Billy, nightstick, or club.
   * Blackjack or slapjack.
   * Nunchaku karate sticks.
   * Shiriken or .death star
   * Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.

I am going to move so I can ccw a death star
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
Yes, a rifle is ur trunk locked up is legal. But having a pistol is not legal without a CCW. I think a 16 inch ar-15 in a trunk is the safest bet, im gonna have one in my trunk within the next monthNow we can carry a handgun in our cars with out a ccw. That changed just a while back. My dad decided not to get his chl when that happened . When he said it to me I asked him what happens when he's robbed,attacked, or worse outside of his car where its more likely to happen? He's changed his mind but still aint got it yet.  op-sorry for getn off topic
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I want to carry THIS!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]
In West Virginia my permit says i can only carry a pistol/revolver concealed.  Technically we arent allowed to carry a large knife concealed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#19]
If you really need more firepower than a regular handgun get a AR pistol, Krink, SP89, or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
in the ccw pic thread somebody posted a pic of a sub2000 as their carry weapon. i was wondering if it is actually possible for a civilian to get a license to carry a rifle or carbine or something like an AR pistol?

OP is from MO.  In MO we have a concealed WEAPON permit.  only a few types of weapons are not allowed.  My CCW instructor, as well as a few lawyers have said that we can carry a supressed MP5, concealed, if we want too.  We can even carry a CZ with the bayonette attached.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now we can carry a handgun in our cars with out a ccw. That changed just a while back. My dad decided not to get his chl when that happened . When he said it to me I asked him what happens when he's robbed,attacked, or worse outside of his car where its more likely to happen? He's changed his mind but still aint got it yet.  op-sorry for getn off topic

Does anyone know when it changed, im curious?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now we can carry a handgun in our cars with out a ccw. That changed just a while back. My dad decided not to get his chl when that happened . When he said it to me I asked him what happens when he's robbed,attacked, or worse outside of his car where its more likely to happen? He's changed his mind but still aint got it yet.  op-sorry for getn off topic

Does anyone know when it changed, im curious?

I want to say it was 2005 (late) or 2006.  It was an update to the "traveling" law as in as long as you a "traveling" in the state of TX you can have a loaded firearm in your vehicle.  I don't know anymore details than that.

I do know that the law was similar before the changes because a coworker of mine was pulled over in TX while riding his motorcycle and a DPS trooper found his pistol.  Coworker was panicked but the DPS trooper just ran the serial number, unloaded it (first of course), and then gave it back when he found it was not stolen.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#23]
In Pennsylvania we have a weird definition for "firearms."

Here is our definition from here

"Firearm."
   Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

So according to the law I can carry a short barreled rifle or shotgun.  Not sure about AOWs.  They don't seem wild about knives.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Here in MI we are only allowed to carry pistols. Rifle and shotguns must be unloaded and unaccesible in vehicles. Rifle are a no-no.

However, we also have an idiotic law that says that if your rifle is between 26 and 30 inches long it must be registered as a pistol.  My folding stock AK now rides everywhere with me that my handgun could go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Why would you even want to?

If you need to CCW an SBR, it's time to move, brother...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top