Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2008 4:41:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]
personally, i wouldn't have mentioned anything about carrying at all.  just been like, honey, i have to go home and walk the dog (or some other excuse)...

i'm not a person that advertises that a carry - i carry everywhere...

anyways, she had a great response to your comment regarding the seatbelt.  

going forward, i'd just leave the comments regarding the gun carry to yourself and your close friends.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
My wife and I dont avertise I carry, we assumed she knew - must be the ONLY person she works with that didnt know. I've taught the CCW course to several of her coworkers, and taken at least half out to shoot machine guns for fun.

My thinking everyone knew, was part of what caught me so off guard.

gotcha...more understandable now...

still, pretty good response from this lady - is she cute? ;)
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Steve, the seatbelt is a bad analogy, as you found out.  "Do you have health insurance" is probably a better one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
"I carry a gun wherever I go for the same reason I carried a condom when I was younger everywhere I went. I want to have it in case I need it."
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
"It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
"Because its the law. There's no law that says I can't."
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Never advertise, some one will say do something you got a gun.........
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a pistol because I can't carry a cop.

I carry a pistol because I believe I am responsible for my own personal safety.

I carry a pistol because I can't walk around with a loaded rifle
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Your reply should be that you have a concealed permit for the same reason, you'll get arrested without it. She chooses to drive, you choose to carry a weapon, both choices require training and proficiency to be legal.

Your original question should be what does wearing a seat belt do for you?
Or
Can a seatbelt save your life if you need it?

I'm with you, I hate to get caught without a thought out response.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Ha yeah gotta give her credit for thinking a little bit and giving a good comeback. But yeah i just tell people straight up, hey bad things happen and when they do, bam!
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#16]

"Because its the law. Are you going to get a ticket and a fine if you dont carry a gun?"

"So you wouldn't buckle up for safety if it wasn't required by law?"
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

her friend asked why I carry a gun

"Because bad things can happen to good people anywhere at anytime and I choose to be ready to handle just such situations should they arise. "

Yup. When you said "I said "Why do you wear a seatbelt?"" you handed her the momentum of the arguement. The way to deal with such people is to answer as SGB did, THEN put THEM on the defensive.

Asking the question as you did betrays that you are being defensive... and being defensive in an arguement ALWAYS brings out the OFFENSIVE in aggressive people. They don't play fair, remember; she probably wears the seat belt for all the right reasons, but gave you a line of BS to throw you off guard. She saw you coming, and was ready for  you!
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I said "Why do you wear a seatbelt?"  She said "Because its the law."

So, how many other things does she ONLY do because she is afraid of getting arrested if she doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd offer to take her out shooting and continue the conversaton then. Most people that are anti gun, anti carry don't know the first thing about firearms. All they know is what the media tells them, and that is only cops and crooks have guns.

"The armed citizen is Americas original homeland security" That is what I tell people who ask why I CCW.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

her friend asked why I carry a gun

"Because bad things can happen to good people anywhere at anytime and I choose to be ready to handle just such situations should they arise. "

Now, promptly go up to her and tell her that....and tell her you had to come here to get it. lol

I always think of a better come back about 2 hours late...
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I counter with, "do you have life insurance?  If so, why?  It's just death reimbursement.  My gun is life insurance."
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steve, the seatbelt is a bad analogy, as you found out.  "Do you have health insurance" is probably a better one.

I usually ask why they have a fire extinguisher, and depending on the response I follow up with the fire department  is only a phone call away, or ask about how often they train with the extinguisher.

Actually, that is a very interesting point. My mother was always EXTREME anti gun (I grew up in So.CA.) When I was about 8YO I think we had a fire safety class at school or something, I begged and pleaded my mother to get a fire extinguisher after that. She was addament "YOU CAN'T PUT OUT A HOUSE FIRE WITH A FIRE EXTINGUISHER! YOU'LL JUST GET KILLED IF YOU TRY TO PUT OUT A FIRE!" So that counter-point probably won't work on a liberal.  BTW; my mother now CCWs, she still won't learn CPR/first aid or fire safety though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Id say because i want to protect me and my family from anything that may harm them, doesnt mean it has to be a person, maybe a big ass pit that got loose. Ive seen people get attacked by pits and rotts, and i would rather have a gun and put a dog down then try to fight him off with whatever is around me, i work at a hospital BTW.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#25]
"Why do you wear a seatbelt?" She said "Because its the law. Are you going to get a ticket and a fine if you dont carry a gun?"

Should have said something like this:

No, I won't get a ticket if I don't carry. Unlike some,I also don't need threat of a law & possible ticket to take personal responsibility for my own safety! It applies to both wearing a seatbelt & personal carry.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#26]
This is my reply when someone ask me that question.
"I cannot think of a situation that I would put myself in that I would need a gun.  I carry one for the situations that I cannot think of."
That usually quiet's them down and stop's any further questions about it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Why do I carry a gun?  Same reason I have a spare tire in my vehicle and a credit card in my wallet.  You never know when you will really need it and it's much better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  

CSP
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
......... we were in a professional setting, I dont want any attention drawn to me. I mentioned I dont go to places that serve alcohol because of my CCW. When my wife explained "He carries a gun everywhere" ............

Please don't be offended, but IMO, your wife needs to be reprimanded for blabbing shit like that!
I've got a father who's the same way, even worse though. We'd been out hunting all day in an old International scout, well the doors don't lock, so I was going to hide my UNLOADED rifle under the seat while we go into a diner for lunch, it was the kind of diner you could see the truck from inside, but still I didn't want to ADVERTISE. Anyways, my dad gets out, walks up on the curb, puts his hands on his hips and in a VERY LOUD voice blurts out "YA GUNNA LEAVE YOUR RIFLE UNDER THE SEAT?"<----me. I go "get back in the truck!" I explained how it aint hidden when he blurts out shit like that. So we skipped lunch that day. He still does the SAME SHIT. Say my mom wants to hide her purse in the trunk while they go on a walk. He'll get out walk 50" away and yell back "you locking your purse in the trunk...der?" with homeless people standing all around.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#29]
You could've just said "I'm compensating for the fact that I can't deter bad guys with a harsh look".

Normally I'd suggest "I'm compensating for the fact that I can't kill bad guys 5 yards away with my cock", but you said it was a business setting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#30]
"you see, I'm an independant person.  I don't depend on an under-paid, under-staffed police department for my personal safety."

Of course there are countless daily scenarios that I always point out (at least to my wife) of "now had that person had a firearm...".
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#31]
"The penalty for not being ready to protect oneself can be much greater than a $100 fine."

"I believe that it is my responsibility to care for my own financial and physical security rather than rely on the government.  I don't plan on social security to support me in retirement and I don't plan on the police intervening when somebody is trying to kill me."

"Should a person only take reasonable precautions under fear of government penalty?"

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Being me I would have said "because my court ordered anger management class hasn't adequetly prepared me for just talking to solve my problems."

Otherwise the fire extinguisher is a good one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#33]
tell her that handguns are like condoms. better to have and not need then need and not have!
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:She asked again, if I took it everywhere, and I said yes, I'm even taking it to the little boys room with me right now and walked away. Walked away to my car and went home.  

Did I miss someone pointing this out?

So, she had a good point and you went home and pouted??

She sure won that one!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
tell her that handguns are like condoms. better to have and not need then need and not have!

Dammit, this guy beat me to it!
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Why do you need to explain at all? If someone is against carrying, nothing you say, or liken it to is going to change their minds. If Im put in that situation, I simply answer, "because I can". They are going to think my reply is stupid, but I really dont care what they think. I dont try to argue and debate my opinion on the matter. It really is pointless. I respect their choice not to carry or own weapons, and ask that they give me the same respect in return.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 5:03:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Your law trumps hers.........it's an amendment.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#38]
easy

1st off, imo, the LAW should not require a damn ADULT to wear a seatbelt  if one should choose to NOT wear a seatbelt, and they get hit by a truck, thats thier own damn CHOICE and fault

on the 2nd hand, a "RIGHT to bear arms" is guaranteed under the 2nd Amendment and the Bill of Rights--its a RIGHT that one should excersise if they wish (it just so happens that the laws and govt require that its citizens register for CCWs)

but to be brief, i'd say "No ma'am, i wont get a ticket and fine if i dont carry a gun, but then, NOT having a gun wont save your a** or mine if the SHTF...which imo is worth more than a fine and a ticket..."
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I debate people on a gun in the home (being in new jerseystan, the serfs can't carry):  i'm not a little guy, the guys who go to my school could vouch for that. In terms of strength, i often embarass the athletes at the school's gym. (its usually a female liberal that starts this debate) when she starts with the why do you need a gun question?  I put it to her like this- sure, i'm a big strong guy, now imagine someone with my strength, but with an ill will.
If that man wanted her purse, right now, there is very little she could do about it. If he was merciful, the police would get there just in time to find her bloodied on the ground, and robbed. those hours she spent at work, are now gone; and she may have suffered permanent injury. and why? because some big asshole decided that, and there was nothing she should do about it. a guy as strong as me could run with a 130lb woman over his shoulder, at least far enough to be hidden. they could also fight a cellphone from her hand or snap it like a toy,  without much of an issue.  and her striking this guy? when fighting, unless you know what you're doing, getting close to a guy as strong as i am is a very, very bad idea.  
its kind of a scary and creepy way of putting it, but they start to understand the idea. you could also mention this one: imagine you're in your room, and luckily the door is locked. imagine a guy my size, slamming on the door, screaming profanity. the door will most likely not hold if he's serious. if you managed to call the cops, imagine sitting there, waiting for 5 minutes. 5, long, minutes, on hold with 911 as drago beats on your door.
now imagine these situations with a gun. donkey kong wants her purse, he suprizes her and manages to knock her down, she draws. his desicion is try for the purse and die, or keep his hands up.
the banging on the door happens, he starts yelling, she calls 911, he breaks through the door, he's given the ultimatum- desist, or die.
you never ask for the situation to happen, but it happens, be prepared. and for the "oh that doesn't happen". isn't that what everyone says? 'oh that happens to someone else'. well that did happen to someone else. it happens every day. people are murdered, raped, and robbed every day. to say it doesn't happen, or can't happen? yes, and world war 1 was the world to end all wars.... everyone believed that for a long time...

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If that man wanted her purse, right now, there is very little she could do about it. If he was merciful, the police would get there just in time to find her bloodied on the ground, and robbed. those hours she spent at work, are now gone; and she may have suffered permanent injury. and why? because some big asshole decided that, and there was nothing she should do about it. a guy as strong as me could run with a 130lb woman over his shoulder, at least far enough to be hidden. they could also fight a cellphone from her hand or snap it like a toy,  without much of an issue.  and her striking this guy? when fighting, unless you know what you're doing, getting close to a guy as strong as i am is a very, very bad idea.  
its kind of a scary and creepy way of putting it, but they start to understand the idea. you could also mention this one: imagine you're in your room, and luckily the door is locked. imagine a guy my size, slamming on the door, screaming profanity. the door will most likely not hold if he's serious. if you managed to call the cops, imagine sitting there, waiting for 5 minutes. 5, long, minutes, on hold with 911 as drago beats on your door.
now imagine these situations with a gun. donkey kong wants her purse, he suprizes her and manages to knock her down, she draws. his desicion is try for the purse and die, or keep his hands up.
the banging on the door happens, he starts yelling, she calls 911, he breaks through the door, he's given the ultimatum- desist, or die.
you never ask for the situation to happen, but it happens, be prepared. and for the "oh that doesn't happen". isn't that what everyone says? 'oh that happens to someone else'. well that did happen to someone else. it happens every day. people are murdered, raped, and robbed every day. to say it doesn't happen, or can't happen? yes, and world war 1 was the world to end all wars.... everyone believed that for a long time...

A libtard will say "just give them whatever they want and they'll leave" Beleave me, I know.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#41]
You should have ignored her `baiting you` response to your reason for not going to said places and let her stew.  Since you did try to one better her, you did the best thing by leaving. No regrets.  She said/he said situations can escalate.

She needs better social skills.
To get along with others: don`t criticize.  Criticism - direct or indirect.

`` nugun:: Your law trumps hers.........it's an amendment ``
That`s a good one right there.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#42]
I won't get a ticket for not carrying, but I might get killed if I don't.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#43]
"Same reason you have a spare tire in the trunk of your car.  You'll probably never need it, you hope you'll never need it, but the one time you do need it and don't have it...you're fucked."
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:46:32 AM EDT
[#44]
The last time somebody standoff-ishly asked why I carry, I smiled and said,

"Because you don't."

They dropped the issue right there.
I don't know if that even made sense, but it worked!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#45]
"Some folks aren't law abiding like you and I, that's why I carry..."
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Never advertise that you carry a handgun. Make up another excuse as to why you don't go to joints that serve alcohol.

I would also have a conversation withy my wife and make it clear not to talk about your ccw as well.

If you make it known to people that simply do not need to know, then you do not need to be carrying a weapon IMO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I concur...

I told my better half (and my closest friends that know) to basically treat it
like an embarassing medical condition - not to be blabbered about to just anyone.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Never advertise that you carry a handgun. Make up another excuse as to why you don't go to joints that serve alcohol.

I would also have a conversation withy my wife and make it clear not to talk about your ccw as well.

If you make it known to people that simply do not need to know, then you do not need to be carrying a weapon IMO.

I just say I'm a 12 stepper and don't want to be around alcohol. People usually have no idea how to answer that one.  Truth is, I've never been a big drinker... more than one or two and I get a headache.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm usually really good with the comebacks, but I was COMPLETELY taken by surprise by this person.  

This is a business associate of my wife's, and we were in a professional setting, I dont want any attention drawn to me. I mentioned I dont go to places that serve alcohol because of my CCW. When my wife explained "He carries a gun everywhere" her friend asked why I carry a gun. I said "Why do you wear a seatbelt?"  She said "Because its the law. Are you going to get a ticket and a fine if you dont carry a gun?"

The clever broad cold clocked me and got me with one I never heard before.

My reply took too long.

I responded, politely with "Like a seat belt, the one time you forget to buckle up, is going to be the time you're hit by a truck"

That didnt asnwer her question.

She asked again, if I took it everywhere, and I said yes, I'm even taking it to the little boys room with me right now and walked away. Walked away to my car and went home.  The conversation with my wife should be interesting, as I'm sure she had to make up some BS as to why I left...

Um... no? I wear a seatbelt because when something bad happens to me while riding a car, my chances of survival goes way higher because it restrains my body from any possible impact. The purpose of the law is to facilitate this fact and is not the reason  itself for the need to do so.

Same logic with carrying a firearm, when something bad happens, its purpose is to increase your chances of survival againts a threat (or for some people is to have walmart stories).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top