Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2008 2:36:33 PM EDT
What do you folks do with your gun when you are taking a shower at home?  I used to take it off and put it away in my bedroom because I was concerned about corrosion due to water condensation.
Now, no, I'm not paranoid, but if you think about it, you are pretty vulnerable in the shower if there is an intruder.  They know exactly where you are, and you may not hear them entering or walking around in your house.  You may not hear them until they start their chainsaw and bust in.  So if we carry around the house anyway it makes sense to have access to a gun while in the shower.
But what about condensation on the gun?  Will the gun be ruined in a short time?  I put my clothes on top of it on the floor.  Sometimes I put it on the AC/heat vent with a shirt on top so that the dry air from the vent comes up, surrounds the gun, and pushes out of the shirt.  But then it is across the (small) room from the shower so if someone kicked the door open there would be a door and a badguy between me and the gun.

Thoughts?
Comments?
Ridicule?
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Glock.  They can shoot underwater!!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
In before someone posts the glock sealed in a plastic bag in the shower pic.

Link Posted: 6/11/2008 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't you know that the grip hole in a Glock is for attaching a rope. Glock on a Rope!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Food saver, is your savior.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Not mine, but I like the pic so much I use it whenever possible.  But seriously, I sweat on my gun all day long, I doubt if 15 minutes in a damp room will ruin it.  And it does go into the bathroom with me when I shower.

Link Posted: 6/12/2008 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Step 1 take the glock out of the shower and never take it in there again (this is crutial for the other steps)

Step 2  get a girlfriend, or boyfriend if you swing that way (the quickest way to make sure that a gal will not stay with you is if she sees your Ron Popeiled glock in the shower)

step 3 teach said gf/bf to shoot

step 4 take a shower (you'll be covered by your significant other while you're in the shower)

Link Posted: 6/12/2008 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you think maritime spring cups are for?
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Your gun in one hand, pistol in the other?  
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I seriously had to doublecheck I was not in GD on this thread.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Seriously, though, do any of you besides 3rdpig take a gun in the bathroom to shower?  Do you worry about rust?  Any gunsmiths or armorers have thoughts on this?

And how about tactics?  We think alot about holster placement and how to draw.  So assuming we do have a gun in the bathroom, where do we put it for optimal access?

Finally, what in the ---- are maritime spring cups?
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are that worried that someone is going to bust through your bathroom door and do you harm, take your gun put it in a ziplock bag and put it one the floor of the shower or on a shelf in the shower.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What do you folks do with your gun when you are taking a shower at home?  I used to take it off and put it away in my bedroom because I was concerned about corrosion due to water condensation.
Now, no, I'm not paranoid, but if you think about it, you are pretty vulnerable in the shower if there is an intruder.  They know exactly where you are, and you may not hear them entering or walking around in your house.  You may not hear them until they start their chainsaw and bust in.  So if we carry around the house anyway it makes sense to have access to a gun while in the shower.
But what about condensation on the gun?  Will the gun be ruined in a short time?  I put my clothes on top of it on the floor.  Sometimes I put it on the AC/heat vent with a shirt on top so that the dry air from the vent comes up, surrounds the gun, and pushes out of the shirt.  But then it is across the (small) room from the shower so if someone kicked the door open there would be a door and a badguy between me and the gun.

Thoughts?
Comments?
Ridicule?

If this is a real concern, might you consider that you're living life wrong somehow? Just a thought. However, my Glock fits right perfect in the tactical toilet tank. Duct tape. Love the stuff.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you are that worried that someone is going to bust through your bathroom door and do you harm, take your gun put it in a ziplock bag and put it one the floor of the shower or on a shelf in the shower.

+1
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Finally, what in the ---- are maritime spring cups?

Increases the reliability of a Glock shooting under water without Kabooming.

Anyway, do you have multiple pistols? How about oiling one up a little more than you usually would for extra moisture protection. And then put it in a ziploc with a few desiccant packs for good measure.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If this is a real concern, might you consider that you're living life wrong somehow? Just a thought. However, my Glock fits right perfect in the tactical toilet tank. Duct tape. Love the stuff.

I don't expect to need one in the shower any more than at the grocery store, while driving, while walking in my neighborhood, while sleeping, etc.----or any less.  The fact is, I don't really expect to need one ever.  The thought of carrying a gun around with me (or into the shower) never even entered my mind until well after I became interested in guns.  However, within the mindset of someone who has decided to carry wherever possible/legal, the question is not "where to carry", it's "where not to carry".

The only reason not to keep my gun near in the shower is because of rust concerns.

I'd be interested to see what sort of stats there are on shower attacks.  I would venture a guess that it happens alot more often than random mall and school shootings.  It just isn't big news.  As for anecdotal evidence, I can think of two actual home bathroom attacks that I have heard of:

1)  In a newspaper article around here a few days ago (St. Louis Post Dispatch?) a man was stabbed while in the shower by a man who suspected him of sleeping with his wife.  Yeah, that's a case of living life wrong somehow if he really was sleeping with another man's wife.  But it doesn't have to be true for someone to suspect you of it.

2)  Lots has been written about the murderer Willie Horton, but so far, the most detailed account of his crime on April 3, 1987 that I can find is in the book "Godless" by Ann Coulter (like her or hate her):

On April 3, 1987, Maryland resident Cliff Barnes had just gotten home from work and was getting undressed when Horton burst through the bathroom door with a woman's stocking over his head.  He began beating Barnes viciously, pistol-whipping him and screaming obscenities--or, if you prefer, "projecting a loud, obscene sense of responsibility."  Fortunately, Barnes was white or at this point Horton almost certainly would have been guilty of a hate crime.  Horton then dragged Barnes to the basement and bound and blindfolded him.  Over the next several hours, Horton slashed Barnes's [sic] torso with a knife dozens of times.  He jammed the barrel of a gun into Barnes's [sic] eyes and mouth, telling Barnes he planned to hang him and watch him die.  As with Horton's murder of Joey Fournier, there was no purpose to these sadistic attacks.  Barnes told him where the credit cardes were.  Horton had broken into the house much earlier in the day;  he could have cleaned the place out and left.  But Horton had waited for the homeowners to return so he could torture and kill them.  The legal mumbo-jumbo for this is "premeditated."

Cliff Barnes wasn't living life wrong somehow.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anyway, do you have multiple pistols? How about oiling one up a little more than you usually would for extra moisture protection. And then put it in a ziploc with a few desiccant packs for good measure.

That's a pretty good idea.  What I don't like about the ziploc bag though is that you'd never get the gun out to use it if someone burst into the room.  You'd have to have a hunch someone is out there before he breaks into the bathroom.

Also, I like to just use my normal carry piece because it's already on me.  And it will be right there when I put on my clean clothes.  And if you have kids, it will be secure in the locked bathroom with you, whether or not you're concerned about defense at that particular time.  

If it is too likely to wreck my dedicated carry gun I'll just have to grease up the Springfield 1911 or just forget about the whole thing.  But where's the fun in that?  I thought this was Arfcom.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I think it is a valid question. After all, I carry my gun under the policy of "better to have and not need than need and not have".

Depending on which bathroom I'm in, I put the gun nearby. In one it is on the lid of the toilet (down obviously) within a second's grasp. The other bathroom has a large sink/counter right next to the shower, so that's where it goes.

I don't worry about rust, since I only have a Glock 26, Stainless steel S&W5946, and SA 1911 MC Operator which has a rust resistant finish. Even so, I just wipe off any moisture if I notice it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#18]
It sounds to me like you are on the verge of "paranoia"?  What are the odds that somebody will attack you in the shower in those particular 7 minutes each day?  I would be more worried about being struck by lightning while playing golf on a sunny day.  If you think you need a firearm in the shower with you, try the advice given here.

Link Posted: 6/13/2008 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Sort of................
Not in the shower exacly. But in the bathroom while showering.
It's not really because I think an attack is likely while showering. It's more so because I'm usually wearing one. I usually undress and redress in the bathroom and the gun comes off and goes back on accordingly. If I'm dressed in any way , I'm usually wearing/carrying a gun. When it's time to shower , I just take it off and put it under the stack of fresh clothes I'll be puting on. The bathroom door is locked and it's the best way for me to keep it secure. I do have a safe in the bedroom  but never really considered going there , taking the gun off and locking it up , showering , then going back there and unlocking it to put it back on. Just seems easier to keep it nearby and just put it back on after dressing. Plus , I don't always shower at my own house and GF does not have a safe in bedroom yet. I don't lock it up in the safe for using the bathroom for other needs either - why would I lock it up for shower time?
I've never worried about moisture - Glock #1.

-JC
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#22]
First of all the title of this thread scared me... I was seriously afraid to open it.

Second:

But seriously, I sweat on my gun all day long, I doubt if 15 minutes in a damp room will ruin it.

Link Posted: 6/13/2008 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It sounds to me like you are on the verge of "paranoia"?  What are the odds that somebody will attack you in the shower in those particular 7 minutes each day?  I would be more worried about being struck by lightning while playing golf on a sunny day.  If you think you need a firearm in the shower with you, try the advice given here.

All other things being equal, the same as any other 7 minutes of the day, which is very low.  

However, let's consider home invasions.  Of the places in the home where a person might be attacked by an invader, I would argue that the shower carries a slightly higher risk than any other place in the home except perhaps the bed.  My reasonsing is that a predator, especially a rapist, who enters the house at any time of the day may consider it advantageous to hide until the resident comes home and enters the shower.  Who expects to get attacked in the shower?  That's the whole point.

So assume generously that the risk in the shower is a whopping 10 times the risk at any other time in the home.  10 times an extremely small number is still an extremely small number.  So paranoia has nothing to do with it.  I'm not worried.  But since there's no reason why not to do it, I will.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Those of you who are not sheep in the shower apparently do not worry about rust.  Very good.  Thankyou.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#25]
shotgun..... you could have soap in your eyes
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is where this whole thing is flawed.  Some people are worried about getting to the gun in time and about not being able to get a ziplock bag open if someone comes bursting through the door.  Unless you shower with the gun in your hand the whole time, the chances of you having it ready are slim to none.  If your wahing your face your eyes are closed.  If you have a shampoo bottle in your hand or  soad or whatever the chances of you getting a good grip on the gun and being able to use it effectivly are shitty as well.  If you are stepping out of the shower to grab a towle and dry off both of your hands are occupied and if someone came through the door then you have a better chance of getting shot with your own gun while grabbing for it.  Being naked is always going to be a disadvantage.  Better option if you feel the need.  Get a security system that monitors all windows and doors, put and extra alarm speaker in the bathroom and leave the gun on the floor outside the shower or in a ziplock bag.  Then when you hear the alarm you will have time to grab the gun and be ready.  Otherwise this whole topic is silly and is more geared towards GD.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Here is where this whole thing is flawed.  Some people are worried about getting to the gun in time and about not being able to get a ziplock bag open if someone comes bursting through the door.  Unless you shower with the gun in your hand the whole time, the chances of you having it ready are slim to none.  If your wahing your face your eyes are closed.  If you have a shampoo bottle in your hand or  soad or whatever the chances of you getting a good grip on the gun and being able to use it effectivly are shitty as well.  If you are stepping out of the shower to grab a towle and dry off both of your hands are occupied and if someone came through the door then you have a better chance of getting shot with your own gun while grabbing for it.  Being naked is always going to be a disadvantage.  Better option if you feel the need.  Get a security system that monitors all windows and doors, put and extra alarm speaker in the bathroom and leave the gun on the floor outside the shower or in a ziplock bag.  Then when you hear the alarm you will have time to grab the gun and be ready.  Otherwise this whole topic is silly and is more geared towards GD.

being naked is not a physical disadvantage.  It is a psycological one.  IMO
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't believe that I am even posting in this thread, but have you considered getting a dog?  Surely he would give enough warning for you to get out of the shower and into your bedroom where your loaded pistol awaits...
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I can't believe that I am even posting in this thread, but have you considered getting a dog?  Surely he would give enough warning for you to get out of the shower and into your bedroom where your loaded pistol awaits...

Have you read many of the reports of home invasions?  They bust in armed and ready.  If they're between you and your gun you might as well bend over and kiss your soapy ass bye-bye.

Back when I lived in the Seattle area an entire family was killed by teenage gang members with baseball bats.  The man of the house was in the shower when they broke in.....he died there.  His wife and  two kids died in other rooms.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

being naked is not a physical disadvantage.  It is a psycological one.  IMO

Both actually.  Think about it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Clean and lube your gun properly and regularly and it won't be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#32]
well Im happy see nobody suggested wearing their glock on their person in the shower.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#33]
In all seriousness, when I got to take a shower, I generally take my gun and holster and sit it on the sink. It's no different than being in any other room of the house.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I u feel un safe while takeing a  shower did u consider  locking batchroom door, or  maybe a stronger door and deadbolt, so by the time the intruder breaks down the door u can already  have your hands dried and firearm of choice  ready to  shoot down any unwanted intruder and possibly already be  contacting local police.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I leave my gun on the bed when in the shower. Or sometimes on the bathroom sink.
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#37]
What, no chocolate chip cookie?
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, I keep a gun in the bathroom when I'm in there. I take a bath, so I throw my glock on the floor where I can grab it while sitting in the tub. I've taken other guns in there before I got the glock, only 1 of my guns (springer 1911) ever got any rust on it. This glock is about a year old, 3,000 round count, never cleaned/lubed or even wiped down. NO RUST!

I've also carried a J frame in a zip lock bag on me while I was working under water in a river.

ETA: I also took the J frame (642) under water by accident on a canoe trip, it still works like new.
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

are you giving them out, if so, I want atleast 1.  damnit I want a cookie and more glock shower pics.
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you giving them out, if so, I want atleast 1.  damnit I want a cookie and more glock shower pics.

Here you go:

Link Posted: 6/17/2008 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#41]
This is my idea.  If you want to have a gun readily accessible while you are IN the shower, get yourself a quality polymer framed gun: Glock, HK, XD, M&P, etc.  When you go to get into the shower spray the slide down the CLP.  Place it somewhere it won't have a stream of water on it inside the shower.  When you get out, wipe it down.  Every couple of weeks detail strip it.

Enjoy.  Id like to hear some opinions on this.
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
This is my idea.  If you want to have a gun readily accessible while you are IN the shower, get yourself a quality polymer framed gun: Glock, HK, XD, M&P, etc.  When you go to get into the shower spray the slide down the CLP.  Place it somewhere it won't have a stream of water on it inside the shower.  When you get out, wipe it down.  Every couple of weeks detail strip it.

Enjoy.  Id like to hear some opinions on this.

I don't know about actually IN the shower, but my concerns were mainly that condensation would form on internal parts like springs, pins, etc.  The gun that I had in mind is an M&P--polymer frame, stainless slide--but I don't know about all the little inner bits.  I was wondering if a little spring or something inside would rust and fail.  Extra lube or CLP would make sense, though.  I just wouldn't want it to collect more lint and dirt than needbe since it's my dedicated carry piece.
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Nobody else has a gun in a zip-loc bag in the toilet tank?  Or a gun shaped bar of soap, like in the Woody Allen film?
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a pretty good idea.  What I don't like about the ziploc bag though is that you'd never get the gun out to use it if someone burst into the room.  You'd have to have a hunch someone is out there before he breaks into the bathroom.

Also, I like to just use my normal carry piece because it's already on me.  And it will be right there when I put on my clean clothes.  And if you have kids, it will be secure in the locked bathroom with you, whether or not you're concerned about defense at that particular time.  

If it is too likely to wreck my dedicated carry gun I'll just have to grease up the Springfield 1911 or just forget about the whole thing.  But where's the fun in that?  I thought this was Arfcom.

Why would you have to get it out of the Zip Lok Bag ? if they are that close to you all you need to do is pull the trigger, put it in a Gallon Bag and you can grip it.
You could actually push an indent into the bag where the trigger is.
it isn't like you are target shooting, all you need it for is CLOSE self defense so it would work good.
I lay my XD-40 on a shelf right beside my shower, my bathroom door squeaks as soon as it is touched, and my Wife can't figure out why I won't do something with the bathroom door
As for "Living Wrong" to get attacked in a bathrom, the way someone lives has nothing to do if you will be attacked anywhere in your house or anywhere at any time for that matter.
Around our area the scum from the "Bad Part" of town come to the "Good Part" of town to rob and steal, they sure as hell aren't going to get anything worth a damn from the
"Bad Part" of town.
As stated before, the chances of geting attacked ina bathroom are slim, but it is also slim that you will get attacked anywhere but there is still a CHANCE that it can happen.
I hope I NEVER get atacked or need to draw my Gun, but I sure as hell want my gun handy if that chance ever happens.
There are days when I don't feel like carrying my gun to the Garage, Barn or to the corner market, afterall I will only be out for 3 minutes, but I tell myself that those 3 minutes could turn to hell if some dipshit decides to commit a robbery or mugging in those 3 minutes.
My Wife works afternoons and when I shower, she is usually at work, maybe I could talk her into letting me get a girlfriend to watch my back when I am in the shower
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#45]
My gun sits on the countertop in the bathroom when I shower but found this and it gave me a laugh. link
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Step 1 take the glock out of the shower and never take it in there again (this is crutial for the other steps)

Step 2  get a girlfriend, or boyfriend if you swing that way (the quickest way to make sure that a gal will not stay with you is if she sees your Ron Popeiled glock in the shower)

step 3 teach said gf/bf to shoot

step 4 take a shower (you'll be covered by your significant other while you're in the shower)

Sorry...but your logic is flawed...how do you expect her to "cover you" when she is in the shower with you!!!???  You'll have to come up with a better alternative!
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I generally lock the bathroom door and set my G23 on the sink. No worries.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I generally lock the bathroom door and set my G23 on the sink. No worries.

Said like a true engineer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I generally lock the bathroom door and set my XD40 G23 on the sink. No worries.

Link Posted: 6/23/2008 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top