Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2003 3:52:57 AM EDT
Since I'm (we're) new to this concealed carry couple of things I'm foggy about.

1). Does "concealed" mean nobody must never see it, or you could get arrested. Like if you bend over and a gun hater sees the bottom of your holster? Is that "disorderly conduct" to a Cop?

2). If you're stopped for a traffic violation must you tell the Officer as he walks up that you are carrying?

3). Can a Cop, in any circumstances, if you have a permit, confiscate your sidearm? Do you ask for a receipt? What if he won't give you one?

I understand all this stuff will be covered during the 22 hours classroom instruction, but it's been bugging me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Here are the best answers I can give.

1) Depends on the state and what there definitions are.  It also is going to depend on the first few cases tried.  I will tell you that in the state of NC yes and no.  NC has open carry so if I accidently let it be known that I have a gun I'm covered.  However they also have a law against terrorizing the public which as near as I can figure out means if someone gets scared and call the cops I lose just because they saw the gun.

2) Depends on the state, in NC YES!!  However it is always a good idea to announce the fact, you don't want him wondering when he runs your license and he finds out you have a permit.  You also don't want him to be suprised when he accidently notices it.  I have found that most cops are very pro CCW.  In fact it has gotten me out of one ticket as we started BS'n about guns and he just let me go.

3) I have no frickin idea.  My thought and guidance on this are if he wants your gun you're probably going with him so it's a mute point.  If he wanted my gun but not me I would ask for a receipt if he refused to give me one I would first ask for more officers to be present and then take note of all names and character features including car #'s.  Remember you are not going to win a gunfight with a cop even if you're standing and he's not you'll lose in the courts.  Plus like 99% of all cops are the good guys they truly enjoy helping people. The others are sick demented fucks that enjoy bullying or have not figured out that cops do not get paid near enough for what they do.  Remember you can be about 90% sure that a cop is not going to gun you down in cold blood.  He has to assume you are, cuz' he has no ide what your intentions are.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Woodrow. No one could have answered my questions any better...

I never thought in my lifetime (65 yrs) I would see CCW in this back-ass state. The Governor(D) said he would veto but because of the NRA lobbyists and a lot of "fed up" citizenry word is there's enough votes to over-ride the air-head.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Packing.org  Many good answers to your future questions.
www.packing.org/

Edited to fix link
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Read somewhere that you can't shoot anyone under age 18 after 11:00pm. And all victims have to be at least 6" between the ears..

I'm in a silly mood.  Thanks for your help. I understand the seriousness and consequences of CCW and it's not to be a joking matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top