Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2003 4:51:17 PM EDT
I'm new to CCW and I'm trying to work out the "right" mode of carry. I'm currently relying on a K-T P32 in my back pocket until I get at least another hundred rounds or so through my new Kahr MK9. Not the best setup - already noticed the mag release was depressed once without my knowledge - but I'm working with what I have.

Considering the added weight and bulk of the steel 9mm, I'm probably going to move to either a Milt Sparks VMII or a Comp-Tac C-TAC. Anyone have any *bad* things to say about either models? I haven't heard many negatives so far but figured this is a good place to ask.

I'm also wondering if anyone uses a cross-draw holster for daily wear. I don't drive for a living but I *do* spend a lot of my days behind the wheel and have noticed the seat belt attachment could really screw up drawing from 3:30-4:00, especially under stress.

Input, folks, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:48:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Cars & seat belts are a problem. My solution was to buy a Mr. Softy from High Noon Holsters and velcro it beneath the dash on the center console. When I get in the car and buckle up I just stick the gun in the Mr. Softy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:53:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Cars & seat belts are a problem. My solution was to buy a Mr. Softy from High Noon Holsters and velcro it beneath the dash on the center console. When I get in the car and buckle up I just stick the gun in the Mr. Softy.

Just make sure you can legally do that.  A couple of states actually require you to have the gun physically on you to be legal.  It's only a very few, but just make sure.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Another issue for carrying the gun in the car is the company you keep. If another person can get access to the firearm who is riding with you, it may be considered concealed or possession for him.
In some state's, if the person doesn't have a CCW as well, and they have access, you're boned.
Best choice is to keep it on your person.
Ain't the laws great?

Milt Sparks is a good choice for leather. The VMII and the Watch six are great rigs. The Watch six doesn't have the reinforcement strap as does the VMII. This makes the Watch Six thinner which is a good thing when it comes to IWB holsters.
The VMII is less likely to collapse after drawn for one handed holster draws. This isn't that big of a problem though with MS holsters, my Improved Baker from them doesn't have the reinforcement strap, and it has never collapsed even when I sit on it empty which I do frequently.
Get a Milt Sparks belt. No belt you own will be sturdy enough to do a proper job of keeping a holster in one place, and not allowing it to flop  and hang away from your body.
Notice these holsters attatch with snaps, if you intend to get a spare mag carrier, I recommend getting snaps on them as well. This will save a lot of wear and tear on your belt.
I recommend a 1.5" belt tapered to 1 or 1.25" in the front. This will make your belt look normal, and not like a gun belt.Plus, if you're over-weight, the taper makes it easier to bend over.
Have you contacted MS to be sure they make this holster for the Kahr MK9?
If they don't, consider Lou Alessi.
Figure on waiting 8 - 13 weeks on MS.
-Steve
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Keith,

I carry the Springfield Compact LW, 4" barrel Inside the Waste Band (IWB), using the Versa Max-2 and it is extremely comfortable. I carry at least 9 hours a day, and at days end I'm not sore or "tired" of carrying at all. I use the Kydex Clips so I can tuck my shirts in. No "printing" what so ever! My recommendation is to buy the Milt Sparks and be done with it. Don't waste your time or money on lesser rigs. You'll be sorry. Contact Lightning Arms Sports. The sell Milt Sparks products and when I ordered mine, they got it to me in 3 days!  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies, folks.

The laws here are a little funky but not bad these days. It's legal to have a loaded pistol in your car for "all legal purposes, including self-defense" but there was some confusion among the LEOs I asked if directly under your seat is "in the vehicle" or "on your person". With my permit, now, it's a moot point - legal all around.

Still, I'm not to keen on the idea of drawing and reholstering every time I get in or out of the truck. Solution: another new "vehicle-dedicated" gun!

I just traded emails with Tony from M-S. He's not sure, either, if they make the Watch Six for the MK-9 but gave me the number at the factory to find out. At $58 and with nobody crying "POS!", it seems like the smart way to go for now.

Btw, I'm not overweight. Too damned skinny, actually, or I'd have stuck with my Glock 21 for a carry piece. It'll still work in the winter but I end up looking a bit like John Merrick Jr. trying to conceal it in just t-shirt and shorts.

Whereabouts is Lightning Arms, Smokey? I'm up by Longmont/Loveland, north of Boulder (,People's Republik of).

Thanks again, all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Keith,

Lightning Arms is in Oregon and they ship quickly!

www.lightningarms.com

By the way, I'm in Ft. Collins. Hello neighbor!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Good deal. Thanks, Smokey (and howdy, yourself).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top