Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2003 12:11:05 PM EDT
i have a colt officers model.  uncomfortable as heck in concealed carry.  i'm built with no waistline and the rough edges chew me up.  any of the 1911 style carriers: what holsters do ya'll use?  i can't wear a jacket all the time and sloppy, open shirts over tees won't cut it.  i saw the post on the smartcarry and may try it.  IWB holsters so far have left me chaffed.  any suggestions?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a Fobus paddle holster.  Recommend wearing a t-shirt under a strait shirt-tailed dress shirt.  If you wear a paddle holster w/out the undershirt it will probably wear on you pretty hard.  Also practice drawing, with weapon totally unloaded, by raising your over-shirt with left hand and drawing with your right or vice-versa if you're a lefty.  The Fobus holster has enough gap between the paddle and holster to not dig in to your side but will necissitate wearing a larger shirt to not imprint.  The Hawai'in style shirts work good over-sized and break up any gun imprint well.  I carry a Beretta 92FS this way quite often and it works, especially in hot weather.  Draw time for me is approximately 2.5 - 3 seconds to first shot, at the range and not in an adrynaline soaked situation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't waste your time with cheap kydex.Fobus is not good for concealing unless you wear a coat.The Smartcarry will probably be too awkward with the heavier 1911.Mine was great for small guns like the G26 but a P12 was too much.Look into a quality holster and buy only once.www.lightningarms.com sells quality holsters w/o waiting.You can also check out www.gunnersalley.com.You might want to have the pistol dehorned a bit and choose a holster that has a body shield on the side that comes in contact with your body.FWIW, I carry a full-size 1911 in a Milt Sparks SS2 under a t-shirt or golf shirts most of the time.Many of the holster makers offer a tuckable holster as well that allows IWB carrying and being able tuck the shirt in.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry a full-size 1911 in a Safariland IWB holster (Model 27-53). I'm not sure what "rough edges)" you are referring to, but this holster has a leather shield that comes up over the safety, etc. It's not one of the real short holsters that exposes everything above the trigger guard.

Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Milt Sparks Versa Max II for the Kimber compact when i owned it. Was very comfortable, but i wore it under a tucked in t-shirt with a button down, short sleeved shirt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Milt Sparks Versa Max-2 here, (IWB). I'm cofortable all day carrying my Springfield Compact LW.

Try wearing a "Wife Beater" t-shirt. I do and it keeps the rig from rubbing against bare skin.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
www.fistholsters.com/holsters/holster/21a.htm
I use one of these without the shield, though if I ever need to replace it, I'll get this one.  FIST is a good compromise of quality and price.  If you can afford it, though, get the VersaMax.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Combined with one of my Milt Sparks belts (or any other high quality gun belt) it makes my Wilson Combat CQB Compact a breeze to carry and conceal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the info ya'll.  i will look into the milt sparks products.  i like the paddle holster idea for carry maybe in the winter.  IWB is best for me overall.  
DavidC - the rough edges are the safety, grip safety spur and the rowel hammer on the officers model. using a model with a shield would help.
i don't have much of a waist line even when at fighting weight and, alas, i have let myself get pudgy.  with a build like mine, i don't carry extra weight well!  instead of looking at "smoother" guns, i oughta look at slimmming my butt down!
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Kel-Tec P11 in the waist band with the belt clip or in the breast pocket of my motorcycle jacket.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:02:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Milt Sparks Versa Max-2 here, (IWB). I'm cofortable all day carrying my Springfield Compact LW.

Try wearing a "Wife Beater" t-shirt. I do and it keeps the rig from rubbing against bare skin.

Same here (Spark's Versa Max II with my Colt Commander).  And I second the recommendation to wear a t-shirt or "wifebeater" shirt underneath, it makes it easily comfortable enough to wear all day.  Using that I conceal that Commander under just an oversized, untucked Polo shirt.  Loud patterns work best. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top