Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2008 9:07:45 AM EDT
Whats the best Tatical shorts out there 511??

I wear shorts 85% of the Time here in SWFL

I was wanting some shorts maybe with pockets for spare mags etc!

I never bought any before and wanted to know what ya guys thought about the different Brands out there
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
I will keep my eye out
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the 5.11s and have several pair. I can pull an XL Tshirt on and with the shorts, I don't stand out at all.

The flashlight pocket makes an excellent place to stash another 1911 mag.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow. Tough crowd today.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Old Navy makes some great shorts for CCW.  And they blend in with the rest of the sheep.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I like the 5.11s and have several pair. I can pull an XL Tshirt on and with the shorts, I don't stand out at all.

Wich TYPE OF 511 SHORTS
TATICAL or ACADEMY

BTW THANKS
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I think they're the tactical ones. One little pocket on the front and the knee pockets. Slash pockets in the back with the little strap on the right side.

Been a while since I bought any of them. I'd never heard of the other ones until I just googled 'em.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The 511 tactical shorts are nice, it's hit or miss on fit for me.

Most of my shorts come from REI. Deep front pockets, cargo sides, elastic band with a built in cinch belt (REI brand shorts).

the Patagonia shorts from REI, are practically like 511's but no cargo side pockets. They work well for pocket carry of j-frames or small autos like my Kahr. Plus they are built like a frigging tank.  

ETA: this reminds me, I need to get new sandals to go with my tactical, sheeplefladge concealment gear.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:29:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Do I order the 551 Waist size like I would my Levi jeans
same size fit??

Im a 36inch waist But Order 38inch for IWB carry
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:53:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do I order the 551 Waist size like I would my Levi jeans
same size fit??

Im a 36inch waist But Order 38inch for IWB carry

Their Tactical shorts have some elastic in the waistband, so that might be enough for you to get by with the correct size if it is not too snug on you. I can carry my G19 IWB in mine with no problem and no need for the larger size.

THANKS
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, on the regular 5.11 pants and TDUs, I always size it up by one to accomodate IWB.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Found these 5.11 copies.  Made by Prooper.  By the fit and finish, I'd guess made in the same factory in China as 5.11.  The big difference is the rear pockets, and the lower price.

www.lapolicegear.com/tashcl.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny. I just started a thread yesterday in GD asking about BDU/emt shorts(for work since it's getting warmer) and someone posted this same link...

Quoted:
Found these 5.11 copies.  Made by Prooper.  By the fit and finish, I'd guess made in the same factory in China as 5.11.  The big difference is the rear pockets, and the lower price.

www.lapolicegear.com/tashcl.html

So, I ordered 2 pairs. They also have a bdu belt on clearance for 5.99 so I got one of those as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a WIDERNESS BELT  best belt I have bought in my LIFE
Its like 10years old and still like new
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Got my TATICAL SHORTS 511 from LA POLICE

Very nice shorts BUTT

The main reason I wanted them WAS because of the Magazine pouch on the left thigh/leg

Mine doesnt have one

But the add / TAG thats clipped to my shorts EVEN shows a Cell phone /magazine pocket??

I do have 2 pockets to hold mags but its on my Right leg

Im right handed

Im might just keep them anyway

BEFORE ANYONE ORDERS MAKE SURE YOU ASK AHEAD OF TIME
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I use Cabela's 7 pocket shorts everyday. They are available in about 8 colors and last forever. I can wear my wilderness 5 stitch belt with them, I can't do this with many shorts. I can carry my J-frame in my front pocket and there is a smaller pocket on the outside so it doesn't print. On the right leg are two smaller pockets. one has a button flap and will hold a Surefire G2 or a knife with flap buttoned. The smaller pocket will hold my E1e, but has no flap. These are great shorts!
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#20]
i have a pair of camo cargo shorts from old navy or gap that i got several years ago... they've held up REALLY well... i look like any other frat guy around...

in the summer i like to pocket carry and the left side of the shorts have two small snap pockets which are a perfect fit for compII speedloaders loaded with gold dots...
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I really like the Carhartt cargo pants and cargo shorts.  They're exceptionally well made, fit well, have deep and strong pockets and are reasonably priced.  I found a sale on them about a year ago and bought a half dozen pairs of the shorts for $18 each and a half dozen pairs of the pants for $23 each.  Normally the shorts are around $25 and the pants around $40.
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
FMJ, I'm sorry they didn't come through like you wanted. I've never ordered the pants, I just pick them up at the local uniform shop, so I just always make sure to get them with the pocket on the left. I'm sorry that I didn't think to warn you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
FMJ, I'm sorry they didn't come through like you wanted. I've never ordered the pants, I just pick them up at the local uniform shop, so I just always make sure to get them with the pocket on the left. I'm sorry that I didn't think to warn you.

Dont be sorry

I kept them anyway

Also for the OTHERS

The Shorts Fit 3 INCHES ABOVE THE KNEE

Like the old days in the 70`s  Yes I wore shory shorts back then

I would like them at KNEE LEVEL or just below
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wich TYPE OF 511 SHORTS
TATICAL or ACADEMY

BTW THANKS

I only wear the Academy shorts, I like the shorter inseam as I think the longer knee length ones look goofy. Just personal pref
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont be sorry

I kept them anyway

Also for the OTHERS

The Shorts Fit 3 INCHES ABOVE THE KNEE

Like the old days in the 70`s  Yes I wore shory shorts back then

I would like them at KNEE LEVEL or just below

WHAT?! No thanks! Knees should always be covered. My hatch knee pads will hang out otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the woolrich elite shorts.  Can't really complain the pocket design works out great for anything.  Cell phone, flashlight, magazine all work great.  Hell even a 30rd AR stuffs in there, doesn't close of course.  

I have a pair of 5.11 pants I bought on clearance, so I assume their shorts would be pretty good too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 5:01:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I have the woolrich elite shorts.  Can't really complain the pocket design works out great for anything.  Cell phone, flashlight, magazine all work great.  Hell even a 30rd AR stuffs in there, doesn't close of course.  

I have a pair of 5.11 pants I bought on clearance, so I assume their shorts would be pretty good too.

THey are well made

I wish they are longer past the knee a bit

I like the STRAP on the back

One could put on a USGI 3 MAG holder or whatever you want to clip on it
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wich TYPE OF 511 SHORTS
TATICAL or ACADEMY

BTW THANKS

I only wear the Academy shorts, I like the shorter inseam as I think the longer knee length ones look goofy. Just personal pref

I might try those
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#30]
FOUND a Nice pair of shorts
Way better than 551

WRANGLER Utility

FITS AT THE KNEE

Has just what Im looking for

I can carry my Defender E2 LED.Mags.Phone etc!
cost me 14.88

I like the smaller pockets Unlike my Cargo type
wich my stuff gets bang around
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought three different brands recently.  5.11, Woolrich and Tru-Spec.  I got them all from Midway.  I like the Woolrich the most, followed by the 5.11 and lastly the Tru-Spec.  I liked the Woolrich so much I ordered a few more in different colors and they are pretty much all I wear now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I bought three different brands recently.  5.11, Woolrich and Tru-Spec.  I got them all from Midway.  I like the Woolrich the most, followed by the 5.11 and lastly the Tru-Spec.  I liked the Woolrich so much I ordered a few more in different colors and they are pretty much all I wear now.

I wear mostly the 5.11 Academy but I've got a pair or two of the Tactical.  Can you tell me why you like the Woolrich better?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#33]
woolrich makes some nice shorts.

Cabela's 7 Pocket Hiker Shorts
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wear mostly the 5.11 Academy but I've got a pair or two of the Tactical.  Can you tell me why you like the Woolrich better?

For reference the shorts I have are:
5.11 PN: 73285
Woolrich PN: 4905

The things I like more about the Woolrich Elite Shorts are:
-The lack of the strap on the right rear pocket.  I don't use it for anything and it just gets in the way for me.
-"utility" pocket on both the left and the right sides.  5.11 only has left pocket.
-"utility" pocket is just large enough for a light and either a single double stack mag or two single stack mags; the pocket is just the right size to hold the mags in place while allowing quick access.  The 5.11 pocket isn't big enough. I can stuff a light and a mag into it, but it is too tight to allow quick access to the spare mag.
-They have regular sized belt loops instead of the extra wide ones on the 5.11 shorts.  I haven't noticed any functional advantage to the wider loops but I do find them to somewhat limit holster positioning.
-Two "hidden" rear pockets.  Making 3 more pockets than the 5.11 shorts.
-They seem slightly longer and looser than the 5.11 shorts which make them more comfy on me.  They are all the same waste size and the 5.11 shorts I have are the ones with the slightly longer inseam (9"??).
-Another thing I just noticed is the lack of the "5.11" label. Not a big deal but why advertise tactical?

Complaint about both is they are made in China (WR) and Hong Kong (511).  I'd gladly pay a little more to have them made in a free country.

Woolrich
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I forgot to mention that the opening on the front "regular" pockets is larger on the WR shorts.  I carry in my front right pocket a lot (J frame or PM9) so the tighter pocket on the 5.11 shorts hinders my draw a little bit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top