Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2003 8:17:38 PM EDT

This week I went to visit The Johnson Space Center (NASA) here in Texas.  Now sense this is a government facility I am not allowed to carry my gun.  But just for grins I did carry my extra large fanny pack that normally houses my 5" 1911.  

I left the gun in the car and I put a camera in the holster part of the fanny pack. I also put in a knife large enough to set off metal detectors in one of the pockets.  Once I got up to the museum part I was met by security who were searching all bags and purses.  

So when I came to my turn I simply refused to remove the fanny pack and only let them look in the smaller front pockets of the pack.  And too my surprise, they complied and let me in.  They did not find the knife nor did they find my camera in the holster. It went pretty smoothly.

After a couple at hours at the museum, I then decided to take the tram ride to visit the astronauts training center, the hanger where they keep the X planes, and Mission Control.  At this point I was excited because the security would be much tighter.  This time I would have to go threw more security check points and airport style metal detectors.  

But get this, when I got to the metal detector, the officer told me to remove my extra larger fanny pack and set it on the table next to the detector.  Not wanting to get arrested I complied, and they walked threw the detector without incident.  No one looked threw my fanny pack while it sat on the table or even touched it.  I just picked it up and went on my way.  

All in all, it was a nice incident free, fun trip.  So I have conclude 3 things from this trip.  One, I am luckier than I think I am. Two fanny packs don’t always make people think you are packing a piece. And Three; from a hyper security point of view, things are finally starting to go back to normal.

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Why'd you risk possible detainment, possible confiscation of your knife, and or possibly going down town for questioning?
Are there signs posted about no weapons? If so, even if security didn't discover your tool, that is an arrestible offense that could lead to the confiscation of your CCW.
That's like trying to get a weapon on a plane just to see if you could.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Very, very dumb idea. Security is NEVER a thing to "toy" with.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#3]
NASA is a National Security concern.  Very, very, very stupid to try to eff with them.  Next thing, you'll be takin' your trousers off and claiming the security officer told you to.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Not only was it stupid to try this, but it's even dumber to get on a forum and tell every Tom, Dick and Harry how easy it would be to do.  I'm sorry that you think this was a cool thing to do.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The NASA tours just aren't the same since 911. It is not nearly as cool. Can't get close to anything to look at hardly except the static displays.

I remember the historical tour, we went inside the launch control room for the Mercury program. None of that now...

Bob

No, I did not screw with security, bad idea.

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Why didnt you just say you had a grenade in there to see their reaction?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
You know, there are easier ways to get arrested.  You might try Lumpy's idea but if you really want to make sure you get to spend quality time with your new cellmate, try it in an airport.  Better luck next time.

By the way, stupid experiment.  In no way, shape, or form do I approve of your little stunt.  Juvenile and dangerous.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Try that in an airport next time for some real giggles! I am sure that you and the head of security will have a nice long laugh!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd delete my post if I were you.

AND, hope nobody remebers your 12th post was so stupid.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
It's already been pointed out, but that was really, really dumb.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Ummm...........are you borderline retarded or something?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#12]

I need to make a couple of things clear.

First of all, I was not doing anything illegal, nor did I imply that I did.

Second, it is legal to carry a pocketknife to NASA, so all the analogies to bring a knife onto an airplane don’t apply here.  

Third, a320az thanks for the correction.  You are probably right but it does sound hypocritical coming from a person with “Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them” at the end of your post.

Forth, kpel308, I have no idea what you are implying, but if it’s a proposition, no thanks.

And last Rickyj, why don’t you show us that you are not  “borderline retarded” by writing something intelligent rather than jumping on the name calling bandwagon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:56:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And last Rickyj, why don’t you show us that you are not  “borderline retarded” by writing something intelligent rather than jumping on the name calling bandwagon.

alls risgt ize trie do pud a stentance tgother.

What were you trying to prove? What were you going to accomplish by carrying a knife into NASA?

And here is the one I have a real hard time understanding: if it is legal to carry a pocketknife into NASA then why were you so excited about getting one in? Why were you "luckier than I think I am"? It's like bragging that you walked on the sidewalk.

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Third, a320az thanks for the correction.  You are probably right but it does sound hypocritical coming from a person with “Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them” at the end of your post.

Dont knock my sig line just cause you havent found one yet!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#15]
It hurts to admit a mistake, but when the mistake is BIG enough, the pain only last a second.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top