Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2007 10:47:48 AM EDT
I applied for my permit 44 days ago, it hasnt show up and I was reviewing the wording on the .gov website.  It says it will be issued (if its going to be) in 45 days.  Business days or actual days?  Because if its business days I still have a few more days to go.  The other thing I noticed is that if it takes longer they will send out a temp CCW, but they will send that on day 45 which means I wont get it till a few days later correct?

Is it business days?  If they have to send two items, one for continuation/temp CCW and another for the actual CCW, will they need me to get them another envelope?  

Edit: How long did it take for the other VA guys to get theirs?

I hate waiting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]

My original permit was before shall-issue was instituted in 1995, so everything for me under the current law has been a renewal.  That said, it's typically taken a few weeks.  However, I believe it varies greatly with locality.

Recommend you call your local clerk of court's office and ask about timelines.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My original permit was before shall-issue was instituted in 1995, so everything for me under the current law has been a renewal.  That said, it's typically taken a few weeks.  However, I believe it varies greatly with locality.

I can call them and ask about where my current application process is?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Took me 10 days (including weekends).
What county/city?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Took me 10 days (including weekends).
What county/city?

Fairfax, Fairfax.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can call them and ask about where my current application process is?

I don't know if you'll get any info, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Another option is posting in the VA hometown forum here, with a title like "Fairfax CHP question."  That should attract the attention of those who have been thru the wait in Fairfax.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the info you need.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

Take that paperwork there on day 46 and get it notarized by them and it becomes your "Permit" until it finally reaches you. They'll be able to tell you if it was denied too.

My permit took 36 days after I subitted for it. That included 5 days for the USPS to get the letter across town to me!

My wife is applying for hers son as well. We'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here's the info you need.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

Take that paperwork there on day 46 and get it notarized by them and it becomes your "Permit" until it finally reaches you. They'll be able to tell you if it was denied too.

My permit took 36 days after I subitted for it. That included 5 days for the USPS to get the letter across town to me!

My wife is applying for hers son as well. We'll see how that goes.

Take "that" paper work, do you mean the link you posted?  Or my receipt?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My permit renewal took about 3 weeks in Loudoun, but I have a buddy who is working on 5 weeks for his and he's in FFX.  Not sure why, but they seem to be slow right now.  I wouldn't assume there is a problem, just follow the procedure as mentioned above (and you should, just to hold the county to the timeline they are bound by.)

And yeah, waiting sux.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#9]
OH, and in regards to "what paperwork", here's the process, from the link mentioned above...

If Your Application is Not Complete within 45 Days

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified. If the applicant is found to be disqualified after the de facto permit is issued, the applicant shall surrender the de facto permit to the court and the disqualification shall be deemed a denial of the permit and a revocation of the de facto permit. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks! You beat me to it!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks! You beat me to it!

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone!  I will have that printed out and on hand tomorrow when I go in.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I have been approved.  I stopped by today at the Fairfax County Courthouse to check on it and get a certified copy for myself so I could start carrying.  Found out a couple of things.  

One, I was approved on the 20th  

Two, don't go at lunch since that is when the lady who deals with the paper work is out and you cant get a copy of what you need then.  I only had time over lunch to go and so it will have to wait.  I guess it should have been here by now but perhaps next week.  I will wait some more...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#14]
your problem is you're dealing with fairfax co idiots. there are a few localities that are bad about getting CCW's out in a timely manner. a buddy of mine had a problem getting his in albemarle co because of the commies out there. just keep hassling them and you'll eventually get it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife applied for hers today!
Begin the countdown.......
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
took me 2 weeks including the weekend.
Newport News City CCW.

Love the VA Gun laws
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Just came in the mail today.  11 days to travel 1.2 miles...  

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just came in the mail today.  11 days to travel 1.2 miles...  

Don't you just love the USPS.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Got mine in 10 days total with a holiday weekend in the middle. Virginia Beach aint perfect but they rock IRT CCW and NFA signoffs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Got mine in 10 days total with a holiday weekend in the middle. Virginia Beach aint perfect but the rock IRT CCW and NFA signoffs.

Holy crap, it took longer for the approval to get to me after it was finally approved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top