Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 8:23:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#1]
You could tell the business owners that it would be a robber detterent because the criminals would be scared of getting shot by a customer!  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I am assuming a private business can decide for themselves if they allow guns. The business is private property, unless the state law has power over property owners. In GA it is up to the business owner. I think most gun shop owners put the no gun sign up out of ego and them trying to maintain a power structure over the public, but I would bet that many or most all gun shop owners are against "Gun Free Zones"..... A paradox.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
At oh-so-many of the local businesses, I see signs given out by the local PD that state "no weapons allowed".

I think I would be working politically to stop the local PD from subverting the spirit of the law and infringing on the rights of the local citizens.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like an idea.  I've actually only seen a no weapons sign once, and I walked right past it and went in anyway.  They hold no legal weight here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
MO is a very strange state.  All of the off-limits places are irrelevant if you have a CCW.  Don't see that too often.

Section 571.107

(15) Any private property whose owner has posted the premises as being off-limits to concealed firearms by means of one or more signs displayed in a conspicuous place of a minimum size of eleven inches by fourteen inches with the writing thereon in letters of not less than one inch. The owner, business or commercial lessee, manager of a private business enterprise, or any other organization, entity, or person may prohibit persons holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying concealed firearms on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the employer, holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying concealed firearms on the property of the employer. If the building or the premises are open to the public, the employer of the business enterprise shall post signs on or about the premises if carrying a concealed firearm is prohibited. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. An employer may prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying a concealed firearm in vehicles owned by the employer;

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section  by any individual who holds a** concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises.

www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM

Remember guys signs do hold weight in some states.  Just not for the OP in MO
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
We have a local pizza shop here that has a "Concealed weapons are welcome here" sign in their front window.
Outstanding!!
None of the other pizza joints have a sign either way but I still only order from them, and I made sure I told them why.
(Of course it dosen't hurt that they make a pretty good pie )
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am assuming a private business can decide for themselves if they allow guns. The business is private property, unless the state law has power over property owners. In GA it is up to the business owner. I think most gun shop owners put the no gun sign up out of ego and them trying to maintain a power structure over the public, but I would bet that many or most all gun shop owners are against "Gun Free Zones"..... A paradox.
In Georgia, a "no guns" sign means absolutly nothing.

If you get discovered, they can ask you to leave, but you can carry whereever you want, provided that the law allows it.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have heard of these signs a lot on this forum. I live in the Boise Idaho area and never in my life anywhere in this state have I ever seen a "no weapons" signs...... kind of strange.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Out here in the PRC, there are some places that do not allow even off-duty cops being armed in their places of business.

A business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone. If they object to you carrying at their establishment, they can deny you entry into their place of business (private property). If you refuse to leave, they can have you arrested for trespassing.

The only time this is really enforced is at venues where you are subject to search, such as Dodger Stadium and Staples Center.

My first trip to Staples Center was a shock for me. They have metal detectors, which I thought was no big deal, since I had been searched at the Forum before, but allowed to carry when I showed my badge. However, Staples Center (which is Downtown Los Angeles) will not allow off-duty LEO's, or anyone else for that matter, to carry a weapon on the premesis.

I had to walk back to where I had parked my car in the 'hood and secure my firearm in my vehicle.

It's a ridiculous rule, especially since 9-11 (for places like Dodger Stadium and Staples Center). But if that's how they run things, you don't have a choice. There was a bill that failed a few years ago about this very issue. The state senate and assembly sided with individual property rights.  

I can understand both sides of the issue. If I own a particular property, I should be able to decide my own policies on such matters. On the other hand, it makes it hard for people on the premesis to protect themselves while they are there.

Dodger Stadium had a shooting in the parking lot after a game a couple of years ago. Ooops! Sorry pal, I have to run a mile to my car before I can help you...hinking.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top