Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2003 8:09:17 PM EDT
I do a lot of drive travel through the midwest and I have a CCW for Michigan. I have gone to Packing.org to get the details on CCW reciprocity in other states, but the system they use resident v nonresident, red, green, etc. is all very confusing. Does any one have better information on which state allows visitors to carry?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Get in contact with whatever department issues them in Michigan and they should be able to tell you. I wouldn't trust a website for that kind of information unless there's a .gov in the url.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Tkoz,

Kentucky wil recognize Michigan.

http://www.kc3.com/reciprocity_news.htm

De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get in contact with whatever department issues them in Michigan and they should be able to tell you. I wouldn't trust a website for that kind of information unless there's a .gov in the url.

In some cases, I'd actually trust packing.org before state.gov sites.  I've found the information to be more up to date on packing.org.  In fact, packing.org had the new application process for my state online before the state had updated its site.  That being said, always double check with local LE if you don't know the laws.  

If you are a MI resident (according to packing.org) you can carry in the following states:  Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota,  Pennyslvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming.  If you are not a resident of MI, but have been issued a CCW, remove Florida, New Hampshire and North Dakota from the list.  

If you want to research each state's individual laws, I'd suggest that as some state's require you to inform LE when you have a CCW or if you are carrying.  Go to:  www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/michigan and scroll to the bottom where it lists each state that honors your permit.  Next to each state is a link (cut and paste it into your browser) which should give pertinent information re: CCW in that state.  Also, if you create a userid and login, you can mail the "state admin" who can answer questions about your specific state's laws.  Most state's have an admin on their respective page at packing.org.

Your mileage may vary, but I've had good luck using packing.org as a resource.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks yellobelli,

I'll check it out again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If you only use it in a defensive instance, most juristictions will drop any possible charges and the worst that will happen, assuming that you are on the right grounds, is a fine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you only use it in a defensive instance, most juristictions will drop any possible charges and the worst that will happen, assuming that you are on the right grounds, is a fine.

Even if I were inclined to rely on this, it is only valid if LE finds out about your concealed weapon AFTER a legitimate shoot.  In some states, CT/RI/MA are a few that I know of around me, possession of a concealed handgun is a no-no which would result in forfeiture of the weapon.  In my twisted opinion, far better to legally carry than not.  For those states that doesn't recognize your state's CCW, there are several that will issue non-resident CCW's (TX and FL come to mind) to help .
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.mcrgo.org/site/view/default_b.asp?articleid=30&zoneid=7

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_4654-10957--,00.html

(I don't endorse, nor would I trust any of this information 'til I confirmed all of it with each other state)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top