Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2001 10:02:06 PM EDT
your conceled handgun to set off those detectors at the exits of stores that pick up merchandise that hasn't been paid for?  Has this happened to any of you?  I have gone through a few of them without any problem but I really don't want any of the Mall Ninja searching me for stolen goods and find my gun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:13:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so.  One time I had a new pair of jeans on though, and they had a paper tag on the inside of the pocket that would set the alarm off. When I walked into the store that alarm went wild!  I just turned right around and walked back out, no sense in getting made.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
No, they're not metal detectors in the traditional sense, so you won't set them off.  Magnetic media will though.  My access badge for work in my wallet sets some of them off.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, doesn't bother them any.  I have walked through lots of them while carrying and have never set one off.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't even think about it.  The merchandise that sets off the detectors is keyed by a radio frequency response from an attached chip or transponder.  My gun does not have these.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Texas is right, they're magnetic, not radio.  the alarms are deactivated by going over a large magnet.  thats it, my pistol has never set one off
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top