Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2003 12:57:54 AM EDT
I carry a 686 exclusively up here in Oregon. The thing is is that 2 or 3 days out of the year it gets to a high enough temperature (100 degrees is very hot to an Oregonian) that it's uncomfortable to carry such a large weapon. I've looked at different sub'compact models and I really like the semi-auto .22 for the simple reason that it can fit in your pocket.

The question I have is; How viable is the .22lr round for self defense?
Link Posted: 2/11/2003 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
KelTec .32

The .22lr is well known as being difficult to feed/function in small pistols, in fact, it's the reason John Browning designed the .25a.c.p. I know lots of guys who use the little Beretta .22's, but the KelTech in .32 is better IMO. Still, of course, no powerhouse.
Link Posted: 2/11/2003 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The question I have is; How viable is the .22lr round for self defense?

Well, it's better than nothing and not as good as most. For hot weather, and most anytime actually, I like either my SiG 230, a Makarov or my Colt Detective Special in a pocket holster. The alloy framed SiG is the lightest at only 17 ounces and is a real joy to carry.
Link Posted: 2/12/2003 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in SC (Hot and Muggy) and I believe I am sold on the Sig P232 in the 380 cal. http://www.sauer-affen.de/eng/sindex1.html.  I've shot my  brothers and it is without a doubt the most accurate and smooth "small" carry pistol I have ever shot.

I carry my Kimber 45 in the winter but would like something lighter and easier to conceal in the summer months.  My only concern is moving down from a 45 to a 380.  However, mejor que nada.
Link Posted: 2/12/2003 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It gets pretty humid here in VA during the summers and I have no problems carrying my G27 under a T-shirt. There are plenty of larger bore pistols in small packages that you don't have to settle on a .22 IMO.
Link Posted: 2/13/2003 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Normally I carry a stainless M1911 5", during real hot and humid I might switch to my lightweight Officers.  Also carry a S&W 442 in side pocket.  Been known to carry IWB with an M9 in Kuwaits summer heat (up to 120deg) but it was the only handgun that I had availble.  Stay safe

De Oppresso Liber

Link Posted: 2/14/2003 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
shotgun,
Greetings fellow Oregonian.  The other drawback to .22LR is the reliability of the ammo can be suspect.  Plus do you truly want to bet your life on a 38 or 40 grain hollowpoint?

I believe the bozo who tried to assassinate Reagan used a .22 and even with multiple hits a nearly 75-year-old man survived the attack.  Now picture you trying to stop an urban predator whose in his mid-20s.  

Doubtless some will argue that by precisely planting their shots into the bad guys eyeball, they will stop any attack cold with their .22.  As the old saying goes, "I will wait for you here" but with a serious self-defense caliber.

Take a hard look at a hammerless revolver in 38 Spl or above for those occasional hot days.
Link Posted: 2/14/2003 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine had a 38 chiefs special and I couldn't hit the broad side of barn with it. I would have been better off chucking it at the target.

From the thoughts in this thread and from other posts, I'm leaning towards a 380 sig or the glock 26. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 2/15/2003 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A friend of mine had a 38 chiefs special and I couldn't hit the broad side of barn with it. I would have been better off chucking it at the target.

From the thoughts in this thread and from other posts, I'm leaning towards a 380 sig or the glock 26. Thanks for your input.

The J frame Smiths can be a handfull. That's why I always suggest looking at the Colt D frame guns (Detective Special, Cobra, etc) and the K framed snubbies like the 2" BBL M-19, 65 or 66.
Link Posted: 3/3/2003 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You are already carrying a revolver.  Unless you are looking for an excuse to upgrade, I would stay with a revolver.  I have a Taurus 85 .38spl that is a real tack driver.  All the controls are in the same places and work the same as my 686, only smaller.  Nothing wrong with those autos, but you seem like a wheel-man...
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 4:14:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Ditto what Paul said.  I have a j-frame bodyguard that I carry as a backup, and sometimes when I'm dressed up, and its hard to carry a bigger handgun.  I really like the j-frame for the power/size balance.  Espically when you're already used to carrying a revolver, there's a lot to be said for it.  Try borrowing a cenntinnial model, with no hammer, and see if it shoots better for you.  Good luck with whatever you decide!
dp
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I live in Houston (which feels like one of the hottest places on Earth)

I've got a SIG P232.  I've found that it's accurate, simple, and reliable.

The P232 is supposed to be based on the PPK, but with improvements.  I definitely like the SIG's 3-dot sights over the Walther PPK.
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate everyone advice and when it comes to buy, I'll look again at j frames. But, here's the dilema; It's still winter/spring and I'm getting a fat tax refund. So right now I'm concentrating on the thing I always wanted to get but never had the money for, a 1911. The CC issue is gonna be on the back burner for a few months.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Link Posted: 3/8/2003 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shotgun,
Its not like the "K" frame, but at close range it points well and is accurate. Give it another chance, and practice. Double taps take a bit of getting the hang of, with the hefty recoil of the 38+P, but with practice you can get good groups.

Link Posted: 3/9/2003 5:18:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Shotgun,

Consider the Ruger sp101 for a nice small revolver in .357....otherwise, my Kimber Ultra Carry (.45) works very well here in Texas.

Link Posted: 3/9/2003 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll give another vote for the Sig P232, I carry one & it's the nicest pistol I own. I just wish it was a .45.
Link Posted: 4/2/2003 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#16]
The smallest pistol I have is a Sig 232 as well.  It's not small enough to be a pocket gun for me though.

It is reliable, light, and simple.
Link Posted: 4/2/2003 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've shot my  brothers and it is without a doubt the most accurate and smooth "small" carry pistol I have ever shot.

How many of them did you shoot?  I have a couple of brothers that need shooting.    

Both deserve it.  An accurate smooth pistol is exactly what I need....

Link Posted: 4/11/2003 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#18]
First Id like to say, give your brothers a chance, you don't need to shoot anymore of them. And then, I carry a NAA .32 in the summer. Very light, and easy to conceal. I have a pocket, and a inside the belt holster for it, and its very reliable. Ive fired a couple of the NAA minis before, theyre not too bad. They have a belt buckle .22 revolver. I supose if the semi autos arent as reliable, thats the way to go. I think you can get a 5 round .22 long revolver for under $200.00, not 100% on that though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
i guess i am the only one here who carries a pistol grip shotgun in his pants in the summertime in az...
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I have carried my Para C7 LDA in Texas' warm 80+ degree weather this spring, and I carried a similiar sized Glock 19 or 30 all last summer and fall during the worst of the summer temperatures.  

As an aside, I no longer carry IWB, as it tended to chafe given persperation, movement, etc....  

I must confess that my NAA mini revolver is far easier and more convienient to carry in the summer, thus I almost always carry it.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Bruh44 good call...The 2-3 days it gets that hot around here a NAA Guardian .32 in a pocket holster. Otherwise its a Commander or G30...
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I carry a Beretta .32ACP Tomcat in a Kramer front pocket holster.
With Winchester Silvertips or CorBons, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of it!
It's a piece of cake to carry and is very reliable.  Very small profile in your pocket, too.  Looks just like a wallet!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:58:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Be a man and carry the Government Model 24/7/365.  Fanny Pack it on those 2 or 3 extremly hot days!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top