Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 6:51:26 PM EDT
I've been considering getting a BUG but can't decide between a subcompact 1911 and a keltec.  I've been leaning towards the 1911 since I can share a common mag but then again it's a much larger gun.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Apples and oranges.

The 1911 shoots a full power cartridge and would probably be easier to shoot well. On the other hand, the Kel-Tec is small enough to always be there if you need the BUG. You might consider something halfway between on size, or you may want to do the right thing and get both. A subcompact 9mm such as the Kahr PM9 is almost as small as the P3AT, but much more powerful and is very easy to shoot. I have the Kahr PM9 and a Kel-Tec P-32 that cover all my needs for a back up gun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you can wrap your mind around the pros & cons for both.

I carry a 4" 1911 (my reliability upgrade from my 3.5" former carry 1911)

I usually don't carry a BUG, but when I go to a high risk environment I carry the former carry 1911 as the BUG. They both operate off of the compact frame so the "officer" mags fit flush with both. Regardless, you can always stick a large 7, 8, or even 10 in a compact's chute when SHTF. That however happened to be the hand that I was dealt, and it works fine for me.

Pros: 2 manstoppers with interchangable mags

Cons: much more difficult to conceal (maybe not feasable with certain dress/seasons)

You make the call for your own circumstacnes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes, just for fun, I carry three guns: A full size 1911 on the hip, PM9 in my right front pocket, and a P3AT on my left ankle. I figure that ought to cover all the bases.

Most of the time, It's the PM9 IWB, with the Kel-Tec in the front pocket or ankle rig. Having a very light and easy to conceal BUG means a higher likelihood of carrying said BUG. Magazine interchangeability is a good thing, but always having the BUG on you is, IMO, better.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sometimes, just for fun, I carry three guns: A full size 1911 on the hip, PM9 in my right front pocket, and a P3AT on my left ankle. I figure that ought to cover all the bases.

Most of the time, It's the PM9 IWB, with the Kel-Tec in the front pocket or ankle rig. Having a very light and easy to conceal BUG means a higher likelihood of carrying said BUG. Magazine interchangeability is a good thing, but always having the BUG on you is, IMO, better.

+1

they are very different guns - for a BUG i would carry the keltec because its more of what a BUG should be to me. that and i live in florida so carrying to large guns is pushing it in cargo shorts and a t-shirt
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I occasionally carry three pistols as well, but all are point and shoot weopons that operate in a similar fashion. Glock 19 in an IWB holster, Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster, and Kel-Tec P-32 in an ankle holster.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think the last part of this post sums it up nicely, actually having the BUG is the most important thing so buy the one you will carry all of the time. I think a 1911 might be a bit big for that but some on this forum make it work well for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top