Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 12:03:49 PM EDT
Howdy all,

After walking into a store robbery a few weeks ago, I have finally been slapped in the face with reality that its not going to happen to me in my comfort zone where I have home field advantage. Fortunatly, once I realized what I was into, I called 911 on my cell phone. The assailant ran when the first patrol car stopped short in front of the store, they didn't make it very far. While this ended with no one getting hurt, and was resolved without violence, it was enough to make me realize that I was in a situation that could have turned life threatening and all I had was a swiss army knife (the blade is very shiny and unused, the bottle opener on the other hand...). I really did not like the fact that my only option was to be like the rest of the sheep and call someone else. Which in a situation where a criminal decides to start eliminating witnesses means  iwould have to wait several minutes for any kind of help that keep myself and others alive. I'm taking the course to get my CCW next saturday (1 april).

In my home I have mossberg m500 in the safe, and a S&W .357 magnum at the ready. These are a little large and impractical for concealed carry. I'm curious what you guys and gals carry for personal defense. I am 5'8" about 160lbs, left handed, I wear a medium sized golf glove(simply for size reference if anyone wants to suggest a particular model of handgun). I'm looking for something no smaller than 9mm in caliber. I partial to S&W, but suggestions have been made in favor of Khar arms, XD and Tauras PT111 millenium. All of which are very compact, the Khar was the slimmest of these so it would probably be very comfortable to wear, but I am partial to the S&W 908. It is comfortable in my hands, and seems light enough and small enough to easily carry.

I'm sure you guys get these threads pretty frequently, I'm sorry to be one more person to add to that pile. I just wanted to hear from the horse's mouth instead of from a gunstore owner whose motivation is profit instead of what is potentially the best choice for me.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm.  Well, it's been said a lot, but you need to find what's comfy for you.

For me, I've been carrying a Kahr P9 for the last 8 months.  I like it.  It's comfortable for carry and shoot, and very accurate.  I'm also fond of Sig, and will be getting my first in 2 days.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input

I love this place
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]
My first "encounter" was in rush hour gridlock about 7 years ago. Some thugged out character in a current model grand am was right in front of me. Just as cars began to move ahead he sticks his head out the window and starts jawing with another thug sitting in his "blinged out" Cutlass in the opposing lane. I was JUST about to lay on the horn when Grand Am gets out with a stainless Beretta (barrel facing downwards) and advances towards the Cutlass. Suddenly I became "very interested" in the tool box I just bought... looking it over, keeping my eyes off this nut job lest he divert his hostility at me. I was trapped like a rat. There was no backing up, no running over, nothing. All I could do was either sink to the floorboards or jump out the driver's side not 8-12 feet from him. Fortunately he made his point, whatever that was and drove off. I raced home & reported the tag. I will never forget that feeling of powerlessness and it wasn't long before I changed the variables.

I got my CCW later and sure enough, I needed it.

I am the same size as you and I carry a 4" 1911 in a IWB which works very well for me.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry either G27 or my Keltec P3AT
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks again for the advice everyone. I pick up my S&W 908 next wednesday, CCW class on Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks again for the advice everyone. I pick up my S&W 908 next wednesday, CCW class on Saturday.

Outstanding.

You can get the LE ranger 127gr +Ps from [email protected]. A fair number on the board buy from jerry, prices are excellant and service is FAST.

That's 124gr +Ps or 127gr +P+. Forgive SGB, he's a bit long in the tooth and forgets things sometimes...

Both are excellent and Jerry is a darn good guy to do business with.

Where in FL you located, ShortMike?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Outstanding.

You can get the LE ranger 127gr +Ps from [email protected]. A fair number on the board buy from jerry, prices are excellant and service is FAST.

That's 124gr +Ps or 127gr +P+. Forgive SGB, he's a bit long in the tooth and forgets things sometimes...

I'm Panama City Florida. How's bout you?

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:09:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Outstanding.

I'm Panama City Florida. How's bout you?

Tallahassee. You get over this way, give me a holler, and we'll put that S&W to use.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll definitely let you know the next time I head over that way. I'm trying to find a close range before saturday (April 1) since there are no public shooting ranges over here and I haven't found a member of a private range to make nice with. Shooting and golfing are in sort of the same exclusive circles here and  ihaven't figured out why.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I was a little late in picking it up due to some unexpected job travel. It killed me to have to wait two extra days to get my new gun.

Here it is!

Tomorrow we go to the range!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]
You've picked - now practice.

Practice firing.

Practice drawing and presenting - acquiring the front sight on the target.

Practice reading the FL CCW laws, and the FL lawful justifications for deadly force.

Practice cleaning - yes, stainless can rust, keep a light oil coat on it... and some of those levers may or may not be stainless, and you sweat on those too (and on the inside of them - pipe cleaners).

Good holster, good belt for the holster - that's a good gun belt, specifically.

IWB - 2" larger waist than you wear now.

Welcome, and congratulations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top