Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 6:41:11 AM EDT
I recently purchased Glock 19.  While I cannot carry in NJ where I live, I do visit PA a lot where it is legal to carry.  In addition, I will be taking a training course at a local PA range that enables me to get a Florida non-resident CCW permit.  My plan is to carry in PA once I have the permit, but my wife thinks I am gun crazy and does not see a need to carry.  

My wife believes since we never wander off the beaten path (center city, malls, restaurants, etc), we have no need to carry a gun.  We do not have dangerous jobs, do not carry large amounts of cash, and do not drive fancy cars; hence we have no need to carry.  Other than the annual camping trip in the mountains of PA, I could not give her a really good reason to carry.  Her concern is that carrying a gun to go shopping, eating, etc, is silly and there is no need to carry. She also keeps saying that in 20 years we have yet to have any problems, let alone a need for a gun.  I need your help to convey to my wife the importance of carrying for self-defense.  

Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Denny's.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask her why she wears a seatbelt, or pays insurance, or has a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.....

Is she doesn't do/have any of the above....then just carry anyway and tell her to STFU!

I cannot understand people who don't feel the need for self preservation.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have the gun and never need it you are very lucky. If you need the gun and don't have it you are very dead.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a lot of fun carrying.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife use to be the same way but not any more.  She asks to make sure I'm carring and is glad for it!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Better to have it and not need it, than the other way around.  Just because you haven't been robbed,assaulted, vitimized yet, does not mean you will not. Perhaps the odds are stacked against you,  since made it so safely thus far.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Luby's Cafeteria and the Tacoma, WA mall shootings are a couple instances where carrying would have come in handy. No one at those events planned on getting attacked. You can't control your destiny but you can change the outcome. It's random attacks like these that everyone should carry and be able to pull the trigger if necessary. Unfortunately in the latter attack the CCW holder who did try to stop the shooter couldn't find it in himself to shoot the kid. Luckily it didn't cost him his life.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
It's really hard to find someone for her to relate to that has first hand knowledge of what can happen when you aren't prepared to defend yourself. Most of them are dead.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask her when you're going to have your next car accident or emergency room visit.  Same idea--you can never predict when you'll need it, and you'll be glad you've got it.

Also, show her this article.

I prefer to be a sheepdog.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell her the police have no legal obligation to protect you.

Look up actual crime stats from the area and see how bad it truly is (you would be amazed provided the agencies don't try to recategorize offenses to under report). If they are being honest, you would be amazed!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Tell her it is not the odds, it is the stakes.

Seydou
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]
How I convinced my girlfriend:

Every scary movie you go see where someone is being chased around by a murderer, just mention that the movie would have ended 45 minutes ago if that person had a CCW. People put themselves in the shoes of the main character in these types of movies so that helps.  You may get some crap, rolled eyes or remarks about this, but after awhile the idea of a CCW will start to stick.

Print out your area crime statistics for 2005. I did that for my area. Your wife may watch the local news, and maybe see somthing happen every now and then. She probably assumes your  area is realatively safe. Print out the report and you'll see what really happens in your area.

www.areaconnect.com/

After all this I applied for my CCW. My girlfriend told me it was ok, but didn't see a need for me to carry all the time. Last week my girlfriend and I were standing outside of Subway as I was having an after dinner smoke. Two drunk people making alot of noise stumble into the Subway parking lot. They walk over to my car saying to eachother that it's a nice car and touching it. After a few minutes they continue on into Subway. Of  course this whole scenaro wasn't enough to warrant me pulling a gun on them, but the whole time my girlfriend was standing behind me saying how much she wished I had a gun. Right then I knew she had finally been convinced about carrying full time.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I recently purchased Glock 19.  While I cannot carry in NJ where I live, I do visit PA a lot where it is legal to carry.  In addition, I will be taking a training course at a local PA range that enables me to get a Florida non-resident CCW permit.  My plan is to carry in PA once I have the permit, but my wife thinks I am gun crazy and does not see a need to carry.  

My wife believes since we never wander off the beaten path (center city, malls, restaurants, etc), we have no need to carry a gun.  We do not have dangerous jobs, do not carry large amounts of cash, and do not drive fancy cars; hence we have no need to carry.  Other than the annual camping trip in the mountains of PA, I could not give her a really good reason to carry.  Her concern is that carrying a gun to go shopping, eating, etc, is silly and there is no need to carry. She also keeps saying that in 20 years we have yet to have any problems, let alone a need for a gun.  I need your help to convey to my wife the importance of carrying for self-defense.  

Thanks.

My wife says the same thing.  Too bad for her is my thinking.  I take HER safety seriously enough to want to be ready and able to defend her (or myself) in an EFFECTIVE manner in ANY area where it may be legally allowed.  As such, for us NJ residents our only real options are on our property, on our business property, or while in a CCW state such as PA.  As soon as my FL-CCW finally comes in I'll certainly be carrying every time I go to PA.  I'd rather be able defend myself some of the time than none of the time, so it'll have to do.  Oh, also carry pepper spray, although the legal limit in NJ is less than 3/4 oz.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Because...

ANY TIME...  ANY PLACE.

It can happen.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Seydou

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Seydou

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thanks.

These are exactly the places I am most nervous about. I'm constantly reminding my wife that just because I'm with her doesn't mean she can stop looking around herself, into the car next to ours before approaching ours/getting into it, etc. The places you think are the safest are probably the most unsafe since they are the places that you led your guard down in. I keep a gun within arms reach 24/7, not because I'm a psychotic paranoid but becasue I know that bad things happen to good people all the time. When you need a gun you usually need it right now, not 2 minutes from now after you get it out of the safe and load it.

I'm somewhat one of the lucky ones. My wife carries all the time. Ask your wife how she feels about rape? I know how mine feels about it. It colored our relationship almost daily for the first 6 or 7 years we were together. Still affects her now and then.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Denny's.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Let your wife spend a few hours reading some of the threads on here and when she's done inform  her that the majority of the people here carry guns....

She'll probably buy you a new pistol and give you an unlimited ammo budget
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#23]
For shitbags such as this.

www.highdesert.com/gallery/7-11-video.wmv
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#24]
BECAUSE-YOU-CAN!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sure you'll find a couple of reasons listed in here...

Stories of Self Defense

Also...

Private Firearms 'Almost Certainly' Save 400,000 Lives Per Year
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Denny's.

whats so funny?

bt/w a rash of denny's shootouts and killings in S CA the last few yrs; then the 91 massacre at a luby's.....carrying in a restuarant is as logical as anywhere else

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=446657
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#27]
She also keeps saying that in 20 years we have yet to have any problems, let alone a need for a gun. I need your help to convey to my wife the importance of carrying for self-defense.

Has she taken into account that you probably were not as affluent 20 years ago as you are now? That, 20 years older, you may be less physically fit than you were then? Both of these make you more likely targets now than you were before.

Do you both understand the youth culture now as well as you did then? There are HUGE differences between now and then! I believe that much of the youth culture has been desensitized, brainwashed if you will, into a state where it's far easier to victimize others.

Finally... tell here that each day/week/month/year that goes by without being victimized, brings you AND HER closer to the day that you WILL be victimized.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I always carry because twenty years ago I chased a guy with a piece of steel pipe who had just taken several shots at me with what turned out to be a 25 cal auto. I was young and dumb and you know the saying. I'm much older and wiser now and always armed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#29]
It is my duty to protect my family.  I take that duty seriously.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top