Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 8:27:09 AM EDT
Open carry...NOT concealed.  Please read Overland Park PDs response to my question about OPEN Carry of a firearm...

Mr. David *******

There is no specific Overland Park Ordinance that prohibits a person from having a firearm in plain view.  But in our city you could expect to have citizens call the police regarding a person who would have a firearm in plain view.

It would also be expected that the responding police officers would take this type of call for service most seriously and would respond according to their training and the totality of the circumstances.  It is likely that a ordinance violation of Disorderly Conduct would be applied to the person with the weapon due to the fact it would meet the standards for the Disorderly Conduct Ordinance and again depending on the totality of the circumstances.

Thank you for asking the question

Jim Weaver
Police Administration
913-327-6937
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice honest and straightforward answer!

For those that don't know, Overland Park is a suburb of the Kansas City, KN/MO metro complex.

It is not some little town and you can drive anywhere from 10 to 25 miles without ever reaching the country!!!

When I was a teenager, country started after 103rd Street. Now it extend south by another 50 blocks!

In any case we all have our fingers crossed that a Shall Issue CCW law will be passed this session.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, OP is the second largest city in the state of KS with a population of 167,000.  I don't believe this has ANY bearing whatsoever when it comes to open carry.  As far as I'm concerned this is a very diplomatic answer.  They are saying; Open carry isn't illegal, but don't do it, or else.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If the DOC charge is that vague that it prohibits you from exercising your Constitutional rights, it will be tossed as too vague.

Abuse of a law will get the law removed or have such bad case law that it can't be used for much.

If they want to try that, everytime a liberal opens there mouth, it annoys me, causes a scene, and meet the DOC definition!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top