Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 10:04:53 PM EDT
I'm just wondering how you guys carry in the vehicle.  Do you carry on person or some other place in the vehicle?  I tried carrying on my person while driving but it was just too uncomfortable, especially on long drives.  Do you guys find that also to be true?  Anyone have a hoster set up in their vehicle?  Suggestions and pictures would be great if you have them.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have done many 10 hour drives carrying on my person with my USPc .40 in my VMII. Most the time I forget it is there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never had any problems carrying while driving. If you have an issue with comfort maybe you should try a shoulder rig.  I wear a mitch rosen shoulder rig along with a sparks vm2 all the time.  I drive quiet a bit and always have my 2 glock 19's with me
Remember that carrying is supposed to be comforting not always comfortable.
Also i would never suggest off the body carry since you never know whne you might have to exit your vechicle in a hurry.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree completely with TomJefferson.

The techniques for drawing from IWB while in a seat belt are all compromises.  I put it in my center console.  Often I'll have one in my center console and one on my person.

I also have a couple of holsters that mount at various locations in the vehicle, out of sight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have heard of people that have some type of holster set up under the dash or something of the like.  I don't know how safe or feasible this is, anyone do this, think its ok, have any ideas about, anything like that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have heard of people that have some type of holster set up under the dash or something of the like.  I don't know how safe or feasible this is, anyone do this, think its ok, have any ideas about, anything like that?

I used to have one mounted to the front of my seat, where it was out of sight because the cushion sticks out over it.  Works fine.

smartcarry sells the ace car holster...he doesn't make them but sells them.  They're velcro and come with highly adhesive velcro pads that you can put anywhere in your car and stick the holster to.

There's also a fobus rig you can mount with screws if you can find the right spot, and there's the kingston car seat  holster as well.

I've tried lots of techniques.  In my current vehicle, the center console makes the most sense.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Having to carry one for 12 hours at a time is a pain and even more so to deploy from the driver position. I'm a big guy and things tend to be a bit cramped. In this case I keep a backup in an easy to reach place in case a traffic stop goes very bad. Off duty, I usualy have no problems though. No "batman" utility belt or bulky body armor in the way.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll have to check out those holsters.  I don't think my console will really fit my .45 with all of the other crap I keep in there.  I like the idea of putting the velcro under the dash, and I think I could put it in a place were it wasn't visable.  That would sure beat having it in the glove box or having the awkward draw with the seat belt.  If anyone has pictures of these types of holsters in use I wouldn't mind seeing them.  Thanks a lot for the info.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I usually can carry mine one me in a belt or IWB hoster at 3 o'clock.  I also have a pancake holster that works well for my stick shift car and fits right next to the emergency brake handle and in my truck I can put it between my center council and the seat  bottom or under the center council it's self.

My friend likes a shoulder holster pointing down.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm just wondering how you guys carry in the vehicle.  Do you carry on person or some other place in the vehicle?  I tried carrying on my person while driving but it was just too uncomfortable, especially on long drives.  Do you guys find that also to be true?  Anyone have a hoster set up in their vehicle?  Suggestions and pictures would be great if you have them.  Thanks!

I have a cheap Uncle Mikes holster rigged up in my F-150 between the drivers seat and the bench seat right in front of seat belt latch. I highly doubt anyone will try to jump on your vehicle at 70 miles and hour and try to get in so to me carrying on your person while traveling is pointless, only unless its stop and go traffic its at me 3 o'clock and yes it is uncomfortable but it is comforting. Plus keep your doors locked.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have a cheap Uncle Mikes holster rigged up in my F-150 between the drivers seat and the bench seat right in front of seat belt latch. I highly doubt anyone will try to jump on your vehicle at 70 miles and hour and try to get in so to me carrying on your person while traveling is pointless, only unless its stop and go traffic its at me 3 o'clock and yes it is uncomfortable but it is comforting. Plus keep your doors locked.

Didn't you just say in another thread that you only just got your CHL today?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't you just say in another thread that you only just got your CHL today?  

ha. no i've had it in for about three weeks now. i looked in "My Topics" and went through and commented on some of the old ones. But i'll be straight honest i've carried for over a year now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#14]
If I am a passenger, I leave both weapons on. It is much easier to draw when the steering wheel is not in your lap. When I am driving, my primary weapon is tucked between my seat and the console, but I leave my BUG in the ankle holster.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I carry my primary on my person in a IWB belt holster and my spare under my right leg while driving. If the primary gets uncomfortable then I'll just set it between the seat and console.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got an '03 Tundra that has an indented tray over the transmission hump.  Either my S&W 65 or SIG P229 just fit in the tray.  The gun is fairly secure and very accessible to me.  I keep a towel handy to cover the gun while going through a drive thru or toll booth.  When I get out or if I get pulled over, I put the gun in the console.  I live in Louisiana where having a loaded handgun in your vehicle is not illegal.   In my wife's SUV, I will put my handgun in the driver's side door map pocket.  There is a small locking drawer under the passenger seat that I put the gun in when we get out.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ha. no i've had it in for about three weeks now. i looked in "My Topics" and went through and commented on some of the old ones. But i'll be straight honest i've carried for over a year now.

How mature of you, risking your CHL eligibility like that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been told by a local law enforcement officer here that even if you have a CCW then you cannot stor a weapon in the center console or glovebox. It MUST be on your person. If you don't have a CCW it must be unloaded, and in its case, in a place where the driver cannot reach it
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've been told by a local law enforcement officer here that even if you have a CCW then you cannot stor a weapon in the center console or glovebox. It MUST be on your person. If you don't have a CCW it must be unloaded, and in its case, in a place where the driver cannot reach it

Colorado is a bit different, without a CCW you can have it in your car as long as it's not concealed and the chamber is empty. Right now I keep mine on the passenger seat. My car is small, I can open the passenger door while sitting in the driver seat. With a CCW I believe you can have it in the center console or glovebox if you want.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colorado is a bit different, without a CCW you can have it in your car as long as it's not concealed and the chamber is empty. Right now I keep mine on the passenger seat. My car is small, I can open the passenger door while sitting in the driver seat. With a CCW I believe you can have it in the center console or glovebox if you want.

I think in Colorado even if you don't have a CCW you can have it concealed in the car.  I can't remember back to my CCW class, but I'm pretty sure I remember discussing that in that course and the instructors said in Colorado anyone that can legally be in posession of a handgun can have it concealed in their car.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Zach
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I always carry on me in case I get thrown from the vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sucks. In Kentucky, you can carry a loaded weapon in the glove box even without a CCDW permit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Its been said, but ill say it again. If your weapon isnt on your person its not with you. If you have to jump out of the car etc, you no longer have access to your firearm.

My opinion about holster options for your car is that it should be within arms length so that you arnt leaning over to draw the weapon. That way the BG doesnt suspect your reaching for something. If its outside an arms length i think its not useful.

My suggestion: find a good place for a weapon in your car and have a second dedicated weapon for it. Also, always keep a firearm on your person so that if the sh*t hits the fan you have your weapon.

Drawing from IWB with a seat belt sucks, which is why i suggest two firearms. If you only can carry one weapon - carry it IWB.

just my .02
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I am not big on shoulder holsters but when I know I am going to spend all day in the car I will wear one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Drawing from IWB with a seat belt sucks, which is why i suggest two firearms. If you only can carry one weapon - carry it IWB.

That's precisely what I do.  I have a dedicated "truck pistol" that I leave in my console and I carry my usual piece IWB.

However, if I have to carry just one I'd rather have it reachable while I'm driving than IWB.  In most scenarios I can grab my gun from my console and holster it before exiting my rig, and I've had enough close calls while in my vehicle to be glad that I have a weapon within easy reach while sitting and seat belted.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an old pickup w/a bench seat. Leather pocket sewn on front of bench seat. Loose fitting seat cover hides the gun very well. I also have a vest and light jacket that both have thin home made leather holsters sewn inside. I usually just wear the vest or the jacket. All three will hold a full size double stack 1911 style pistol. Except for the slightly noticable (to me)increase in weight on one side, I hardly notice the difference. Sometimes I have all three along for the ride.When my wife sees me with that many guns, she just figures I'm being a gentleman and carrying hers alos!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think in Colorado even if you don't have a CCW you can have it concealed in the car.  I can't remember back to my CCW class, but I'm pretty sure I remember discussing that in that course and the instructors said in Colorado anyone that can legally be in posession of a handgun can have it concealed in their car.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Zach

This is correct.  It is one of the exceptions to the concealed carry laws, in Colorado anyways.

As far as in a vehicle, I leave my carry gun on my hip and have another one in the car.  I  had a piece of velcro sewn onto a cheap Uncle Mikes holster and then stuck a piece of velcro onto the underside of my truck's dash.  It is very accessible and very discrete.  When I leave the vehicle for any length of time, the gun is locked up in the console.

HTH

Seydou
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top