Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 8:22:58 AM EDT
Well for starters, I cannot get a CCW (yet), so carrying concealed is out of the question, so my only option is open-carry (which is legal if you own a handgun in LA).  So I open carry as often as possible.  The issue I have run into is my girlfriend won't go with me ANYWHERE whenever I carry.  And leaving her isn't an option.  Any advice on how to get through to her that this isn't a "Me thinking I'm better" thing, and for actual protection?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
While open carry is legal in LA, it is not practiced much outside of certain situations and localities, and certainly will attract some unwanted attention, both legal and otherwise.  What do you like more, the girl or wandering around doing something that most of society disagrees with?  Sounds like your girlfriend has her head on pretty straight.  You I might wonder about, given the fact that you say you cannot qualify for the LA CHL.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm only 20...it is legal for me to own a handgun, but I cannot get a CHL until 21.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
As far as open carry, yes it is legal.  However, the rule of thumb on this issue is where a "reasonable" person would deem in proper.  Who is to say what is reasonable?  At the range, fine.
In a hunting situation, yes.  But, dont go walking in the mall with a .45 strapped to your hip.  You are going to attract alot of unwanted attention, and lose your girlfriend.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out Open Carry Not sure of the specifics of LA law so can't comment there, but having responsible gun owners open carry where legal is a good thing to get the stigma off firearms. There are tactical reasons why it may not always be a good idea, but I feel it is better to be armed than unarmed...

Oh BTW if she is that freaked out loose her now find a chich who supports guns. Yes it can be a major source of happieness or contention in a relationship. You descision should NOT affect her. It is YOUR desicion, be a man about it. Tell HER you will be armed where legal and if she wants to accompany YOU then she is welcome to. But don't roll over in this.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Is she going to be any different once it's concealed? Not likely. And why is dumping her not an option, is this an arranged marriage?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Is your girlfriend afraid of guns or is she maybe embarassed by the fact that you are walking around with a gun strapped on your hip.  My wife is very supportive of my right to carry concealed, but I'm pretty sure that she would freak if I walked out of the house with my Sig hanging out for the whole world to see.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya know I didn't even think to ask if she would still freak if it was concealed.  I think what I will just end up doing is not letting her know when I carry once I get a CCW Permit.  Then she will have no reason to freak on me.

And the reason I don't want to break up with her is because we have been together for a while, I am in love with her, and the gun issue just came up.  Her being upset at me open carrying is not going to be enough to cause me to leave her.  But me being with her is not going to cause me to not have a weapon on me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 I think what I will just end up doing is not letting her know when I carry once I get a CCW Permit.

Great way to maintain a healthy relationship.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#9]
My ex-wife thought i was stupid for carrying concealed all the time, til we stayed in Houston for a weekend.She finally decided to learn how to shoot after that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I think what I will just end up doing is not letting her know when I carry once I get a CCW Permit.

Great way to maintain a healthy relationship.

Hey, the way I see it if they're not married it's none of her biz!

Of course, you'll have to find a real creative place to carry where she's not gonna discover it.  IWB will be discovered with a hug.  SmartCarry's definitely out!

Dude, you're 20.  Just wait a year and get your CHL.  Until then you are a sheep, live with it.

ETA: You know, I'm glad folks your age think about self preservation, really.  But some of the posts from the 18-20 year old crowd about carrying make me question ya'lls maturity.

Oh, and also -- your GF doesn't like guns.  That's going to be a problem.  I think you already knew that.

ETA: To clarify my point about maturity -- one poster said that the open carry law has a major caveat to it, which might make this illegal given the right jury.

Now, I don't know LA law, but I'm guessing if you go around carrying like that you have the potential to get hit with a few convictions that could mess up your ability to get your CHL in the future.  I know that would happen here in TX.  Do you want to take that risk?  There are other issues with open carry as well but they're not relevant to this discussion.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Agree with above.  Don't be a mall Rambo it's not worth it.  Just save up money and try to familiarize gun with your GF.  But don't give in to her pressure either.  What would Jesus do?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#12]
you might have to leave it in your car and make smarter, safer choices about where you are going until you make 21.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm only 20...it is legal for me to own a handgun, but I cannot get a CHL until 21.

I though federal law is 21 for pistols and pistol ammo.
Last time I checked states can't pass laws that lower age restrictions set by the FED.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#14]
My advice is wait until you're 21 and get your permit. Open carry may be legal, but you're asking for a world of trouble. You make yourself a target automatically if a situation goes down. Bad guy sees the guy with the gun, who do you think he targets first? While legal, as an LEO you will get my attention when I see you walking around the mall etc. with a firearm on your hip. Like it or not you will create a disturbance with many people. You don't have to like that fact, quite frankly I really don't either, but it is a fact none the less. As for your girlfriend, try and explain your reasons for going armed. She may understand, she may not. My wife asks whats up, if I don't carry, which is very unlikely. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I though federal law is 21 for pistols and pistol ammo.
Last time I checked states can't pass laws that lower age restrictions set by the FED.

Fed age law is for PURCHASING a pistol. States set thier own age limits for possessing a pistol. Some states even allow CCW for ages under 21.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What do you like more, the girl or wandering around doing something that most of society disagrees with?  

Maybe he likes determining his own fate, another concept society doesnt agree with.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I would agree with her.. Hate to say but open carry makes you the first target for a bad guy.. And hell why would she want to be standing next to you??
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey for what it's worth, I feel your pain....old enough to be an intelligent informed ARFCOM member and know about the times that a weapon has saved someone's life, but not old enough to conceal a weapon and thus protect yourself and her.

COuld you have it in the car?   Check your local laws about that and then go out with her with the gun.  Don't open carry, just leave it in the vehicle and try to gauge her reaction.  

Good luck, I hope the gun and the girl work out for you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hey for what it's worth, I feel your pain....old enough to be an intelligent informed ARFCOM member and know about the times that a weapon has saved someone's life, but not old enough to conceal a weapon and thus protect yourself and her.

COuld you have it in the car?   Check your local laws about that and then go out with her with the gun.  Don't open carry, just leave it in the vehicle and try to gauge her reaction.  

Good luck, I hope the gun and the girl work out for you.

As long as she doesn't know it is there, she doesn't get upset.  It is legal for me to open carry in my vehicle, but I don't like the idea of leaving it on the seat when I'm not in the vehicle (since society doesn't like people to open carry.)

ETA:  The way a lot of people are responding almost makes it seem like in order for me to want to exercise any of the rights afforded me by the Constitution, I need to be 21, simply because Society doesn't necesarily agree with my choices (but the law provides that I can).  Well, the framers of the Constitution were doing things that society didn't agree with 100% either...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

ETA:  The way a lot of people are responding almost makes it seem like in order for me to want to exercise any of the rights afforded me by the Constitution, I need to be 21, simply because Society doesn't necesarily agree with my choices (but the law provides that I can).  Well, the framers of the Constitution were doing things that society didn't agree with 100% either...

I agree with your political view on this.  But are you willing to risk not being able to carry legally later on in life in order to be able to carry for one more year right now?

If you carry because you value self preservation and not becasue it makes you "feel cool", I think you'll choose the lesser of the evils -- having your rights denied to you right now, for less than a year, versus for a longer period of time.  It's pretty easy to quantify the risk vs reward if you care to do so.  Add up the # of hours outside of the house wherein you'd be denied until you turn 21 and the number of hours outside the house where you'd be unable to carry if you get busted.

In a perfect world, you wouldn't have to make such a choice, but you do.  Just think it through, that's all.

According to packing.org, LA permits concealed carry in vehicles.

That means you don't have to leave it in the open in your car, and you can lock it in your glove compartment when you park.  Something to consider.

ETA: I am not a lawyer and my post is not to be construed as legal advice.  Consult an attorney if you have any questions.  Call your doctor if you have an erection which lasts longer than 4 hours, etc.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What do you like more, the girl or wandering around doing something that most of society disagrees with?  

Maybe he likes determining his own fate, another concept society doesnt agree with.

Lumpy shoots and scores.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#22]
until you can CC your W i would suggest keeping it concealed in your car. Thats the best you can do until you are 21.

as for your girlfriend. my GF is not a gun fan. She knows that i carry but she doesnt know WHEN i carry. If she asks i wont lie to her, but unless its hangin off your waist she isnt gonna think about it. My ex GF used to put her arm around my waist and her hand always ended up on the handle of my glock. She would laugh and say "oops" and move on, but she was cool about it. As long as that doesnt happen i dont see your GF makin a big deal out of it because honestly she will rarely think about it when you are out.

good luck
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.kiddyhouse.com/Farm/Sheep/sheepclips/merinostrong.jpg

That's a great picture. The second row third from the left is kinda cute!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Well, the framers of the Constitution were doing things that society didn't agree with 100% either...

And many of them paid a tremendous price for it, including losing their property and their lives.   When you have done the same perhaps you can consider yourself in the same category as they are.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Maybe.  But a big part of that determination  of fate is going to be based on how society feels and what they agree with, no matter what he likes or dislikes.  Crazy how this old constitutional republic works, huh??
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Well, the framers of the Constitution were doing things that society didn't agree with 100% either...

And many of them paid a tremendous price for it, including losing their property and their lives.   When you have done the same perhaps you can consider yourself in the same category as they are.

I wouldn't be training for military service if I wasn't willing to give up my life and property, now would I?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Check out Open Carry Not sure of the specifics of LA law so can't comment there, but having responsible gun owners open carry where legal is a good thing to get the stigma off firearms. Hell yeah. Say that again and again and againThere are tactical reasons why it may not always be a good idea, but I feel it is better to be armed than unarmed...

Oh BTW if she is that freaked out loose her now find a chich who supports guns. Yes it can be a major source of happieness or contention in a relationship. You descision should NOT affect her. It is YOUR desicion, be a man about it. Tell HER you will be armed where legal and if she wants to accompany YOU then she is welcome to. But don't roll over in this.

Or, buy her her own gun and take her shooting. Familiarity will always cut down on the BS.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Maybe.  But a big part of that determination  of fate is going to be based on how society feels and what they agree with, no matter what he likes or dislikes.  Crazy how this old constitutional republic works, huh??

Is that the same society that knows more about the Simpsons than the Constitution?

We are not a democracy. We are a Republic. Citizens have Rights and do not need to kowtoe to the majority to exercise them. Even if those Rights aren't popular with the braindead masses.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Ya know I didn't even think to ask if she would still freak if it was concealed.  I think what I will just end up doing is not letting her know when I carry once I get a CCW Permit.  Then she will have no reason to freak on me.

Dude, if you don't tell her and she finds out......major freaking out will occur.  Besides, total transparency is the only way to keep a relationship going long term.

But me being with her is not going to cause me to not have a weapon on me.

Find out what her comfort level is.  Situations, open, concealed, gun, knife, pepper spray....  there are many options.  Start with a well concealed small gun and let her get comfortable, go from there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Tell her you want to be able to carry the gun because you don't want to be in a situation where you can't protect her if you need to, and don't want to risk losing her because you weren't prepared.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I think she probaly feels almost embarrassed if you open carry. Not many girls that age think guns are Cool like guys. Face it,she probally just wants to CHILL you dont see many college guys on campus toting pistols.

Leave it in the car till you can carry concelaed and try to avoid situations (not always possible)where you may have to use a gun.

You got plenty of years ahead of you to carry concelaed for right now enjoy being young. Think if you got a gun on you cant go drinking or even in a bar with her if you all like to do that sort of thing. Be young and merry.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#32]

I wouldn't be training for military service if I wasn't willing to give up my life and property, now would I?

I don't know.  When you have actually done something, then we can talk about it.  Until then, sorry, but training to go into the military still doesn't put you anywhere near the status of the Founding Fathers IMO.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#33]

We are not a democracy. We are a Republic. Citizens have Rights and do not need to kowtoe to the majority to exercise them.

Well, once again you get close, but no cigar.  Yes, citizens do have rights, but there are limits on all the rights and society to a large extent determines what those limits shall be.  That is what being a nation of laws is all about.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Is LA really that dangerous that a 20 year old needs to open carry to protect himself?  That is to say, do you see a possibilty arising where you would need a gun to protect yourself.  I am 21 and the only time I open carry is when going to the range or hunting.  Just too much BS to deal with on a daily basis when open carrying.  Maybe if I lived in a small town or 50 years ago it would be different.  I just would rather not have to deal with constant stares and confrontations with police asking what the hell im doing because they themselves are unaware of the law.  If a 20 year old really fears for his life, he may want to assess where the hell he is living and what he is involved in.  I figure once you start a family and have noticable amounts of property that might change.  Till you turn 21, just dont carry.  Get a CHL and work on your gf for the next year.  Maybe you can get her involved in shooting and then you guys could have a new activity or something.  Take her to a range and let her shoot yours or even better buy her one of her own.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#35]
You need a new girl or you'll have to somehow convince her beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's critical for you to open carry anywhere you go.

I think you'll have an easier time finding a new girl unless you two get mugged sometime soon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Here's a question I haven't seen addressed in these forums.

Lots of posts suggest that open carry will get looks, disturb people, upset soccer moms, and generally disrupt the public calm.

But when I'm in line at the grocery store and a plain-clothes LEO (black denim jeans, collared short-sleeve shirt tucked in, with or w/o 'LEO' designation on the chest) has a gun on his/her hip - nobody even notices.  They don't ask if he's an officer.  They don't ask to see a badge.  They don't refuse to make eye-contact.  They don't get all choked-up when he offers a 'Good afternoon' or 'Thank you'.

So what's the big stinkin deal?  Is it that FL isn't an open carry state and us sheep just assume that a gun means 'officer'?  I just don't see the reactions everyone else claims are a deterrant (in an open state).
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So what's the big stinkin deal?  Is it that FL isn't an open carry state and us sheep just assume that a gun means 'officer'?  I just don't see the reactions everyone else claims are a deterrant (in an open state).

Maybe.  I know back in Oregon you stood a good chance of meeting a couple of fine police officers if you walked around a metro area with a pistol on your hip.

Out in the woods or rural towns, nobody cared.  But don't think you can stroll through portland with a desert eagle and not get some attention.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#38]
In Metro Portland you might see an average Joe wearing a trenchcoat.  Maybe I'm just stupid, but I'd be much more worried about what I *couldn't* see than what I *could* if he were wearing on his hip.

Matrix - Lobby Scene anyone?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
In Metro Portland you might see an average Joe wearing a trenchcoat.  Maybe I'm just stupid, but I'd be much more worried about what I *couldn't* see than what I *could* if he were wearing on his hip.

Yes, and you're a gun owner and therefore implicitely intelligent  We're talking about sheeple, here.

By the way, I know you're in FL,  but trenchcoats serve a practical purpose in PDX.  That wouldn't stand out one bit.  I know in FL if a guy has a trenchcoat he's either packing a 12g pump or about to show off his freshly waxed nut sack.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah well, I can see that most of the replies are concerned for this fellows well being not to bring any problems his way and a few are more or the "oh it just isn't done! anymore" variety.

I say if he has educated himself on the LA laws that pertain to this and has found it is not against one or more laws.  Then hurray for him! if he wants to open carry legally.  I would just advise having memorized the Statues titles that pertain to his Lawfull excersicing of his rights and maybe keep a copy readily available for use.

A friend of mine that lives here in the New Orleans area carries openly all of the time.  He knows his rights and when confronted he educates or expresses them as the need may be.  He has gotten acquainted with the local patrol officers as you probably can imagine.  But that is a good thing, more room for stronger relationships with local LEOs.  Now granted he owns a hardware store and has had to protect himself from armed robbers, but he is not allways at the store so to use the analagy that it is ok since he has a store I do not think is reasonable to assume.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I say if he has educated himself on the LA laws that pertain to this and has found it is not against one or more laws.

One of the early replies asserted that the law has a caveat, and that he could find himself in trouble for it.  I haven't seen that disputed.  As I told him, if it's a gray area he's best not to risk getting arrested and lose the ability to get his LA CHL in when he's eligible in LESS THAN A YEAR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top