Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 10:00:08 PM EDT
I have been debating getting a CHL for awhile.

I have found alot of excuses not to get one. I recently got into pistol shooting about a year ago.
At first I wouldn't trust myself with a pistol in a defense situation because about 10% of the shots would miss the target completely. Recently I have become much better. I was at the range this week and shot slow fire a 10 shot group at 15 yards into a 2 inch group. Out of those 10 rounds 8 of them were within a one inch single hole I punched out.  Even rapid fire I can get respectable center mass hits 100% of the time.

Alot of those excuses were what if guns become banned in the US and I'm now at the top of the list because of my CHL. What if I get hasseled by the cops more because of it. What will others think if they happen to see me printing. What if some type of scenario goes into effect etc..

There have been a few times, with my car breaking down and having to walk to the nearest gas station after dark and almost running out of gas in the middle of nowhere at 3am where I wished I had a CHL. I had a pistol in the car at the time but couldn't take it with me as I went for help.

I would like to know what everyone thinks are the pros and cons of getting a CHL. More like some kind of inspiration and personal stories to help with my decision. It would be much appreciated.

By the way I live in Colorado and a resident. From what I have heard, local LEO are very supportive of CHLs as well as the Chief LEO. I am also military AD and was wondering if there is anything I need to know regarding training.  I tried to sign up for an M-9  course since these are accepted as pistol training but never got a reply back from my email. The M-9 training is certainly much better than the state CHL training.

From Packing.org regarding Colorado.

A training certificate from a handgun training class (as defined in C.R.S. 18-12-202.5) obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of this application. It must be the original training certificate or a photocopy that includes the original signature of the class instructor.
Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces (DD214) within the three years preceding submittal of this application.
Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces (DD214) that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of this application.
Evidence that, at the time this application is submitted, the applicant is a certified instructor.
Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service.
A certificate showing retirement from a Colorado Law Enforcement Agency that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of this application.

Does this mean I just need my Form 88 from M-16 qualification to get my CHL license in lieu of a state CHL course? I usually read state law pretty well but this is really confusing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about colorado law / licensing process, so I won't comment on that.

I highly encourage you to get your CHL.  If you're not comfortable carrying yet, don't do so.  But having your CHL is a great thing in case your situation changes and you make an enemy.  Get it, get more comfortable with your gun, and have it in case you need to carry sooner than later.  My wife has an ex boyfriend that I'm always on the look out for.

Regarding accuracy -- get good.  Practice hitting your target every time.  But realize that if you're in an actual gun fight, there's a good chance you're going to miss the bad guy with some of your shots.  That happens all the time.  Minimize that possibility as much as you can and pray you never have to use your gun in a defensive situation.

Your experiences with LEOs will vary.  They're individuals with opinions just like anybody else.  I've had both positive and negative reactions from cops when they find out I carry.

If nothing else, it's a vote of sorts -- it's one more person in the state of colorado who feels like it's his right to carry if he so chooses.  It gives the politicians something to think about.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]
if you dont trust yourself then you probably shouldnt
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#3]
GET YOUR CHL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI - the vast majority of defensive shootings occur at bad breath distances.

Critical thinking, gun handling,  and tactics to not only avoid trouble but get out of it are far more important than being able to hit a nat's ass at 25 yrds.

In review:

GET YOUR CHL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Just because you get a CHL doesn't mean you have to carry either.  It just leaves your options open.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just because you get a CHL doesn't mean you have to carry either.  It just leaves your options open.

Very good point.  I always carry where legal!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ginarmous +1 !

GET IT!  Prove to those who made it 'shall issue' that it was worth it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to initially just say "Yes."

But, if you have doubts of yourself, ability or capability... then you must do whatever you have to to get rid of those doubts...then get your CHL.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was going to initially just say "Yes."

But, if you have doubts of yourself, ability or capability... then you must do whatever you have to to get rid of those doubts...then get your CHL.

No Expert

No doubts anymore. When I first started pistol shooting I did.  

Now I drill single holes at 15 yards.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:43:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess you could apply the same logic to having your CHL as having a gun. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Even though there are already more of us than you  think, we can always use another good man on the right side. Get your CHL!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know many gun owners and CHL permit holders who don't trust their temperment enough to carry 100% time.  In fact,  all legal CHL permit holders don't carry in bars.

The carry permit does three things.

1.  It allows you to legally carry when you see the need.  This becomes very important, God forbid, you are involved in a criminal interaction.  Remember there is no safe zone and you can be the most careful person in the world and still be a victim.

2. In many states, it gives you more transport options to and from the range.  This is very important if you vehicle doesn't have a trunk.

3.  It ups the statistical number of gun owners and personal carry people in your state by one.  This makes it harder for politicians to ignore the number of pro-gun people in their state and pass unwanted gun control laws.

Personaly, I think every gun owner should get their CHL whether they plan carrying or not.  Besides a CYB, its stand up and be counted.

Tj

+1 - hit it on the head Tj.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#12]
The answer is not on the internet.  It is in your head and your heart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top