Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 11:00:41 AM EDT
I was hoping someone could explain the difference between a reciprocity state vs. an honors state.

Example:

State "A" has reciprocity with State "B"

vs.

State "A" honors State "C"

Defined:

Honor (As in Honor another States Permit)

A unilateral action by one jurisdiction (state) to honor a permit or license from another jurisdiction....State "A" will "Honor" State "B's" Permit.

Reciprocity

A mutual exchange of privileges; specifically : a recognition by one of two countries or institutions of the validity of licenses or privileges granted by the other

What does all of this actually mean?  What rules must I follow when in another state that has reciprocity and what rules must I follow in another state that only honors?

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You must follow the states policies where you are ccw'ing in.

Reciprocity means both states honor each others permits.

Honor means one states honors the other permit but not vice versa.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thank you.  I should have figured that out myself...must be an off day.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

good explanation..
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Timely question. I was recently checking out packing.org and was wondering the same thing?

Quoted:

That made sense until I went pack to packing.org and found... well I don't really know what I found except this... Here is the map for my state...

It lists 7 states that "Honors" the KY CCDW permit. By the description above, I take that to mean that their state accepts my CCDW as valid in that state but my state will not consider CCW from that state valid? To verify that, I checked those other state's maps and found this...

Here's the IN map which claims Reciprocity between KY and IN? How can it be viewed as "Honors" on one side and "Reciprocity" on the other? I checked the other 6 states and they are listed the same as IN except for Utah and Idaho which lists "Honors"

Well if they "Honor" KY's and KY "Honors" theirs, then isn't that "Reciprocity"?

What am I missing here guys? I'm confused
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't know if I quite agree with this statement, technically. I believe two states could honor each other's permits/licenses but not have reciprocity. I say this only because I believe when referring to reciprocity the definition may be more of a written policy that specifies states that this state will recognize the permets/licenses from. I could be wrong but that's how I'm seeing it at this moment. In ten minutes perhaps I'll see it a different way.

Washington state has reciprocity agreements with seven other states. www.atg.wa.gov/firearms/states.shtml.

That is my opinion and right now I don't want to research it to find I'm wrong, so I'm sticking with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys are bringing up some good points.  Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten us a little.

Let's keep this going until we have the answer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Well if they "Honor" KY's and KY "Honors" theirs, then isn't that "Reciprocity"?

What am I missing here guys? I'm confused

You have to read the fine print.

An example is that Texas recognizes Michigan permits and Michigan recognizes Texas permits but Michigan does not honor Texas Non-Resident Permits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top