Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 1:38:36 PM EDT
What Type of Training does other states have for a Concealed Weapons Permit.

I live in Nebraska, and we are again trying to pass a concealed weapons carry permit.
It has been up for debate for the past 10 years.  And this time it passed to a second round of debate.

a few things I noticed.
$100 good for 5 years.
Training from the State Patrol.

What Type of Training does other states have for a Concealed Weapons Permit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My CCW class was a joke.  I paid $75 (just for the class, on TOP of the $117 state fee and $10 for pictures)

The class included a 1hr video on use of deadly force, a Q&A session with the instructor, and a 3 question test.  I then demonstrated "profiency" by dry firing my beretta at the wall.  No actual shots were required for the course.  

The whole class kinda made me worried about who actually could get a CCW permit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
CCW classes here are a joke, too.  It was the NRA's basic pistol and home defense courses rolled into one 8-hour session.  We had to shoot something like 25 rounds at a target - 5 from 3 yards, 5 from 5 yards, 5 from 7 yards, and 5 from 10 yards, and 5 rapid-fire.  There were a couple women in the class who put something like 10 rounds on paper and still got the OK.  Watch a couple videos, listen to the professor go over the basics of deadly force laws, Q&A, and you're good to go for $75.

I'm all for the expansion of gun rights, but this class made me scared about the training (or lack of) required to carry a firearm.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
$25 and no classes here to get a CCL!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Minnesota is simular to what yours will be.  Only difference is a organization can be approved based on their class and be added to the list of "approved" instructors.

Class consists of 6 hours of class room training covering all aspects of handguns.  Different types, ammo, holsters for carry, legalities, when you can't carry, impact on having to use your weapon for physical, psyco and legal issues and then a shooting qualification of 50 rounds with manditory reloads at 5, 7 and 12 yards. [
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Virginia/NRA Hunter Safety Course I took for free when I was 12.  All classroom instruction.

That and $50 and a clean record for the permit.  Renew @ 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
In NH you dont have to take any test or class to get your CCW.

I have taken classes though for my own well being. I have taken:
LFI-1 with Massad Ayoob
CCW class with a certified instructor.
IDPA classes with Mike Briggs.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I live in PA and we do not have a training requirement  just a clean record and $19.  I also have a FL permit and they accepted my IDPA card with my ranking on it as training.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Most states take some kind of very basic or no training at all for their permits.  That doesn't mean you can't go out and find a good course/instructor and take some solid training.

I took a class in Alaska taught by a state fish and game and NRA veteren.  It was great, included a 2 hour Q and A with a local police officer, live shooting, and several videos lectures and the whole nine yards.  Granted it was geared towards the person who was almost totally unfamiliar with handguns, but I guarantee we all learned our 100 bucks worth.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]
No class needed for me.  I just used my DD-214.  That was enough for them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe in NC it is suppossed to be something like a two day class (forgot how many hours) that can run up to about $125, then $80 to put in for the permit, another $10 for finger printing, then you wait three months for them to approve it.

I managed to kill two birds with one stone, and went for the armed security gun class, paid for by my last armored company, and the instructor signed off for concealed for anyone who wanted it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Like the other guy from FL said, the class REQUIREMENTS here are a joke. and the only thing it did for me was worry me about people out there carrying.

But, since i didnt feel responsible carrying a gun with only that much training i took a 3 day, 24 hours worth, or training from a top notch instructor. I then turned his completion certificate in with his NRA instructor number on it to get my permit.

Since then i have taken that same 24hr class 3 more times and a Handgun CQT class in order to feel confident while carrying.

I think the trainting required of Permit Applicants should be MUCH MUCH harder.

Good luck gettin the law passed!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Here in OR any NRA safety class except for hunter safety. (mine was a $45 joke)
$50sate fee+ $15 federal check good for 4 years
renew at $50 only.
when you move you have 30days to update your address:
Cost $15 in county
to transfer your records to another county and be refinger printed and photograhped $25

If you let your permit expire then the $50+15 gets you four years.
the turn around time is 2-6 weeks the law requires the sherrif to take no more then 30days then mail time.
I have been in three counties in the last 11 years. the first I was in my permit number was like 54XXXXX my dads showed up two weeks later 89XXXXX (mine took 10 days his 23 days) file same day.
the next county I was number 1XXX
now I'm somewhere inbetween

I'm moving again this month I will saty in this county
I have been a reserve police officer and recieved onduty gun carry and use training, as well as off duty CCW law training.  the last thing they want is to have an officer beening charged for not knowing the rules.
OR is very carry friendly.
its not cheap but when every aptment complex charges $25-35 preperson background checks
and you don't need to get your own fingerprints (normally $15) or photos. I don't think it is excessive.
If we must have files on those who rightly exersize thier rights we should at least keep the cost down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#13]
When I had mine in florida, fall of 96 or 97, it was basically a class in the rear of a gun shop, we sat through some generic gun laws talk, saw a video on gun safety, and had a written test (very few questions, maybe 20?). We never shot a handgun.

Of course, the guy putting on the program knew me, and knew I shot often and safely so it is possible I got the "nickel show".
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#14]
OK:
$100 to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (for application and FBI/State background check)
$25 to your Sheriff (for finger prints and hassle of using their services?  )
$5-7 for two passport style photos
$60 for training course (I only paid $35 since I'm .mil and I have paperwork showing my .mil handgun training, which exempted me from the shooting requirements of the state of OK)

The course covered background on concealed carry, implications/examples of lawful/unlawful carry, and basic firearm safety.  The 15 questions multiple choice test was only on basic firearm safety.

Took about 3 months before my license was ready for pickup from the Sheriff's office.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
here in VA i paid $75 for a 9 1/2 hour class which also included a lawyer speaking for aprox 1 hour.then i paid $50 to the city for applying for the actual permit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#17]
$10 no class
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#19]
This one from Sigarms Academy:

Concealed Carry Pistol - Intermediate Duration: 3 days / 24 hours

Abstract

This course is intended for citizens who carry a concealed defensive pistol and those who are seeking handgun skills for self-defense in the home or workplace. The course goal is to give the participant a solid foundation of defensive handgun skills and techniques as well as applicable information for concealed carry and personal defense. This course would equally suit the needs of those who have had some training, and self-defense instructors (or very experienced persons.) This course goes far beyond the content and value of most other comparable length courses and the content of this course may fulfill local requirements for concealed carry and other permits. (Check with your local issuing agency for their specific requirements. In most cases, this course will exceed those requirements.)
NOTE: Fulfills the Massachusetts Dept. of State Police's requirements for the Basic Firearms Safety Course needed to obtain a License to Carry (LTC) under 515 CMR 3.05(1)(b). This course may fulfill requirements of other states and jurisdictions for obtaining various resident and non-resident handgun permits.

Overview

* Firearms Safety that works-in the home, workplace, vehicle, in training, and in carry.
   * The Concealed Carry Ensemble-recommendations and considerations for equipment selection and wear of:
   * Concealed Carry Pistols
   * Holsters and Carry systems
   * Magazine Pouches
   * Other defensive items (tactical flashlights, alternative force tools)
   * Carry Positions/Locations and Techniques for Concealed Carry Draw of the Pistol
   * Loading and Unloading of Pistols
   * Defensive Pistol Marksmanship Fundamentals
   * Drawing and Re-holstering Techniques
   * Ready Positions to use during a confrontation
   * Close Proximity Shooting Techniques for Violent Encounters
   * Precision and Point Shooting
   * One Hand (dominant hand) shooting
   * Multiple Shot Techniques
   * Identification and Engagement of Multiple Opponents
   * Shooting While Moving and Utilization of Tactical Movement
   * Identification and Utilization of Cover
   * Techniques of Seated Engagement
   * Introduction to Diminished Light
   * Pistol Inspection and Maintenance
   * Overview of Alternative Carry Techniques
   * Utilization of Force in Self-Defense, both lethal and less lethal.

It is a great course and I felt much more comfortable carrying after taking it.  I also shoot regularly to keep the skills.

I DO NOT think that people should be required to take a course to get a CCW permit.  This is an infringement of the Second Amendment.  However, I do think it is a good idea to get good instruction.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
CCW classes here are a joke, too.  It was the NRA's basic pistol and home defense courses rolled into one 8-hour session.  We had to shoot something like 25 rounds at a target - 5 from 3 yards, 5 from 5 yards, 5 from 7 yards, and 5 from 10 yards, and 5 rapid-fire.  There were a couple women in the class who put something like 10 rounds on paper and still got the OK.  Watch a couple videos, listen to the professor go over the basics of deadly force laws, Q&A, and you're good to go for $75.

I'm all for the expansion of gun rights, but this class made me scared about the training (or lack of) required to carry a firearm.

That sounds like the exact same course I took.  Oh wait...it WAS the same course!  

I was there that day with Nick, and deedub.  We three marveled at the simplicity of the class, and the absurdity of the perspective CCW holders in the room with us.  I guess the classes are tailored to answer the types of questions that these "Junior G-Men" ask.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Minnesota is simular to what yours will be.  Only difference is a organization can be approved based on their class and be added to the list of "approved" instructors.

Class consists of 6 hours of class room training covering all aspects of handguns.  Different types, ammo, holsters for carry, legalities, when you can't carry, impact on having to use your weapon for physical, psyco and legal issues and then a shooting qualification of 50 rounds with manditory reloads at 5, 7 and 12 yards. [

I just got my New Mexico CCW. NM has the reputation for having the strictest requirements for CCW classes. 8 hours class time, same subject matter as above plus methods to "defuse" a situation; then a shooting qualification, 15 shots at 15 feet, and 10 shots at 20 feet. You have to hit a standard-sized silouette with (I think) 75% of your shots to qualify.
Cost: license, $100; class, $150. Supply your own ammo.
License term: 4 years, with a 'refresher' course after every 2 years.
The requirements on type & caliber have been loosened: Formerly, you had to qualify in each caliber/type of weapon you wished to carry. So if you wanted, say, 9mm, .45 ACP and .357 Magnum, you had to qualify 25 shots/3 times! Now the qualification has been relaxed: I qualified with .45 ACP and .44 Magnum, and can carry anything smaller in each class*. In addition, the derringer is a 3rd class in which you must qualify.

The people who have worked for 10 years to get CCW in New Mexico have seen their efforts pay off; and now that it has passed, and the politicians haven't seen 'the streets running with blood' as the anti's have predicted, it looks like it's here to stay! Hooray for our side!

*The older licenses, requiring qualification in each caliber, are still in effect; they must wait till they take their recertification classes to get the new license priveleges.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
L.E.O. training.    

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
OK:
$100 to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (for application and FBI/State background check)
$25 to your Sheriff (for finger prints and hassle of using their services?  )
$5-7 for two passport style photos
$60 for training course (I only paid $35 since I'm .mil and I have paperwork showing my .mil handgun training, which exempted me from the shooting requirements of the state of OK)

The course covered background on concealed carry, implications/examples of lawful/unlawful carry, and basic firearm safety.  The 15 questions multiple choice test was only on basic firearm safety.

Took about 3 months before my license was ready for pickup from the Sheriff's office.

I figured I'd include some additional info.  FrankSymptoms' post reminded me of things I should add to my post.

Additional info for Oklahoma:
If your firearms training was done with a derringer, you can only carry a derringer.  If it was done with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver.  But if you did your firearms training on a semi-auto pistol, you are allowed to carry semi-auto pistol, revolver, or derringer.  It is not caliber specific (ie if you shoot with a semi-auto 9mm pistol, you can carry a .40, a .45, or what have you).  .45 is the largest caliber you can carry here in OK.

The license is also good for 5 years.  The fee for a renewal is $85 and the renewal is good for 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No class needed for me.  I just used my DD-214.  That was enough for them.

Yeah aint nothing like real world expearaince.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top