Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 6:39:16 PM EDT
My CCW is a Glock 23.  I've been starting to use 15 round G22 mags (for higher capacity and a more comfortable 2 handed grip).  God forbid, if I was ever in a situation where I had to defend myself and shoot someone, would the use of G22 mags cause me [additional] legal problems?  Am I worrying about nothing?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My CCW is a Glock 23.  I've been starting to use 15 round G22 mags (for higher capacity and a more comfortable 2 handed grip).  God forbid, if I was ever in a situation where I had to defend myself and shoot someone, would the use of G22 mags cause me [additional] legal problems?  Am I worrying about nothing?

I read up on these trials quite a bit, as I like to know where I stand.

If you end up shooting someone, the DA WILL bring this to the attention of the jury when he's trying to paint you as a bad guy.  They also bring it to the attention of the jury when the shooter carried a spare magazine ("In total AR_Ron, the bad guy who shot the choir boy, had 31 rounds of evil hollow point ammunition!")

That doesn't mean you should shy away from carrying them for this sole reason, IMHO.  But it's good you've thought about this.  It all comes down to your defense -- you can successfully defend those higher capacity mags (in my opinion, I am not a lawyer, etc etc) if you get the right expert testimony and your lawyer points out to the jury that your local law enforcement carry much more ammunition, etc.

Again, IANAL.  I carry a G23.  I have G22 mags.  I carry a G23 mag in my pistol.  I have considered carrying a G22 mag for a reload because I have 2 of each (g22 and g23 mags) and that would allow me to rotate mags nicely.

I don't put the G22 mags in my gun mainly because they make it slightly less concealable.  In part I don't do it because of the reason you just brought up though.

Once again, not a lawyer.  Just a dude who has read plenty about court cases involving CCW.  Ayoob addresses some of the legal angles such as this in his writings.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If you end up shooting someone, the DA WILL bring this to the attention of the jury when he's trying to paint you as a bad guy.  They also bring it to the attention of the jury when the shooter carried a spare magazine ("In total AR_Ron, the bad guy who shot the choir boy, had 31 rounds of evil hollow point ammunition!")

OK, your state is that screwed up where they immediately charge the person and have a jury trial because they lawfully used deadly force???

If it is treated as a criminal act requiring a trial, there is NO reason to provide any info. to LE and just wait for a trial. How a DA could charge you without knowing the facts and how any judge would approve a charge when there is evidence no crime was even committed seems assinine. This concept doesn't make much sense. It fails to allow the police to do their job and actually investigate the incident, thus determining no crime was even committed.

I thought TX was more gun friendly than that!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1
If it was a good shoot, it doesn't matter.
Asking questions like this only guarantees more gun bans.
Use the mag cap your gun was designed to use.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you live in a state with some kind of AWB law, which IIRC MN does not have, then what you have are standard capacity magazines. They don't hold any more or any less than they did before this whole AWB silliness started. Its not like you went in and asked for high capacity magazines prior to 94.

As for the DA issue, cops carry "high capacity" magazines, cops carry hollow points and you shoot in self-defense to live. Period. None of this wounding BS. Shoot CM until the attack stops. Even if it takes a re-load. Or two.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, your state is that screwed up where they immediately charge the person and have a jury trial because they lawfully used deadly force???

If it is treated as a criminal act requiring a trial, there is NO reason to provide any info. to LE and just wait for a trial. How a DA could charge you without knowing the facts and how any judge would approve a charge when there is evidence no crime was even committed seems assinine. This concept doesn't make much sense. It fails to allow the police to do their job and actually investigate the incident, thus determining no crime was even committed.

I thought TX was more gun friendly than that!!

No, I meant that IF it goes to trial the fact that you used those mags will be brought up.  Sorry, I should have clarified -- I didn't mean to imply you're going to go to trial just because you shot somebody.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, any decent legal expert could refute what the DA is saying.........

It is sad that the ultra-liberal Nazis that are in control of certain areas actually cause the good people to fear protecting themselves.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For Christs sake.................. you need to worry about the shoot being good or not, not what mags you used.

Yup, but the original poster brought up an issue which IS raised in court when a DA is desperate to prove that a shoot wasn't good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
No issue in MN with how many rounds in your gun!

I say carry as many rounds as I can!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I mean, if they're going to try to screw you, they're going to TRY.

That said, I wouldn't worry about packing extra mags or hi-caps for that reason only. If there's nothing illegal about it, they really can't push the issue.

I wear a vest (level II) during the winter, and I'm sure that would weigh against me in court. But ya know what? If it ever comes into question, my legal matters will be the least of my troubles.

IMO, and I'm no lawyer, it wouldn't screw you in the criminal case, but it might screw you in the civil case, ie: you killed my criminal son.

That's why, if you ever have to defend yourself, YOU be the one to place civil charges against the person/family first, that way YOU are the victim.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I see it this way.  If you don't live in an AWB state, then you can simply bring up examples of Law enforcement carrying more rounds than you did.  You should also point out that you only used X number of rounds to stop the threat, so you actually showed restraint  

Lawyers........everything that is wrong with this country can be blamed on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top