Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:36:53 PM EDT
Right now I have 7 choices (big and small)

Was thinking about 1 SHTF gun (big) stashed while driving , and 1 everyday (small)
on my person.

Of course being Cold Weather now I could carry any of my pistols
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For a serious CCW, reliability is #1...period. Nothing else matters if it does not go "bang" first time, every time. Reliability can be a function of the gun, ammo and...in the case of the autopistol... magazines and / or the operator. In fact, given good handguns, ammunition,  and proper maintenance, most malfunctions are shooter-induced. As you noted, in a PA winter, you might also be certain your carry load will penetrate several layers clothing / jacket, etc.

For me, nothing under 9mmP or .38Spl. gets the nod as a primary CCW handgun.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

Reliability is #1 issue.  If it does not go bang then it does not go in the holster period.

I generally carry 2 guns unless it  is to hot or must be very concealed.  Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Right now i split time between a Beretta 92 and a KelTec P3AT.  My choice on what I walk out the door with is based on what I am wearing for the day.  

The Beretta is big and heavy, and I am looking to replace it as a primary carry gun.  I am looking into a Glock 30.

As said before, reliability is #1.  Even in hot weather (I live in Miami) you can conceal pretty much anything if you're creative enough and willing to sweat a little.

Aside from being reliable, it need to be a gun that you are 100% comfortable with.  Something that you practice with a LOT and know in, out, left, right, up down..... you get the idea.  Basically, you should carry your favorite pistol.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Was thinking about 1 SHTF gun (big) stashed while driving , and 1 everyday (small)
on my person.

This is what I do.  I have one very accesible to me in my pickup, chambered in a caliber that will be somewhat effective at shooting through my own windshield if I need it to be.

Drawing from an IWB holster in a car with your seat belt on doesn't always go smoothly.

The most important factors are that your gun is reliable and that you're reliable with it.  It's no good to carry the latest and greatest whiz bang elite operator pistol with all the bells and whistles if you can't shoot it effectively.    It's surprising how much better I shoot some pistols than others, solely because of ergonomics.

I'll save you some money on holsters and tell you right now to order a versa-max II and carry IWB.  It's taken me many holster and pistol combinations to figure out what works best for me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I carry the same type weapon in the same place on my body with the same ammno and same mags 365/24/7. I have one weapons platform and one only.

Yes , I am well aware of your Affliction.

However , Some of us like to celebrate Diversity.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#8]
One additional recommendation is to have more than one type of carry like a gun that fits into a pocket holster.  This has been the best overall carry method for me and I use a Kel-tec P32 every day and add a larger gun in OWB or IWB.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Another good guy with a gun in PA!! That's a good thing!! The more that the right people are armed, the better it is for all of us. Welcome on board. May you never have to do anything but carry your weapon!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Keltec P3AT it goes every where with me on and off duty. Make sure you pick a weapon that you will always have with you. To me thats more important than anything else. All the time my friends give me hard time for carrying a .380, but offten when I say " well lets see your .45 " they sometimes aren't even carrying it . Pick a gun you will carry all the time no matter what the weather is or where you are going.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top