Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 5:14:27 PM EDT
Folks: I live in Texas and mainly have to wear shorts, and light weight shirts due to the heat. I would like to carry a pistol with me but concealment and comfort are my issues. I was thinking of a pocket pistol like the Kel Tec P32 (with the belt clip) or a Berreta Jetfire. Common sense tells me to carry something like a Glock 30 but I do not think I can get away with something that big. Any recomendations or comments.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Common sense is a very good thing.  You can carry a fullsize firearm comfortably in shorts as long as you do your research and buy the proper concealment system.  I carry a 5" 1911 in shorts all the time.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn slow site!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Well what kind of shorts? I carry my G30 in wearing bluejean shorts in a MS VMII with no issues! Just depends on if you can wear a gun belt or not. If not then you would have to look at a pocket pistol of some sort.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I figured out how to carry a Beretta 92 (a BIG pistol by any standard) in Miami.  It's all in the holster.  I have a Kel Tec P3AT for when I have to go really light.

The key is getting a good holster.  I use a blackhawk CQC holster to carry the Beretta.  It holds the gun close to the body and doesnt move around that much.  I can hide it under a big T-Shirt or jersey (just make sure it's not a see-thru one!)

No matter what gun you choose, you wont get away with wearing gym shorts and carrying a medium-large gun.  Anything with a belt will work for you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry my P32 in a pocket holster every day of the year as an "always carry" gun.   Very light and easy to conceal.  You can get the 380 version for more punch or even the P11 (9MM) in a pocket holster or IWB.

Give it a shot!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I use a blackhawk CQC holster to carry the Beretta.  

I carry the Sig Pro the same exact way and it prints like a brick  But then the Beretta is a bigger heavier brick.

I'd suggest CZ 75B compact or P99 / SW99 because they are one of the thinnest handguns available.  Also the Glock is not a bad choice either, which is my summer gun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweat is going to be your enemy.. Get the Glock 30, and get religious at the end of the day about wiping it down  field stripped. It wont rust if you clean it, and get two holsters in leather, or one in Zytle. One holster can dry while the other is worn. Bowling shirts, and heavy T shirts in a size larger tha you need, and good belts. In and out of the car all the time? Get a Bianchi fanny pac, ( Yes I said it..... ) It is better than not carrying, and solves the problem of seat stab.

Get the P3AT and the G30.   The P3 can be carried at the laundomat, and the g30 can be worn at the movies or down town. Problem solved by accessorizing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sweat is going to be your enemy.. Get the Glock 30, and get religious at the end of the day about wiping it down field stripped. It wont rust if you clean it, and get two holsters in leather, or one in Zytle. One holster can dry while the other is worn. Bowling shirts, and heavy T shirts in a size larger tha you need, and good belts. In and out of the car all the time? Get a Bianchi fanny pac, ( Yes I said it..... ) It is better than not carrying, and solves the problem of seat stab.

Get the P3AT and the G30.   The P3 can be carried at the laundomat, and the g30 can be worn at the movies or down town. Problem solved by accessorizing.

Don't you think that's overdoing it a bit?  It would be a nice preventive measure,  but unnecessary, IMO.

Tyger2,

As others said, get a good holster.  What kind of shorts do you normally wear?  If you won't be wearing a belt with your shorts, get a clip-on holster.  It won't be as stable as a belt holster, but not too uncomfortable either.  As far as efficient concealability, you should be G2G with a G30.  I'm a medium guy and comfortably carry a G22 in shorts and a T.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]
USAF_Hop_N_Pop, shouldn't you be carrying a Bren Ten or S&W 645 if your in Miami?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
USAF_Hop_N_Pop, shouldn't you be carrying a Bren Ten or S&W 645 if your in Miami?

I realize that I'm probably wishfully thinking by carrying anything non-belt fed in Miami, but I like by Beretta quite a bit, especially since the weather has gotten cold (a fridigid 65 degrees as I write this around quarter after 6)

And I'm not the biggest fan of wheel guns.  Just not my thing.

ETA:  I guess I just showed my age by being kinda slow on the pickup on the Miami Vice thing.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got a CZ 2075 RAMI. I cant say enough good things about it. I can put more rounds on target in half the time I could with my 1911. Half the size and twice the mag capacity of a 1911. I put 400 rounds threw it since Christmas with lots of differnt mix and match ammo, it eats them all.

Never thougth I would like a 9mm again. Fits in a pants pocket and does 2 or 3 inches at 15 yards.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
As others have said, concealment is mostly about the holster.

For pocket carry I'm a huge fan of a little wheel gun.  The Ruger SP-101 is my favorite.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry my G30 even when it is hot out. I use a tshirt and then a button down shirt over it. Works for me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I can carry a 1911 in Florida weather year round with a VMII. If I need something smaller and lighter, I reach for the Kahr P40. It's a light, accurate pistol with lots of bite.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top