Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 11:17:48 PM EDT
Ive been searching for a while now to find a good tactical flashlight to carry in my vehicle and have for home use also. Well i found a Surefire light and payed about $75 for it. I went to a gunshop today and bought a new Glock and found the Browning 10mm Balistics light sitting there for about $7 so i bought it. Ive needed one for a long time now and ever since have been using a cheap walmart light and a white piece of paper to make a reflection down the barrel. Well anyway i got home and turned this light on and its almost as bright as this Surefire. Im sending the Surefire back and getting my money back with it and im going to buy several more of these. For only $7 you cant beat this thing. It has a Xenon bulb and takes 2 AAA batteries and this thing is no bigger than a Sharpie and has 6,000 candlewatt power. So in other words this is a really good little light. A little sharpie sized $7 light, or a light four times its size...."but still small" and is almost $70 more to get the almost exact performance..........well you do t he math. Now how well its made and its durability im not sure of. I doubt i can throw it on the ground, in water, in the mud, and step on it and have it still work like the Surefire but after buying this little thing and seeing its performance i am not impressed with Surefire at all. I wrote this just to save some of you some money..........and some laughter.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You get what you pay for.  Surefire lights will stand up to recoil when mounted on a gun. They also have a lifetime warranty.  Light is measured in Lumens, not candlepower.  Candlepower is a marketing gimmick word.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I have seen the surefire g2 models for 30 or 40 bucks,and streamlight makes a plastic light with a pocket clip for 40 to 50 bucks. These are both 2 lithium cell, high lumen tactical lights.I would think the browning is more of a general work light.
As an aside,I have a surefire e2e that I put an led head on for longer battery life[half the lumens of  the standard bulb,but still pretty good]The pocket clip broke after 2 years and I e-mailed them,they sent me a new one at no charge in about a week.Great customer service!
Expensive,but very high quality,and I treat it like a defensive tool,it has to work 100%.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ive been searching for a while now to find a good tactical flashlight to carry in my vehicle and have for home use also. Well i found a Surefire light and payed about $75 for it. I went to a gunshop today and bought a new Glock and found the Browning 10mm Balistics light sitting there for about $7 so i bought it. Ive needed one for a long time now and ever since have been using a cheap walmart light and a white piece of paper to make a reflection down the barrel. Well anyway i got home and turned this light on and its almost as bright as this Surefire. Im sending the Surefire back and getting my money back with it and im going to buy several more of these. For only $7 you cant beat this thing. It has a Xenon bulb and takes 2 AAA batteries and this thing is no bigger than a Sharpie and has 6,000 candlewatt power. So in other words this is a really good little light. A little sharpie sized $7 light, or a light four times its size...."but still small" and is almost $70 more to get the almost exact performance..........well you do t he math. Now how well its made and its durability im not sure of. I doubt i can throw it on the ground, in water, in the mud, and step on it and have it still work like the Surefire but after buying this little thing and seeing its performance i am not impressed with Surefire at all. I wrote this just to save some of you some money..........and some laughter.

Then what good is it?  You yourself requested "tactical" which to me means that it may have to be used in situations where it could be subjected to the above red sentence, but you don't know if its going to work afterwards?  SF lights are a KNOWN performer, but to each his own!  If you want a light for the "CDI Factor", that'll probably work, but if you want a light you KNOW will perform when the chips are down, probably ought to buck up and keep the SureFire.!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Well i was somewhat serios but i really didnt mean that to be taken literally. Calm down some. I'm going to keep the Surefire but i just couldnt see how this little light was just as bright.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Surefire G2 Nitrolon.

$32
Lifetime warranty.
Shock-rated weapon light.
lightweight.
Bright.

enough said.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the Streamlight Scorpion - I have had it since 1996. I think I paid $35 at the time.

Wal-art sells a Xenon bulbed Brinkman for $20. It is very similar to the Scorpion. It is almost as bright, and for the money, U can't beat it. I got tired of going to my bedroom to get the Scorpion light to do sruff outside, so I bought the Brinkman o keep in the kitchen. For $20, it is a great deal. It uses lithium batteries as well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
On a side note, I am trading in all of my Berettas, Glocks and Sigs because I can buy HiPoints for 1/5 the cost and they still shoot too.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On a side note, I am trading in all of my Berettas, Glocks and Sigs because I can buy HiPoints for 1/5 the cost and they still shoot too.

Actually, except for the Sigs, it would be an even trade.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Another thing to think about with a tactical light is battery life/use.  Standard Alkaline batteries will die over time, and work very badly in cold temperatures.  Lithium's have a long shelf life, no chance of leaking acid and destroying your new lights.  Plus they work great in very cold temps.

But alas, it's your life...what's it worth?  Myself?  I carry 2+ lights, one tac light (SL TL-2) and a pocket light for utility tasks.  Also how does that little LED light throw at night?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 on the g2
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:56:10 AM EDT
[#12]
i too am of the cheap school
thought brinkman was top of the line for the price but never happy with the amount of lumens you get for the life of the batteries,,
found a streamlight twintask for 20.00 at a fun show in october...thouhght what the heck.
WOW
will blind you..with either bulb setting..
check them out,
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, except for the Sigs, it would be an even trade.  

yeah the Sig would be trading up, the slides on Hi-Points don't rust as fast as a Sig

Not the blackened stainless slides on my Sigs - no rust there!  
Did have to replace my grip screws with Hogue stainless ones after I sweated all over them for a couple of years and they rusted, though

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I love anything that is Surefire, and polymer, instead of aluminum.  You save a ton of dough, and neither I, nor any of my officers have broken one yet!
On duty, I carry the 8A, and off, the G2.  Hard to beat for price, brightness, durability.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Surefire G2 Nitrolon.

$32
Lifetime warranty.
lightweight.
Bright.

enough said.

+1
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 2 G2's and a E2D.  The one advantage thr G2 has over the aluminum bodies is that you can put them in your mouth and bite down, thus keeping both hands free to do whatever you are doing.  I would not want to do that with my E2D.

I had to change a battery in a parking lot when it was 8 degrees one night.......I was soooo glad I had the G2 in the glove box.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Surefire G2 Nitrolon.

$32
Lifetime warranty.
lightweight.
Bright.

enough said.

+1

I love the G2s. I have 4 G2s, 2 E2es, an E1e, and 2 weapon lights.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Surefire G2 Nitrolon.

$32
Lifetime warranty.
lightweight.
Bright.

enough said.

+2

h/w, my G2's bulb blew out after 2 weeks (carried in my pocket, no rough handling) unexpectedly
bit of a surprise to me, but surefire sent me a replacement, no problems

but now i carry a second light, a brighter and more focused Inova X03
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Alphaghost,

How is the throw, or distance of light projected on your Inova x03 compared to your G2?  I have a 6p knock off and am considering a real 6p or G2 but have always liked LED lights for their long runtime (but not their inability to cast light far, such as for outdoor usage).  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Try the cyclops at sams club, 80 lumens , small black, push button tail cap, 2 pack for 20.84, very bright, I bought a few before Cheistmas, and have been very pleased, I have one on my rifle, and the other I  use at the firestation. The have been talked about a  lot at arfcom, and have good feedback, Firestation light has been used daily, and appear to be very water proof.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I love my G2 as an inexpensive carry light.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Try the cyclops at sams club, 80 lumens , small black, push button tail cap, 2 pack for 20.84, very bright, I bought a few before Cheistmas, and have been very pleased, I have one on my rifle, and the other I use at the firestation. The have been talked about a lot at arfcom, and have good feedback, Firestation light has been used daily, and appear to be very water proof.

I bought a pair at Sam's Club for $19.95. When I got them home, I compared them to my Surefire 6P. The 80 lumen Cyclops are visually dimmer and more "yellow" than the 60 lumen Surefire. The reflector is visibly poor in quality compared to the Surefire. The projected "image" is not even in brightness and is very uneven.

I think these make a good value in a cheap light but they should never, ever be compared in quality with a Surefire or any other quality light. I would buy more as a cheap, utility light but would never make any comparison to Surefire.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#24]
My friend introduced me to SUFEFIRE lights and I'm very grateful that he did...

At first, i had my doubts on the SF's performance... But after seeing its "unfair" advantage over other lights in actual night operations... i'm sold to the SF performance... Now its part of my "essential" tools for my daily work... Always reliable and durable...Got a G2 Nitrolon with extra batteries and lamp... Very happy with it... Same performance as the SF 6P but at a lower price... nothing beats this... getting another G2 Nitrolon for the car and house...

Get this and you'll be glad that you did... Best all around light... Tactical or general use...

hinking.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top