Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 2:54:14 PM EDT
I am trying to figure which of these two holsters I should be ordering to CCW my Springfield XD9 Service.

The VM2 is liked by everyone and has tons of great features. (even reading this sub-forum I came across 10+ positive reviews of the VM2)

The COM3 found at www.hbeleatherworks.com is noted as being "inspired" by the VM2, so it looks and has nearly the same features, but also can be made "rough-side-out" so the rougher portion of the leather is against your skin which would conceivably provide more hold for the holster. Also, he offers a more custom holster (adjustable: cant, ride height, extensive colors)..but I am still lost.

I cant decide which one is the one for me. The VM2 is $100, whereas the COM3 is ~$80..I am willing to spring for whichever is going to provide me the better fit/function.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Rough out leather isn't offered on the VMII because it isn't needed.  If you use a decent gunbelt, it WILL NOT MOVE!  I have no experience with the COM3, but I can unabashedly recommend the VMII as probably the best IWB holster made.(At least for concealing a 5" 1911.)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#3]
i vote this

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one for my 3" Kimber and one for my 340PD J frame.  They are the best.  Stop looking.  Get the VM11.  Also have one on order for my USPc-45.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought a com3 for a Kahr P40 and it sucked ass.

What made it suck ass? Seeing as how they look so similar and employ most of the same features I fail to see how the VM2 can be AMAZING and the COM3 can SUCK?

Thanks to everyone who replied...I greatly appreciate everyones opinions, and it seems as if the VM2 is far and away the best bet.

I also asked to see what peoples opinions of holsters similar in design to the VM2 would be in general (referring to both the COM3 and a holster from http://www.kdholsters.com/iwb-defend.shtml the "Cochise Defender") as my logic was...."well, if they have the same design they should fit about the same." The only benefit to those would be less wait time and a cheaper price.

Apparently from this thread it seems as if the VM2 is the only holster to look at for IWB carry.

Thanks again..and any more opinions on the COM3 or the "Cochise Defender" would be more than appreciated.

-Richard
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#6]
You were wanting rough side out right?  Take a look at the Milt SS2.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You were wanting rough side out right?  Take a look at the Milt SS2.  hr

But I would prefer to spread the "footprint" of the gun out with wider loops..and am not such a big fan of the loops sitting on top of the holster as opposed to being out to the side.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: Just because things look alike does not mean that they will work or act alike. The straps on the HBE holster had a habit of folding out and the holster was uncomfortable.IT SUCKED

If that isn't descriptive enough I suggest you buy one and find out for yourself hr

Works for me. Thanks again, guys.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You were wanting rough side out right?  Take a look at the Milt SS2.  

But I would prefer to spread the "footprint" of the gun out with wider loops..and am not such a big fan of the loops sitting on top of the holster as opposed to being out to the side.

Gotcha
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have a COM3, but I carry a COM2 about daily for my 1911 5".  It's a very comfortable holster, I want to know why the VM2's are so much better.  I know they're great holsters, but so is my COM2.  When I buy me net handgun, I'll probably be ordering a VM2 just so I can compare.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't have a COM3, but I carry a COM2 about daily for my 1911 5".  It's a very comfortable holster, I want to know why the VM2's are so much better.  I know they're great holsters, but so is my COM2.  When I buy me net handgun, I'll probably be ordering a VM2 just so I can compare.

Can anyone further answer his questions/my questions as to what makes the Com3 an inferior holster to the VM2? (I am looking for anyone who can give some sort of details about the differences/feel)
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
There have been a few topics related to this and I will post them as I find them.
One on HS2000talk

ETA:  I have a COM3 w/shark trim on order with Eric at this time for my XDsub
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There have been a few topics related to this and I will post them as I find them.
One on HS2000talk

ETA:  I have a COM3 w/shark trim on order with Eric at this time for my XDsub

Thanks. I had seen that review before, but had since forgotten about it. The review seems pretty accurate, and the only thing that has changed is the wait time from HBE, which is now equal to if not more than Milt Sparks. (15-18 weeks)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
There are tons of posts on both holsters on just about every forum.  Try glocktalk, highroad and combatcarry.  Just do a search for each one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought I would update this thread.

I ordered a VM2 in cordovan for my XD9 through Lighting Arms (who had it in stock hough
Then, as I couldnt help from reading a ton of good reviews about CTACs, I decided I wouldnt buy a new one, but if I could find a good deal on a used one I would snap it up. Then about a week ago I found one for sale and ended up paying $42 shipped for a nearly-new CTAC. (instead of ~$80 new) Ironically, or maybe not, the guy who sold me the CTAC stopped using it in favor of a VM2.

Now I am just trying to test out each one to see which is staying and which is going. Thus far, I am still working on the cant adjustments for the CTAC (point to the VM2 for having the perfect cant to start with). The CTAC is much thinner than the VM2, which I like, and the Kydex hasnt yet bothered my skin (no undershirt), but Im still going to wait it out for awhille before I pick between them.

I eventually decided not to go with the Com3 as:

A) no one stocks it..so you are forced to wait the 18 weeks

B) Its kind of expensive for there not to be raving reviews about it like there were on every gun forum I checked for the VM2.

Thanks again for all of the responses.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I quit leather for IWB. Kydex is where it's at.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a CTAC awhile ago for my XD Sub Compact. I don't use it. Doesn't work well with my body. So it sits in the closet and gathers dust. I'm back to using a crappy $15 Uncle Mikes holster until i can find one to look at and try that works for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Interesting, I myself find kydex too uncomfortable for IWB, when I sweat, it has nowhere to disperse/absorb, so it ends up itchy and causes me to constantly touch my firearm, which is a no-no for CCW.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting, I myself find kydex too uncomfortable for IWB, when I sweat, it has nowhere to disperse/absorb, so it ends up itchy and causes me to constantly touch my firearm, which is a no-no for CCW.

Lots of difference between florida and kentucky climates too
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I just ordered the VMII a couple of days ago for my HKUSPc 40.  Seventeen and a half weeks to go, I can't stand it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Well...interesting thread.  Im Eric Larsen, or HBE that makes the Com 3.  I appreciate the comparison between the VM and the Com 3.  A better comparison would be between the Watch 6 from MS as its closer to the construction of the Com 3.

SGB, Hey....sorry the holster didnt meet your expectations.  I guarantee them to work like you want/need them too.  PERIOD!  If you had problems with your Com3,  you could have gotten in touch with me.  I can easily rectify the problems of the loops/arms folding over.  But unless I'm made aware of the problem I have no recourse in fixing it.  Its only right I get you the holster that works like you paid for.   If you could email, call or pm me I'll do what I can for you.

But ,unless you contact me, I have no way of making it right with you.  Im glad you posted this on this board.  At least I have to chance to take the first step.

Thanks for the kind words VW.....

You guys can all see how my holsters compare with others on most forums and on Rigrate.
I know they compare well with most other makers, but can make everyone happy all of the time. Thats what is great about making holsters and working with other makers.  If I cant help you then I can refer you to someone who very likely can.

Shoot well.........Eric Larsen/HBE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top