Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 5:59:02 PM EDT
I have heard from several people recently that there is a new law in affect in the state of  Texas that you no longer have to have a CHL to carry a handgun loaded and concealed in your vehicle. Is this true or just a redneck rumor? I heard that tonight from about the 10th person in the last week or so. Well ive already taken my class and sent my info. out to DPS in Austin but i never heard this in our class. Someone respond if they no if it is true or not. Thanx.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It's kinda true.

They problem in the past was that "traveling" wasn't defined.  Citizens would have to PROVE to the court they were traveling if they were found with a loaded handgun in the car.  If they couldn't theyd be arrested.

Now, the law places the burdon of proving if the person was traveling on the state.  Finally.  Innocent until proving guilty.  

However, not all police departments are following the new law.  Houston's PD said that they will still arrest all people found with a loaded handgun in their car w/o a CHL.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Well im just going to be patient and wait until my liscence arrives.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, just wait and throw a long gun in there instead.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it is true. However it is a defense to prosecution. You can still be arrested until such time as you 'proved' you were traveling (it is a lot clearer now).

I don't think a lot of officers are up to speed on it since it only passed this past Sept. So if caught expect to take a ride unless you are up to speed on the law and can convince a LEO and his supervisor.

Do a search in the Texas Home Town Forum here. It has been hashed out many times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top