Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2005 11:10:28 AM EDT
Ive already put in my paperwork for getting my carry license.  No where on the paperwork did it ask about a non felony criminal record.  I do have a DUI on my record from about 3 years ago.  Is that going to hurt me?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Misdemeanors other that assualts, DV, and resisting arrest have no bearing in Ohio.

Not to be a dick, Designate or call a cab.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Non issue for me anymore.  It was dumb mistake and one that I full accept all responsibility for.  And one that will NEVER happen again.  As a matter of fact, because of that DUI, I have seriously cut back on drinking in general.

ETA (Whats that stand for anyway) Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#3]
It all depends on your state laws.  I know of some states where DUI is an automatic disqualifier, but that may not be the case in your state.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I may be mistaken but in FL, a DUI is a felony.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I've known DUIers with permits here in FL.

Were you convicted of the DUI, or did you plead no contest and have adjudication witheld?

I was arrested and charged with felony assault but plead no contest, had adjudication witheld, served 1 year probation, and 3 years later got my CWL with no problems.  Have renewed twice since then with no issues.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#6]
We've had dudes in AZ get bounced for DUI, if I remember correctly.

But I'd make them tell you NO! anyway.  Then I'd go ahead and carry concealed like I was doing for years before I got my permit, fr00t!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  It was over (or almost) three years ago with no LE interaction since then.  I cant remember how it all went down, but I did lose my DL and have to go to classes.

Application is already in, so they have to tell me no or give me one, in 120 days!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]
A DUI can keep you from getting many jobs.  Some states will revoke profession

licenses for a DUI (like plumber, electrician, etc).  The FAA can yank your pilots license for a DUI.

I would not be suprised if states start revoking CCW for a DUI.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
in NC, ANY pending court case, dui LAST 2 YEARS, and most any thing else on the books and you can forget it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#10]
In PA I have a freind who had a DUI more than 10 years before he applied for a ccw and was denied because of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
check your state laws. were you convicted of a felony or misdemeanor? It may make a diffrence.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
In AZ you can not get a licence if; You are indited of, or have a felony, convicted of a misdomeanor or domestic violence. but I have a friend (and I use the term loosly) who got busted for disorderly conduct and got his licence. so It seems like its sort of luck of the draw and timing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#13]
In NC, DUI in the last 2 years, forget it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
It will vary state to state. Here in Michigan, I think two is a denial factor, one is not.

Quoted:
A DUI can keep you from getting many jobs.  Some states will revoke profession

licenses for a DUI (like plumber, electrician, etc).  The FAA can yank your pilots license for a DUI.

I would not be suprised if states start revoking CCW for a DUI.

The FAA will NOT pull a pilot's ticket for one DUI. Multiples are I think grounds for revocation (has to be x number of convictions within x number of years, I forget which numbers fill the x's). What will really get their attention however, is not telling them about it, or not promptly reporting an action against your drivers lic. for alcohol or drug related offenses. THAT can get you suspended or revoked, but I'd say we're venturing into an area for another forum (try Pilot's of America for example).

To get back on topic, your state may have a website with FAQ's that cover this very topic (Michigan does). If not, try the Hometown Forum and see what the locals say. And best of luck to you!!

T Bone (Detroit).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top