Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 10:27:49 AM EDT
Here in Phoenix, most CCWers carry strong side, IWB, behind the hip or small of the back.  I carried that way for years, but started carrying appendix when I was worked undercover.  Most UC cops I know carry the same way.  It offers a few advantages, such as better concealment, an easier draw, and the ability to bend over to pick things up without printing.  It also offers better weapon retention, though I'm not sure that one would ever be an issue.  The disadvantages are that the gun muzzles our most prized possession, and that there are virtually no holsters made for this type of carry.  Regarding the former, all I can say is make sure you know where your trigger finger is.

I looked for years for a holster, as I carried either a Glock 21 or a S&W 586 3".  I never found one, and had custom kydex holsters made.  

I'm not trying to convert or sell anyone on this type of carry, but I did want to talk about a holster option for those who carry this way and have resorted to just tucking it in the pants.  I've been trying out a holster for a week now, and it's simply the best holster I've ever worn.  For those of you who do want to carry appendix style, look into Garrity's Gunleather's Changeling.  It's an IWB that is adjustable for cant, offering the ability to carry tradition FBI cant, vertical, or crossdraw.  Most combination holsters are mediocre at best, but this one has no flaws.  The adjustment is rock solid, construction is peerless, and it's still thin.  

www.garritysgunleather.com/

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Just want to understand--you're saying you carry about the 1 to 2 o'clock position?  If so, what happens when you bend over--do you get stabbed in the thigh or worse yet, the boys?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry my G36 that way
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand how you can sit like that. I'm just having a hard time imagining it. Is it comfortable? More so than 4:00 position carry?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't understand how you can sit like that. I'm just having a hard time imagining it. Is it comfortable? More so than 4:00 position carry?

Huge +1!  Maybe it will work with my S&W Mod 60 with a 2" barrel, but it still sounds uncomfortable, and I definitely can't see that with even my 1911 Officer's model.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't do it with my full size 1911a1, I'll rack myself
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
This mode of carry is very doable with a G27. +1 on the ability to bend over without printing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I wanna see that BHP.

As for appendix carry - yeah - it is good. I think it would be better with something that had a short frame and short slide - officers model for example.

Ialso  think carry position is kinda like style or fashion - comes and goes . For a long time appendix carry was very popular in IPSC because of preceived draw speed. Even today many IPSC shooter still use a modifed appendix carry position.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just want to understand--you're saying you carry about the 1 to 2 o'clock position?  If so, what happens when you bend over--do you get stabbed in the thigh or worse yet, the boys?  

Man, I forgot about this thread.  Yes, I carry at the 1 o'clock position, and I'm right handed.  Normally I carry a Glock 21.  It's not an issue for me, but when I get to a 5" barrelled 1911, it starts to become a little akward.  The gun definitely pokes into my thigh, but it's better than printing when carrying in the 4 o'clock position and bending over, at least for me.  

I will say there is one serious drawback I forgot to mention.  My friends coined a phrase called "gun head".  It's when you sit down in a vehicle, the muzzle is on top of the jewels, and your gut pushes the grip down as you sit.  You will see stars as the gun muzzle crushes your nuts.  I've done it twice.  You would think I would have learned the first time.  

Regardless, as far sas comfort goes, as long as I don't do the gun head thing, it's more comfortable for me.  I'm not fat, nor am I skinny, but I can imagine this would not be comfortable for someone who has a large gut, has a gun with sharp edges, etc.  It is more comfortable for me than 4 o'clock, as I have a bad back that does not like a gun back there.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not trying to convert anyone.  It's just something that seems to become a natural way to carry for UC cops, as concealment becomes more important than speed of draw, comfort, or other issues.  It worked well enough for me that I still carry this way, and have no problem carrying full sized guns.  The point is to highlight a great holster maker for those who do carry appendix style, as it;s very hard to find a holster maker who makes this stle of holster.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I know guys who carry GLOCK 26s, Kahrs, and J-frames like that. How you could carry anything larger in that position with any degree of comfort is beyond me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry at 4 o'clock and it's very comfortable for my body type. I've tried the 1-2 o'clock positions with my G36 and I see how it could be very comfortable and have many benefits, however I think I would need a smaller pistol for it to work for me.

While it was in that position I tried bending, streching, etc.... and sitting (doh!). Definitely need a smaller pistol to carry there

BTW, how do you like your leather? Looks like it's well made...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know guys who carry GLOCK 26s, Kahrs, and J-frames like that. How you could carry anything larger in that position with any degree of comfort is beyond me.

I'm Asian, I have a lot of empty space down there.

Seriously though, in answer to your question BLY, I love it.  I cannot say enough good about the quality of the product.   I've owned Davis, Blocker, Milt Sparks, and Kramer, and this stuff is a cut above in quality (I'm not putting the others down, but this guy's stuff is that good).
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#12]
That's good to hear, I'm looking into the holster "Incognito IWB" w/suede backing right now.
I have a cheap holster that has a suede backing and it's more comfortable than bare leather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top