Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 5:41:44 PM EDT
  I was talking to my cousin the other day who is 19, Really nice kid adn we got into the conversation of CCW and how he wanted one because his dad and mother both had one. Well I told him I didnt think he could get one because he is 19 but I remember now you dont have to be 21 to buy a handgun. So do you for sure have to be 21 to get a CCW in OR?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#2]
he can own a handgun, he just has to be 21 to carry it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow ok guys thanks.....I just find it strange you can own a handgun but not carry it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, i find it strange myself.  5 more months.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wow ok guys thanks.....I just find it strange you can own a handgun but not carry it.

Here in California, when I was 19, I could buy a Ruger 10/22 but coudn't buy the .22 bullets because they could be used in pistols also and I would need to be 21 to buy them. Yay for laws!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:46:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It depends on the state. I know Indiana issues CCWs at 18, and I thought there was another state or two that does.  

Check your state laws to be sure if its 18 or 21.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Oregon too and I turn 21 in two weeks.  About a month ago I bought a handgun in a private party sale having been told by a cop that though you must be 21 to buy one from a store or dealer you can buy one from a person if your at least 18.  After I bought the gun I took it to the police station near my house and had them run the serieal number to make sure it was clean.  The gun was clean but the cop who ran the number told me that it was infact illeagal for me to have purchased the gun at all.  He said that if you are under 21 in Oregon you can not buy a handgun or handgun ammo period.  BUT you can posses a handgun as long as it is not concealed.  The funny part is that these two cops work for the same department.  

I do know for a fact that at least in Oregon you cannot get your CCW untill you are 21.

Code3
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]
yeah, 21, it a bummer....I think theres only a couple of states that issue 18+ permits. 1 month till 21 for me, been waiting 6 long years!  

There is an option of open carry to 18+ crowd. It can be city regulated though so you have to check it out everywhere you go. Also cant carry in ORS defined "public buildings" I havent opened carried much in public much but would like to. However weapons rentention would be a big factor for me while being in a wheelchair.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#9]
check out www.packing.org for a great compendium of all the states laws regarding concealed carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top