Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 8:12:34 PM EDT
So you got a winter coat on. What's the best way to carry and have easy access to your gun if you need it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I say any way you can. Winter Jackets are generally big and puffy. Should be able to hide a howitzer if you need to.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#2]
During my advanced tactical pistol class it was snowing.  I was wearing an underarmor compression shirt, a t-shirt, a sweatshirt and a heavy jacket zipped up.  was drawing from my comp-tac IWB rig without issues.  Just grab a handful of clothing and pull straight up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
this is a case where i would seriously consider a snubby revolver in a pocket holster.  alot of those winter jackets have a cargo pocket along w/ a hand warmer type.  i'd then have my main handgun in a IWB.

or you could use velcro or something similar to keep the top or bottom of the jacket together so that you can access a shoulder rig or cross draw quickly by ripping the velcro open.

that's one advantage that i have here in OR.  winter's are pretty mild in this area.  i just leave my coat open in the front during most situations.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry the same way (strong sied belt holster) winter or summer. If I really need to draw my weapon RFN, I don't want to have to remember which holster I'm using today.

Of course it helps living in AZ where the sun always shines .
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have this in brown, navy, forest green, gray, and charcoal. Versatile enough to wear with jeans or wool dress slacks. Makes for an excellent conceal garment when combined with an IWB holster. A bit on the expensive side, however they wear well and look great. They definitely don’t scream ccw.

http://www.filson.com/20.HTM

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I carry the same way (strong sied belt holster) winter or summer. If I really need to draw my weapon RFN, I don't want to have to remember which holster I'm using today.

That was my first thought, also.  Not to mention that when you go indoors, that jacket will probably have to come off or be unzipped.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Prefferably, irrespective of the weather, I like using my OTB (on the belt) holster. It is way more comfortable than IWB. However, because of concealability, I generally carry using an IWB holster (in my case, a Comp Tac C.T.A.C.) in the summer. In the winter (when wearing a coat/jacket/parka), I generally carry using my Mitch Rosen OTB holster (a 5JR). Unless it is downright cold, I leave the garment open so that I can access my pistol easily, yet maintain concealment.

As I see it, the fastest draw is when the gun is already in your hand; thus, the issue of situational awareness comes into play.

Yes, there will be a time when you do get surprised and it will not matter what method of carry you are using. However, for those 99 out of 100 times that you can "see trouble coming," get yourself away from the potential danger, OR, get your hand on the weapon (NOT necessarily drawing it from the holster). If you do this, then the type/style of carry is not an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top