Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 7:03:33 PM EDT
Just trying to figure out what I want to buy.  Right now I have a P22, which is fun when it works, but I wouldn't trust it to protect my dog much less myself.  I want to buy something decent, since I don't *plan* on buying another gun for awhile.  I've narrowed it down to a Sig P228 (for 590), a Glock 19 (for 500), a Springfield XD (for 450), or a Kahr P9 (for 570).  I'm not the biggest guy, about 5'8 weighing in at about 150.  I basically want the gun to be reliable (#1), accurate, easy to maintain, and safe.

Any recommendations?  Can't find any places that I could try one out at so I'm pretty much hoping I like what I get.

ETA:  Those prices seem reasonable?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
my vote for Glock or Sig.
If weight is a issue get the Glock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Weight is not so much an issue.  It will probably be in my glove box most of the time since I drive A LOT.  Any time I would carry it would be a quick trip to the store or something.  I can't carry at work, and most of my fun time involves drinking, so that is a no-no as well.  I'm more interested it what works, what conceals easy, what works, what's accurate...oh, and what works.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock is accurate, super reliable and simple to clean pistol. Very easy to field strip and incredibly easy to disassemble for a thorough cleaning. Tough finish on the slide too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#4]
So if you will carry some time it will be a run in and get something in a store!

The best bet would be a gun in a pocket holster you can put in a pocket quickly and then take it off again quickly and easly.  Suggestions:  S&W J-frame or Tarus 85 or Kahr or Kel-tec P11, PA3T or P32.

I use a P32 for my pocket BUG gun and works well for me and a S&W single stack 9mm for a hip holster carry when I have approperate carry coverage.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can only own one handgun for a multitude of self-defense purposes (home defense, car, on person) the glock 19 is the way to go.  Super reliable 15+1 9mm with the ability to take a mounted light and as much neglect and abuse as you could possibly dish out unto a firearm.  If price is an issue, gen 3 factory refurbs and used guns (if they are stock) are just as reliable as the new ones and available for $400 and less (with the night sights which are a must).

It is the gun sitting next to me right now.  It is the gun I and countless others rely on to defend ourselves 24/7.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
How about the Kahr P9?  Is that a pretty reliable/accurate weapon?  I think it would be easier to conceal since I ain't exactly the biggest guy on the block.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a G19 and I couldn't be happier with it.  It is by far the best and most reliable handgun I have ever used.  I am the exact same height and weight as you and I can conceal the 19 perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How about the Kahr P9?  Is that a pretty reliable/accurate weapon?  I think it would be easier to conceal since I ain't exactly the biggest guy on the block.

My buddy is 5'9" 155 and conceals a Glock 19 on his hip and a glock 26 on his ankle every single day.  Get a good holster and belt, you will have no problems.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out a Sig P239... But if you the best try a HK USPC.. Shoot one and you will want nothing else...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I noticed you live in OH with our screwed up gun laws.  That glove box must have a lock on it.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I carry and XD .40 Subcompact daily and have no issues with it. Sometimes it takes me awhile to find where to hide it with a new holster though. Otherwise the gun just disappears from sight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I greatly prefer Sigs, but from the sounds of what you want to with it, maybe the Glock 17 or 19 is best for you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I noticed you live in OH with our screwed up gun laws.  That glove box must have a lock on it.....

My glove box does not have a lock.  What else would I have to do in order to keep it in my car?

BTW, has anyone ever found the Glock's lack of a manual safety to be a problem?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:57:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

None of my firearms have safeties and I've only had a couple NDs.  No serious damage, though I scared the shit out of the cat once.
Seriously though, I look at the lack of manual safety as an advantage and was one of the reasons I went with Glock.  However, finger discipline should be your safety as with any other firearm.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all of the input.  I was about to get a Glock, but I thought I'd be better off with a safety + double action for the first shot since I've never carried a gun before in my life (aside from empty w/ no mag on my way to the range with my .22).  So I went with a Sig 228.  I liked the grip better than a glock as well as the operation.  I ordered it yesterday and should have it by next week.  

Thanks again for all the help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My glove box does not have a lock.  What else would I have to do in order to keep it in my car?

Just got done with the CCW, as far as glove box goes, if you keep it concealed on your person than you are complying with the law, if it is not on your person then it must be 'stored' seperately from the ammo/ accessible only upon exiting the car.   look on ebay for CCW car boxes, they are nice cheap lock boxes that you can put under your seat that attach to the car seat frame.

hope that helped
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Get the Glock19, thats what I carry. It is light and easy to conceal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Kahr P9 will be the easiest to carry and conceal of those choices by far.  

But the others will be better all around weapons, mainly because of higher ammo capacity and slightly longer useful range.  But they feel HUGE compared to the P9 when on you.

If you want the ultimate in 9mm conceal carry, look at the PM9.  In 10 years of CCW it is the best thing I have found and I've tried a lot of gun/holster combos.  However, the P9 is not that much bigger or heavier than the PM9 and allows a full grip.

If you are just going to keep it in the glove box, then any of those choices are good ones.  However, I can shoot the Sig best of them all.  I think the Glock is probably the least safe of the bunch as far as ease of a trigger snag pulling the trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top