Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 2:42:36 PM EDT
I need a gun for carry. I am 5'8 245 lbs I have a good size beer belly, I am a large framed person. I wear button up dress shirts tucked in and khakis. I need something that is not going to be that noticable.  I am familiar with guns, I shoot idpa and do tactical entry runs. I familiar with all that kind of stuff. With all the firearms out there I need some help making a decision so can someone give me a opinion. Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Based on what you are wearing I would go for a pocket gun.  Example would be a Kel-tec P32 or P3AT, S&W and Tarus J frames and some others in a pocket holster.

I have the P32 in a pocket holster and I also have an IWB holster for it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a size you like and then look for a gun that fits your hands.

Otherwise we are guessing at what will fit you better......kind of like trying to pick out clothes for a woman you don't know or have even seen......you'll be nothing but wrong
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Find shirts that will look acceptable untucked. Not only will you find this mode of dress comfortable but you will increase your choices for CCW weapons and holsters sigificantly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Find a gun that fits you and you like to shoot, then get yourself a Milt Sparks VMII with Kydex Clips.. I carry a USPC 40 in one and it rocks..

Off Milt Sparks website: When considering purchasing the VM-2 to use primarily as a tuckable holster, use common sense in weapon selection for this mode of carry. Thick, full size, duty-type, semi-auto handguns and revolvers are pushing the limit of practicality of that design feature. On the other hand, the Browning Hi-Power, 1911 and other similar type pistols even though they can be considered large, conceal easily under a tucked in shirt because of their flatness.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it required that you wear a tucked in shirt?  If so, can you wear a sport coat?  If so, I would suggest a medium sized gun in an OWB holster.  Guys with guts can get pinched pretty good by IWB holsters.

If you can't go untucked and a sport coat is out of the question, you are pretty limited.  I'm in that exact position and I work in a place where it would be VERY bad if I got spotted.  I am in close contact with co-workers and customers daily.  My solution is a 3" 1911 pistol in a Smart Carry rig.  I wasn't able to use the SC in the manner it was designed.  Hanging straight in front of me was very uncomfortable and prevented me from bending or even sitting for more than a couple of minutes.  I shifted it to the right where it is now over my strong side thigh.  Due to the short barrel and stubby grip, it fits nicely and doesn't print.  Even people who know its there can't find it.

My other carry option is equally obscure, but I can only use it when the weather is cool.  Its essentially a belly band holster worn up high on the chest.  Its made for Action-Direct and again, the short and light pistol disappears in it.  This rig gets very hot and scratchy on hot and humid days.  

Both of these rigs suffer from a common problem.  They are hard to access in a hurry and require two hands.  The chest rig is easier and faster and spare ammo is much easier to get at.  The SC rig is more comfortable.  Both require a VERY light weight and compact gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry tucked the most of the time.  I tried the bellyband and Smart Carry but really did not like either.

Right now I use a Tucker Cover Up Plus and have found it to be very comfortable and concealable.

Choose what handgun you will, but make sure to get a good belt and holster.

Seydou
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top