Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2002 10:20:04 AM EDT
Ok, I've carried a few times now in limited situations. To the office. Straight back home. Not going anywhere except through the drivethrough. Today is the first day I've actually carried actually going out to eat, to the store, etc..

So far the day has gone something like:
Ok no problems so far.
Am I showing?
Ok, try to think about work instead of worrying if I'm printing.
Whups, 3 year old nephew at the office for a while - someone who has reason to hug me, and he can't reach but so far.

Out to lunch now.. Woah 3 cops at the table next to us. Not breaking any laws, but still.. yikes. I don't have to announce myself unless he has a professional interest in me.

while (in.public) { WorryAboutPrinting();}

If I could just stop this dang nervous twitch to keep pulling my shirt tail down...
Aiiieee when is the day gonna be over. Does it ever get easier? They've done a darn good job of reeducation when even die hard political gun nuts feel this way when legally armed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never carried in public (SC is a shall-issue state by law, but the state police control the process so it's more of a just- maybe system without a way to appeal).  I'd probably feel like you if I did carry.  It would be a nervous experience.

If I could just stop this dang nervous twitch to keep pulling my shirt tail down...

Get out of that habit.  The movement draws attention, and it might make someone wonder what you're trying to hide.

They've done a darn good job of reeducation when even die hard political gun nuts feel this way when legally armed.

Very true.  I don't even feel comfortable buying ammo.  Buying it at Wal-Mart (there are no local stores to buy from) isn't a comfortable experience.z
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

<points & laughs> Ha ha, you're a geek!

Oh wait.

So am i!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It does get better/easier.  Although, I've been carrying since June? I think, and I still have the "twitch".  I only do it when I crouch or reach now.  Twice I have caught my shirt riding a little too high on my Beretta.  So, it isn't all for not.  I think I may just keep the "twitch" when ever sitting/crouching/reach/windblowing(caught me last night)woops!

Good news is I now feel naked if I forget to carry!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The other biggie I forgot - first time using a public restroom while packing. No need to pee, I think I'll just sweat it out. You know - them half inch wide cracks on either side of the stall doors are enough for someone to see through.... Never mind common sense. This IS a big minus for heavier guns though - when you undo your buckle - it wants to run away.

My officemate (bro) has gone home for the day, and I don't think he noticed. He wouldn't be offended if he knew (though he might think it weird), so he coulda just kept it to himself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Twice I have caught my shirt riding a little too high on my Beretta.

When I've worn around the house - that's not been so much a problem as draping - where my shirt manages to slip between the gun and my body - making it obvious that SOMETHING about the right size and shape for a gun is in the most obvious place to carry a gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
ORM-D,
Yep, it'll get easier.  Wait'll your holster starts creaking; leather creak.  "Damn, can everyone hear that?"  Probably not.  But I'd just tell 'em it's my shoes if necessary.  One of the most vulnerable times for exposure for me is when I get out of the car.  Guess the seatbelt and the way I sit just makes my shirt tail go for my shoulders.  I also buy "tall" shirts just for that purpose.  I also heard somewhere about a guy who sewed coins into the hem of his shirt.  That's a little extreme if ya ask me.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah- try (borrow) a Milt Sparks Watch Six.
The two well spaced belt loops pull the grip in close to your bod.  Best holster I've ever had.  But takes longer than others to put on.  Minor inconvenience to me.  You mentioned "heavier guns".  I carry a full size .45 and found if I balance the load- pistol on one side and two mags on the other- things ride better.

Just hope I get my permit some day!

Edited 'cause I didn't know whether to use an "0" or the letter "O" for the icon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ORM-D,
Y  I also heard somewhere about a guy who sewed coins into the hem of his shirt.  That's a little extreme if ya ask me.  

that's an old FBI trick, personally, if it works, hey, what the hell.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Serpico40,
yeah thinking about it it makes sense.  But that shirt sure would make a lot of noise in the dryer.  Plus- would a dry cleaners have a tough time?

Hey how's Switzerland?  Sorry, just had to do it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Home! Wheew.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a gun/holster combo that fits!
I can actually go shirtless for brief periods if I hook my right thumb in my waistband just right so my right hand hangs just so.

I some times forget that I am packing, thats how comfortable I am with it. Its just like any other piece of clothing, If it dont fit, try something else!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Guess we just lucky in Tennessee. We don't have to worry about printing or enven showing. heck, it's legal for a change. I have a hand gun carry permit...not a concealed carry permit.

We do not have to announce either.

It does make you feel a little silly to wear the holster all the time...like in McDonalds, so I just leve my heater in the locked car unless I think i am likely to need it......I know that could come at any time but some times are more likely than others.

PigPen

PigPen
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm still waiting on my conceal carry permit to come in, but I open carry just about everywhere I go.  Knowing most of the LEOs in the area helps too.  They usually just wave and drive on.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm still waiting on my conceal carry permit to come in, but I open carry just about everywhere I go.  Knowing most of the LEOs in the area helps too.  They usually just wave and drive on.

Mine is here, actually arrived 3 weeks ago, but forgot to go thru my mail! I almost tossed it in the trash!!
Applied on June 10th - right at 2 months, not bad turn around!

I carried for the first time yesterday, Sig P226...I'm going to look for something a bit smaller for non-jacket weather.

It was..strange, it'll take some getting used to.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Good subject.

Anyhow, I've carried most of my adult life.  You don't want to ever get to the point that you forget about the weapon, but if you have a good pistol belt (-KEY- issue!), it'll get to the point that it stays put, and doesn't bother you as much.

I have an Aker pistol belt that I've worn for over 10 years, and it has a spring steel insert.  No sag at all, and it distributes the weight properly.

As far as making a head call is concerned, if you  hold the pistol while you are unfastening your belt, and pull the right side of your trousers over and place it on the inside of your thigh, it'll hold in place.  This was rather difficult for me, as I use the FBI carry (just to the rear of 90 degrees).  It will take some getting used to.  It's easier if you don't wear jeans.  I always wear pleated trousers.  

One of the people that I drove for years was surprised that I was armed, when someone mentioned it in conversation.  On my belt I carried a SIG 239 9mm pistol in an IWB holster by FIST, 2 mags, a Surefire flashlight, keys, cuffs, phone, pager, and a small Yaseui (SP?) radio.  I'm a little larger than average, but you'd be surprised what people will overlook.

When I'm in public, I'm generally looking at people's faces, not their beltlines.  If they look nervous, THEN I go for the beltline.  Get used to the fact that you are now able to protect yourself and others, and RELAX!.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]
When I arrived in AZ I open carried until my CCW arrived in the mail. I have probably spent over $ 900.00 on belts and custom holsters since then for concealed carry. You should never forget that you are armed but you do get comfortable with being armed. It just takes a little time before you won’t leave home without it. Not because you are scared or paranoid but because things just don’t in your would without it.  

THISISME
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]
OK new problem. You're out to dinner. Booth is not an option. How do you keep from printing when you sit in open backed chairs?
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Carry at 3 o'clock.

Or any other time you wish!

I know, I know: bad joke.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
OK new problem. You're out to dinner. Booth is not an option. How do you keep from printing when you sit in open backed chairs?

Ya know, it really isn't a problem. I have never been hassled when I was wearing concealed or openly. People just assume you aren't breaking any laws, which I wasn't, when you are carrying and relaxed with it. They see a gun and most often assume I am LEO. If they ask I tell them that I am not. I have never been approached by a cop either for having a weapon either openly carried in civillian dress (when I was LEO) or concealed. It is a non-issue, at least down south. Maybe things are different in yankee-land where things seem to be facist, but so far so good. Just be comfortable with how you are, and others won't get tense from looking at your body language.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#22]
What about the "Fat Suit" carry?
You know, what they use in the movies to make someone look heavy.
Customize the gut area to hold 2-3 pistols and a bunch of mags, nobody would even know!

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had my concealed carry permit for seven years now. My carry weapon of choice is a Colt 1991A1 Compact (that has been tweaked by Wilson Combat Arms). My favorite carry rig is the Fobus holster and two mag holder. My mags are stagger loaded with 195 gr. FMJ and 230 gr. Hydra-Shok.

The hardest decision, with regards to carrying concealed, is the myriad of different ways that you can carry your pistol. I think weather is the factor that has the most to do with figuring out what is the most comfortable way for you to carry your concealed firearm.

In Cheyenne, Wyoming, during the summer, my choices are a Bianchi pouch or a loose fitting t-shirt, with my Fobus rig. The t-shirt is loose enough as to not profile the pistol. During the winter, I go with my Fobus rig or a Galco horizontal-hold shoulder rig.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know how many times I get asked if I'm LEO (something I'm working towards) or military (something I was).  Most of the time, it isn't the gun that prompts the question.  That's usually something that takes a second for them to notice.  Maybe I need to grow my hair out like it was in high school . . ..  I haven't quite decided which gun to carry when my permit does come through, but I'm leaning on my Glock 32 as far as concealed carry goes.  Anyone have experience with carrying something like that concealed?  Holster/belt/accessory suggestions are always welcome.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Soon it'll be like your wallet...you won't leave home without it!
Then again I only carry 4 times a year: Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I live in the gun unfriendly NE and have carried for a carear as an LEO without ever having been challenged or questioned.  I have never really concerned myself about "printing" and merely insured the weapon was not in plain site.  On those invariable occaisions where my weapon was accidently exposed, I calmly covered it.  This has happened in front of other cops who did not know me etc..  but did not even raise their eye brows.  In fact on the occaissions where I have noticed others carrying a weapon, I have done the same (nothing) unless it was so abudantly clear that it was bg that I had to act.  If you actlike you are 100 % you will most likely be treated that way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
ORM-D,

You seem overly concerned with printing. Tell us a little more about what you are carrying and how, maybe we can suggest some improvements or tips.

You've got to remember that you, your clothes and your equipment are really a carry "system". It's all got to work together.

You: are you slim, medium or heavy? Short or tall? Nervous or calm (well we know the last answer :-). If you are slim you can carry inside the waistband which is a great concealment method (my choice)

Your clothes: I'll use myself as an example--in the summer I wear my shirt tails out (occasionally in with a belly band holster). In the spring/fall/winter I wear light vests (like from L.L. Bean, etc.), or a sweater or fleece. If you wear a suit or sports coat then everything becomes easy (no real reason for suit coats except to hide weapons IMO :-) The biggest improvement I made to my "system" was to buy all my pants 1" larger in the waist, which made a huge comfort difference for me. As someone already mentioned, a good belt. If you want something strong but dressy, Galco or Mitch Rosen are good choices.

Your equipment: smaller guns are easier to conceal (duh :-). Kydex is thinner than leather, etc., etc. Trade-offs must be made.

Keep carrying, see what works for you, don't be afraid to print ("That lump, oh that's just my cell phone..."). Experiment. You know you have found something that works for you when your entire wardrobe has changed and you've got that box in the basement with a dozen holsters you don't wear anymore.

Dead give-aways: the fishing/photographer vest on days over 75 degrees (actually, almost anytime), the loose short sleeve button front shirt over a t-shirt, fanny packs, leaving your jacket or coat on when you would normally take it off (except suits or sports coats). But only other CCW folks and spies notice :-) Most cops are not interested in guns and would never notice, just like most people.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Week 2

I didn't realize how "huggy" my family is. I just about had to arm wrestle granny to keep her hand of the gun when I picked her up to take her to the beach.

I HAVE to figure out a workable tucked tail solution. I can't go everywhere dressed like a slob. And the shirt tucker is a no go - the 2" belt clip is just too obvious. Sorry Jason.

Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#29]

You seem overly concerned with printing. Tell us a little more about what you are carrying and how, maybe we can suggest some improvements or tips.

Dead give-aways:...the loose short sleeve button front shirt over a t-shirt,

I've carried at work about a week and on a road trip, a few shopping trips. Nobody has seemed to notice, not even when I thought my brother (office mate) had me figured out once. So I'm much much less worried about it now. Perhaps you're reading too much into it - the thread was from my first day packing.

I have been wearing short sleeve button down shirts, but no t-shirt underneath. The tails are really too long to wear "out" in anything outside of home/shopping/family/work. I need more polo shirts, but I can't seem to find anything thick enough to look nice - and I  still need to be able to handle the slacks/shirt/tie situation without a coat (at least until winter. I'll figure out something about the time sweaters get here.)

As far as particulars - I'm about as average as you can get. 5'11" about 20lb overweight, all at the gut line. I'm carrying a Makarov almost exclusively. I have a Commander I might carry if I thought I could, but it IS heavy, and a bit large to be on the waist band when sitting. I've decided to, but have not yet bought a Kel-Tec P-32. So right now it's just the Makarov, in a Falco IWB holster. It sits a tad high for my taste sometimes, and the leather makes it a bit thicker than it needs to be imho. At least it doesn't squawk like their shoulder holster does.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Open Carry is even scarier...because everyone immediately knows you're packing. I was recently in a state that allowed open carry. I decided to try it out. Walked into Wal-Mart with a .45 strapped to my hip. Felt like everyone was looking at me.

For concealed carry that is truly hidden, you might consider an inside pants holster or an ankle holster and a compact pistol.

The ankle holster with a compact pistol doesn't show at all. But, it does tend to put a weight on the leg...I prefer the inside pants because that keeps it close to my body and covers most of it with my jeans. My shirt covers the rest.

For a girl/woman, just cover a leg holster with a Full-Length Skirt or Dress. Or, if wearing pants or shorts...follow the same methods a man would.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I just got my CCW a month or 2 ago here in FL. Unfortunately, I can't carry much because I am a college student and carry on campus isn't allowed. But I have carried out shopping at various stores.

I have a 92FS. It's a little big and heavy, but I can't afford another gun right now. I carry it in a Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster, the one with belt loops, a clip-on IWB clip, and velcro retention strap (which I don't use). I carry IWB at about 2 o'clock. I am a fairly small guy, about 140lb and 5'5 or so. I wear a long, untucked t-shirt, and nobody seems to notice so far. It really doesn't print much at all, and the weight doesn't bother me. I don't even have to loosen my belt. I kinda like the front position, since it doesn't print if I sit, bend over, or reach for something high. But the size is kinda uncomfortable.

I tried one of the Uncle Mike's IWB holsters, which is much thinner, but it held the gun much higher and at a forward cant, which didn't work with the front carry, though it works great with a jacket. It's also really fast. I also don't have the money to try a dozen holsters and change my wardrobe around, though it would be nice to buy some more long shirts.

I also have a little twitch to pull the front of my shirt down or away from my body when I carry. For what it's worth, I already don't leave the house without a pocket knife. I notice lots of other people on campus and around the city with them, and nobody seems to notice, or care if they do. I also ponder scenarios a bit. What if the guy in front of me in line tries to rob the place? Do I smoke him? What will everyone else do if I do? What could happen to me?

Actually, now that I think about it, I did have an odd experience while carrying. I was walking out of a Winn-Dixie with a small bag, when this guy comes up to me panhandling. He was polite and all, but the first thing he said spooked me a little: "Hey, don't shoot me or anything, but..." I didn't say anything in response to that. Did he notice I was carrying, or was he just saying that? If he did notice, why? Why look for people who are carrying if you plan on politely asking for money? Very strange...

Oh and BTW,
also works as
while (in.public) WorryAboutPrinting();
Fewer keystrokes, ya know.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Guess we just lucky in Tennessee. We don't have to worry about printing or enven showing. heck, it's legal for a change. I have a hand gun carry permit...not a concealed carry permit.

We do not have to announce either.

The flipside is we have quite a few places that are off limits--anyplace that sells alcohol for on site consumption, for example.

While I don't advocate people carry in bars, it seems rather idiotic that you have to leave your weapon in the parking lot if you want to go into the Olive Garden.

Pigpen, you a TFA member?  If not, check out www.tennesseefirearms.com

It does make you feel a little silly to wear the holster all the time...like in McDonalds

I don't feel silly at all.  Recall, a few years ago in new york city, the staff of a Wedny's was butchered during a robbery.

Fast food restaurants aren't any safer than anyplace else.

so I just leve my heater in the locked car unless I think i am likely to need it

Of course, you're FAR more likely to need it when you're NOT expecting it.  

If you actually believe you are going to need your weapon to defend your life when entering a situation, I think you might want to ask yourself why, exactly, you're about to get into that situation to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah I agree, when my wife and I got our permits we both kind of went "Uh, so what do we do now?" I have discovered that what I thought would be my ultimate carry gun(Glock 19)after packing it around all day, became my "screw it I'll  leave it in the truck gun"(I'm an outside sales rep who's on the road ten hours a day, and I'm not sure how my customers would react yet! LOL) I have been slowly downsizing into something that I don't mind carrying. The only thing I have figured out so far is that if the guns too big, you probably wont pack it, and what you do decide to pack make sure it's comfortable. My wife carries a S&W 337 in her waistband all day long. I've offered to buy her a holster but thats what works for her! Theres my 2 cents worth!
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 4:55:16 AM EDT
[#35]
ORM-D,

OK, sounds like a very good start. Smaller pistol, IWB holster of reasonable quality, etc.

Some suggestions for you:

Get a custom Kydex IWB holster made for your Makorov, plenty of good companies out there that will do that for you (Blade-tech, Comp-tac, etc.) I'm partial to the Blad-tech snap-loops myself, I don't really like the belt-loops or the J-hooks because they have less give. This will be great for fall/winter wear.

If you don't want anything to show on your belt, you're kind of stuck with a belly band or Thunderwear. I sometimes use a Gould & Goodrich belly band, with the band holster positioned right where I put the regular IWB rig. That way my draw is still the same one that's been practiced thousands of times at the range.

Patagonia makes (IMHO) the finest polo shirts on the planet. Pricey, but they wear like iron and drape great.

Hug countermeasures :-) include blading your support side to the hugger, and bending down to hug shorter people so their hands tend to go up above your waist. All my liberal friends are big huggers :-) and the above strategies have been 100% successful so far.

You are already looking at the smaller pistols. You might consider a mini-Glock as well to get into a more major caliber (some feel it takes more practice to shoot it, but well worth the time either way).

Lose a few of those 20 lbs and all your pants will have that extra inch of room that makes IWB carry (or the belly band equiv.) so much more comfortable!

Link Posted: 9/3/2002 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Re: belly bands

I thunk some more on the belly band stuff, and ordered a SmartCarry holster, I'll see how it turns out. THAT should put a stop to the hug problem. Given my religious convictions, by the time anyone finds out, it's too late for her to back out of the deal.

I wondered about the belly band worn strong side as well. Actually I had begun to ponder maybe rigging up some tailoring for an internal fastening system in Rube Goldberg fashion for a hidden IWB holster, but I finally realized that it was fundamentally no different from the belly band, and if anything, inferior to the BB.

Link Posted: 9/4/2002 3:43:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Yup, that'll work. But be careful with the Smartcarry/Thunderwear, and certain types of belly bands. Those types of holsters do not do as good job of protecting the trigger and covering the trigger guard when drawing from or recovering back to the holster. While you don't want to be shooting yourself period, you really don't want to be shooting yourself there!
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 4:06:04 AM EDT
[#38]
And when you go to the beach a small camera case works very well...
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Guns and salt water? No thanks.
Just where do you go to the beach anyway?
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I haven't quite decided which gun to carry when my permit does come through, but I'm leaning on my Glock 32 as far as concealed carry goes.  Anyone have experience with carrying something like that concealed?  Holster/belt/accessory suggestions are always welcome.

Glock 26, riding in a Foubus works well with me during hot weather. Since your from GA and I grew up there I know how hot its gets, and leather doesnt hold up well to heat and sweat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#41]
When I went through my CCW training I was surprised to find out what was considered concealed. Basically I was told that If the whole gun was not visible it is concealed. So I never worry about a print.I Carry a Kel tec p32 in my back pocket during light dress weather. And a Smith&Wesson sw40f under the arm in jacket weather. I don't care who sees my gun or the print of it. I've been followed around Wal-Mart by security, but never approached. I've seen people (usually leo or military) give me the once over and move on. I figure I have a permit and my background has been well checked, And found to be sain and not likely to commit a crime. Therefor I was given my right to carry a gun back, And most people know I do.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Here in Oklahoma if any of the gun can be seen, it ain't concealed.  If it ain't concealed, you ain't legal.  "Printing" is still concealed but considered "bad form."

I started out carrying a Smith & Wesson Model 13 3" HB/RB in a strongside Bucheimer FBI thumbbreak holster under a jacket or my "antique" photographer vest.  That got kind of heavy so I went to a stainless Taurus 85 UL.  That lasted long enough for me to wonder about carrying a 5 shot .38. (Sue me.  I spent 20 years in the Army on M48/M60A1/M60A3 tanks.  I still miss my .50 cal.)  I now carry a black Kahr K9 in a Comp-Tac IWB Kydex holster under a light jacket or, as my wife calls it, "that damned vest."  I also carry a Kel-Tec P32 in my back pocket*.

*(Hint: Unzip the little gun bag the P32 comes in about half-way, tucking the zipper tab down next to the spine of the bag.  Put the P32 butt-down in the bag and put the whole thing in your back pocket with the butt of the pistol to the outside.  The bag keeps the pistol from printing, and you can draw the pistol by reaching into the bag, hooking the trigger guard with your index finger, and pulling it out.  The pistol rolls into your hand discreetly with a minimum of movement.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I got a Smart Carry belly band a few weeks ago, and for the most part I really like it. It works well with jeans. It does not work so well with thin dress slacks - the butt of the makarov prints quite noticibly (and it's a very sharp, well defined right angle on the magazine, not anything "natural" looking.)

It does fix the "hug problem", but I hadn't thought about little kids climbing in your lap. (I have lots and lots of nieces and nephews.)  It's not been a major problem so far - you always have sharp metal things in your front pockets anyway I guess.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#44]
After 25 years of CCW I give very little thought to it. Here in PA the only place I can't carry is aa courthouse, and they are required by law to provide storage lockers.

Full-size 1911 in an IWB when I leave the house, if it's a shorts and t-shirt day, a Commander in a fanny pack.

The only time I think about it is if I have a reason to drive the 1000 feet into NJ (across one of the little bridges up here on the Delaware). I have to plan that in advance since that 1000 foot drive would turn me from a fine upstanding citizen into a crazed violent felon. Must be something in the air in the PRNJ that causes that.

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been carrying in Pa. for 10 years now. I use different modes of operation, depending on the time of year or where I'm going. I am lucky that I don't have any dress codes at work, so I'm usually in jeans and a t-shirt.

In the summer, I carry an SP101 in a pocket holster. It helps if the jeans fit somewhat loosely, but I like loose jeans anyway since it's more comfortable. It is impossible to tell if I'm carrying in this mode. No printing, no worries about reaching overhead, no need for a pistol belt. A regular belt is still required, but just to keep my pants up! The .357 mag packs a wallop, but is not very accurate. That's not a big problem since if I'm more than a few feet from the target I'm going to try to leave first anyway. Also, I don't usually carry much ammo - usually just a spare speedloader in a little pouch on the left side. It doesn't look like anything gun related, which is good. The downside is you lose the use of a pocket. The upside is I can carry completely concealed while wearing shorts and a tee shirt.

Most other times I carry a Glock 30 in a Blade-Tech IWB, with two spare mags in a carrier on the other side. This setup prints very little (for me), but a good gun belt is mandatory to keep everything where it belongs. This is probably my favorite carry method overall. The spare mags are comforting! A loose fitting tee shirt helps conceal and also aids the draw.

If it's somewhat cold out, sometimes I'll wear an unbuttoned flannel shirt, which hides all printing.

In really cold weather, I sometimes wear a shoulder rig - especially if I'll be mostly driving. In that case I have no problem hiding my Para P1445 and two mags. I like the Galco Miami Classic for this method. I also carry this way on those rare occasions when I'll be wearing a suit all day.

You just have to try things until you find what works for you. I have a box of holsters that didn't work out, like many CCW holders.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I carry a Kimber Gold Combat in a milt sparks IWB (summer special).  Sometimes I carry openly if I am comming back from the range or going to it.  When carrying openly most people just assume I am a cop.  I have gotten free cokes at convience stores because the clerk ASSUMED I was a cop... funny.  I have actually had people ask me if I was a cop or in the military when I carry openly and I just say, "no, just a normal citizen."  Most people in Indiana don't care anyway. I don't worry about printing. Most people wouldn't have any idea that the big crook in your back is a gun ("gasp, oh my god!").  
I think the nervousness is normal though.  I was nervous for a few months but not anymore.  I could care less if I print or someone hears the leather squeeking under my shirt.  I carry openly and concealed and don't give a dam if the cops see me carrying openly or "think" I am packing heat when carrying concealed.
I went to a Golden Coral restaurant one time with my five year old son to eat lunch(I was carrying openly).  There were four detectives eating three tables to my right.  I had to pass them to get to the buffet.  They saw me carrying my .45 and said nothing (which is what I expected, why would they?).  By the way they were all carrying openly also (SIG P229).  I got an initial glance when I first passed them put nothing more.  Indiana is a great state to carry in.  Most people just don't give a damn if you're packing.  

I NEVER leave home without without that .45 pressing up against my side.  A very reassuring feeling.

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#47]
You know you've become to casual with CCW when...

Once upon a time this happened to me. I often carry when working alone in the shop. After the first 2 minutes its routine and you don't even think about it.

Well I got a phone call telling me that a bid offer I had made was accepted and I needed to get them a check overnite. It was to be sent to a P.O. Box so I jumped in the truck and made for the Post Office with the vacuum gauge reading zero.

The wait wasn't bad and the counter person assured that me that I got my Express mail sent on time.

Feeling grand I stopped for a shake on the way back. Only after I was back in the shop and pulling out the case for my sunglasses which required me to move one of the straps of the shoulder rig did I realize that I had just carried a Sig P220 & a Makarov into FED LAND and that I could have found myself in a bottomless pit of fertilizer had anyone noticed and made a fuss.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Great topic,

Do you guys have any special brand of shirts / T-shirts, (clothing in general) that you prefer? I need to change my wardrobe, It seems that all my shirts or T-shirts are all the way down below my hips, it just looks bad, I may have to have them shorten them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I got my ccw right before i started shooting compettivly. after my first taste of shooting under stress i took my gun off for a few months.After my confidence level came up then i started carrying again.Ask yourself(honestly)Can i draw and use this weapon effectivly and quickly 1.5 to 2 seconds or will i get this smoke wagon stuck up my ass?
Nothing,NOTHING, replaces being alert.
A champion shooter was asked"if you were gonna be in a gun fight what gun would you use?"He answered"If i knew i was gonna be in a gunfight that day i would stay home"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top