Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 10:30:30 AM EDT
I am in an interesting situation that I have not heard alot of people talk about. I get home late and night and leave early in the morning, and need to walk my dog both times of the day. It is some of the little time we get together, so I walk him for about 4 miles a day. I wear a t-shirt and mesh shorts as it is hot as hell in New Orleans even during these times of the day. I want to carry, but have no idea what I can do beyond a shoulder holster (I run with him, so it would have to stay in place during running). Open carry is legal down here, but in the golf course area I live in, I think I would send people running with my 1911 in a shoulder hoster.

Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
i used to run in a less than perfect area, but all i carried was my little kel tec 9mm in a belt holster.  i would imagine that would be uncomfortable w/ a 1911.  i wouldn't do a shoulder holster, the pistol would be all over the place IMO and again uncomfortable.

the only thing i can think of is one of those hide in plain sight cases like the sahara strider that blackhawk has.

good luck
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a great time for a fanny pack (assuming you have your CHL).  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:54:19 AM EDT
[#3]
How about something smaller than a 1911 in an empty Camelback?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#4]
OC spray, knife, and a small pocket gun would suffice, I think.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoulder holsters are NOT good for running.

A fag bag might be best as it looks most natural for outdoors stuff.  Other than that ditch the fruity shorts and buy something with belt loops.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#6]
When I have to run with a firearm, its generally my Beretta 92FS (M9) in a fanny pack with a spare mag.  It has a tendence to bounce and shift but then I'm doing PT in a combat or hostile area.  Used to run with a older Gerber Guardian for protection from dogs when running thru the Alps (guns were a NO-NO).

CD
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry one or both of my Keltec P32s when I exercise. They ride my front pockets of my shorts and weigh only 8oz. each fully loaded with 8rds each.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I've thrown my Glock 36 in my Camelbak while riding bikes before. It seems to work pretty well. You could easily do the same when you're walking . I don't know think that would be very good running though, especially with a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you put a holster on the dog?  Just kidding.z
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you considered a chest holster. Your upper torso doesn't move much when jogging so there wouldn't be alot of bouncing. Whatever you decide I think you'd have allot better luck if you downsized your weapon for your workout.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've thrown my Glock 36 in my Camelbak while riding bikes before.

I may start doing that with my 19. I ride in some pretty remote places sometimes. Never know what could happen. I guess I don't need to worry about the condensation rusting my glock?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#13]
You should check into the Smart Carry. The guy who makes them is in Largo, FL
I have used mine for a few years now and it is great for CCW. It will work with a baggy pair of shorts and I wear mine with kakhi's and jeans all the time. Works best with a pair of pants with pleats in front for larger frame handguns but I wear mine with jeans and shorts with my Commander or my Glock 23 all the time. The thing I love is that you can carry with shirt tucked in and no one knows it is there. I have sat in hours of meetings at a desk all day and even dirve while carrying with this system. Pull your waist band of pants out with weak hand and draw the weapon. I have ran with this system and it is comfortable and works great. The only negative I would have to say it that sometimes the commander beaver tail can be somewhat uncomfortable sitting down if you have not adjusted (hiched up) your pants before sitting down. The beaver tail tends to poke you in the stomach a bit. Super simple carry rig and great price.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've thrown my Glock 36 in my Camelbak while riding bikes before.

I may start doing that with my 19. I ride in some pretty remote places sometimes. Never know what could happen. I guess I don't need to worry about the condensation rusting my glock?

I wash my glock in the sink.  You do not need to worry about condensation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I quit working out.

It pretty much solved the problem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's a new product that was brought to my attention

Goblin

Goblin
Undercover surveillance. Long protective details. Special operations. Around town with the family. CamelBak’s NEW line of concealed carry packs allows you to carry two of your most valuable pieces of equipment for hours without attracting unnecessary attention…your firearm and water. High-quality, civilian design and color choices help operators blend into the crowd. Comfortably carry a handgun and extra clip. Hook-and-loop in the ID presentation compartment. Two heavy-duty compartment handles enable quick access to your weapon.

• Microfleece waistbelt is comfortable next to bare skin and stable enough for long runs
• Easy access to secure concealed weapon and gear compartment
• Civilian design and appearance
• Comes with holster
• Generous hook-and-loop panels for ID and other gear pouches

specificationsCapacity: 28 oz (0.8 L)
Dimensions: 8 in x 10 in x 4 in (203 mm x 254 mm x 102 mm)
Volume: Cargo only - 305 cu in (5.0 L) including water - 354 cu in (5.8 L)
Weight: Empty reservoir - 1.1 lbs (0.50 kg) filled reservoir - 2.8 lbs (1.28 kg)

Personally, I'm tempted to get this to use as a "keep in the back of the SUV incase the SHTF and I need to get home to get my gear" bag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top